Responsibility and Accountability in a SHTF Situation

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Responsibility and Accountability in a SHTF Situation

Post by raptor » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:30 pm

Stercutus wrote:While unrelated to the incidents in NOLA the other shoe seems to have dropped on these guys and this seemed a good a place as any to drop this in there.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/10 ... rds-trial/
Four former Blackwater security guards were found guilty Wednesday in the 2007 shootings of more than 30 Iraqis in Baghdad, and a federal judge ordered them immediately to jail.

In an overwhelming victory for prosecutors, a jury found Nicholas Slatten guilty of first-degree murder. The three other guards -- Paul Slough, Evan Liberty and Dustin Heard -- were found guilty of multiple counts of voluntary manslaughter, attempted manslaughter and gun charges.

The four men had been charged with a combined 33 counts in the shootings and the jury was able to reach a verdict on all of them, with the exception of three charges against Heard. The prosecution agreed to drop those charges.

The outcome after a summer long trial and weeks of jury deliberation stunned the defense.....

You pull the trigger, you own those bullets for life. It does not matter who you are.

Most of us who have lived in the profession of arms for years or decades understand this. Buying a gun and learning how to use it does not give you any better judgment. If trained policemen, military and special operator washouts can screw the pooch so can you.

Indeed the Black Water case is exactly an example of accountability for your actions.

Here is an incident that took place outside of the sovereign jurisdiction of the US. Yet the players were called to judgement for their actions in Washington D.C.

The company and several company officers were indicted in addition to the actual shooters.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014 ... trial.html
In 2010, prosecutors obtained indictments against former Blackwater president Gary Jackson and four others on felony firearms violations involving dozens of weapons. All charges against three of the accused were dismissed after a federal judge ruled to reduce several of the felony charges to misdemeanors. Jackson and the former company vice president admitted guilt on misdemeanor charges.
Last year, Academi settled federal criminal charges against the company, paying a $7.5 million fine for firearms violations. Academi also settled lawsuits brought by survivors of the Iraqi civilians killed during the Baghdad shooting.
It is an interesting case on a lot of grounds.

I would note that US citizens can be held accountable for crimes committed in foreign jurisdictions. The most common use of this is to prosecute people for crimes committed on the high seas or in international air travel.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:46 pm

Many of our newer members have not seen some of the older posts and I will be giving some of the older stickied posts a free bump.

Free bump.

JakeMcCandles

Post by JakeMcCandles » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:25 pm

This is a great thread - glad to see it bumped back up for newer members. I enjoyed reading it back in 2010, and going back through it again has been interesting.

As I've re-read the material, I can't help but wonder how the more recent events in Ferguson, St. Louis, NYC, Chicago, etc. would change the narrative. I'll avoiding going down the political route, but it seems that today there is much more organized opposition to LEOs of all types.

In the next natural disaster, how would that change the dynamic? Interesting to consider.
Emmett Quincy: That don't bring nobody to mind. A funny lip?
Rooster Cogburn: Wasn't always like that, I shot him in it.
Emmett Quincy: In the lower lip? What was you aiming at?
Rooster Cogburn: His upper lip.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:59 pm

JakeMcCandles wrote:This is a great thread - glad to see it bumped back up for newer members. I enjoyed reading it back in 2010, and going back through it again has been interesting.

As I've re-read the material, I can't help but wonder how the more recent events in Ferguson, St. Louis, NYC, Chicago, etc. would change the narrative. I'll avoiding going down the political route, but it seems that today there is much more organized opposition to LEOs of all types.

In the next natural disaster, how would that change the dynamic? Interesting to consider.
Thanks for the kind words.

As to last question. I cannot speak for other areas.

IMO the NOPD?

I have read and heard and from several NOPD words to the effect of:

"If that happens again...you are on your own... I am not hanging around to help."

The NOPD is at a historical low head count. The force is demoralized and those that can retire are doing so ASAP. They are hiring about 75 a year and at one point losing 300 per year. The response times are "improving" from 73 minutes to an average of 15 minutes at least for the last 30 days. However that "improvement" will not last and was really done for the Mardi Gras visitors.

I suspect that their response will be quite different next time. It is likely their response will be simply to leave or stay in the police compounds.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:57 am

Bumping this due to Harvey's effects. There have been a few people shot and HPD has arrested a couple dozen 'armed looters' in addition to the more common people doing crimes of opportunity. A key theme from raptor's initial post and most of the followups has been that while the S was truly HTF last week, you will be held by the standards of this week in subsequent legal matters.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:54 pm

This is another aspect of responsibility and accountability in a SHTF situation.

The hero in this article is a grocer well actually the President of HEB in Texas.

He is responding in a "can do" way to take care of his employees, customers, community and business. Yes his motivation is to make money but he has the means, ability and responsibility to supply the needs to customers as well make sure his employees get paid and continue their employment.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/inside-s ... hip-cutter

In Texas, a grocery chain is now inspiring memes.

One goes like this: "State and federal resources are struggling to get into impacted areas. H.E.B. — outta the way, we're coming."

Another adds: "I’ll see your FEMA and Red Cross and raise you my Texas grocery store chain."
All rules are off when you have a hurricane.

....snip....

In 2005, my first hurricane was Hurricane Rita in Beaumont, Tex. FEMA closed the city; they wanted everybody to leave and they wouldn't let anybody in. I had 70 stores without power. I needed to get my perishable product out because it starts to rot. FEMA wouldn't meet with me. So, after two days, I got three busses and filled them with people and I typed up a letter that said, "To whom it may concern, these people are authorized by me to clean out the H-E-B stores and get them ready for business." I got a Cadillac Escalade and put a flashing blue light on top. The police stopped them and said, "You can't come in." They handed them the letter from me on my letterhead and the policeman read it and said, "I guess you can come in." We kind of coined the phrase fake it 'til you make it. That's the way we go about handling natural disasters. We'll do whatever it takes.

On Tuesday, we changed our strategy to say, let’s get product to the stores that are closest to the distribution centers because we knew we have the greatest likelihood of getting the trucks to and from them. Then, we'll work out in concentric circles and we'll send cars out to see: Can we get there and can we get back and what are the routes? The number of deliveries we've made everyday have just gone up exponentially.

I think I said on Thursday of this week, I don't even know what day it is. Someone told me, hey, the Astros signed Justin Verlander. I had no idea. I really don't know too much of what's going on in the world, but I can tell you what's happening area-by-area on flooding. Yesterday, they put a water ban on one part of Houston. Within five minutes, we had a truck rolling to that area. Once they put a water ban on, people go crazy. Like they have to get water immediately. If you can't get water into a city, you're going to have civil unrest.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:01 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:Bumping this due to Harvey's effects. There have been a few people shot and HPD has arrested a couple dozen 'armed looters' in addition to the more common people doing crimes of opportunity. A key theme from raptor's initial post and most of the followups has been that while the S was truly HTF last week, you will be held by the standards of this week in subsequent legal matters.
What grocery store? Because I'd like to see them immortalized in memes.

Not because they've sought such a thing, but because they deserve such a thing.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:47 pm

LowKey wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:Bumping this due to Harvey's effects. There have been a few people shot and HPD has arrested a couple dozen 'armed looters' in addition to the more common people doing crimes of opportunity. A key theme from raptor's initial post and most of the followups has been that while the S was truly HTF last week, you will be held by the standards of this week in subsequent legal matters.
What grocery store? Because I'd like to see them immortalized in memes.

Not because they've sought such a thing, but because they deserve such a thing.
HEB is the store. See the above article.

As for my "meme" I think Phil meant theme.

delarey

Post by delarey » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:18 am

Great thread! I agree that even if everything has gone to hell, you can still be held accountable.
Also agree that the last thing you want to hear is "we are from the government and we are here to help...". Stay as far away from people: civvies and first responders/ LEO, NG, etc. as possible.
I respect them all, but with heightened emotions and stress, common sense and decency go out the window.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”