My Adventure with the blizzard this morning.

Share a survival experience with us and explain what you learned from it. You might help someone.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DesertGator33

My Adventure with the blizzard this morning.

Post by DesertGator33 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:31 am

First and foremost, some of these facts may be scatter-brained and this may need to be re-written, I've just stepped inside from the story I'm about to tell and had my first cup of coffee.

I'm a Correctional Officer, and for obvious reasons, despite the current blizzard causing pretty much everything to shut down, I had to go in to work. A co-worker came for me at about 4:30, and the roads were already filled with drifts and the snow coming down caused extreme low-visibility. We took back roads with less snow and zero traffic and made it about a block away from work. With no warning we swerved and missed rear-ending a ford that had been abandoned in the middle of the road.
We high-centered on a drift and for a moment I honestly thought we had somehow lost the road and ended up in someone's front yard.
During a break in the snow-gusts, we got out and assessed the circumstances. We were stuck and the wheels were freespinning to no avail. We called work and asked for some assistance, but the miserable bastards were next to useless and didn't want to come help us despite being pissed off that we weren't there to relieve them yet. shortly after we were stuck our OIC called us and told us she was stuck as well. I contacted my girlfriend's cousin, who has a pretty nice truck and the best potential to pull us out.
So we get some back and forth traffic between work and the cousin, and monitor work on our radio and hear their attempts to come get us. By about 5:25 we decide to check the truck in front of us and see if there's a shovel or anything useful to help us. Sure as shit there's a flathead and I'm leaning over to grab it when I hear the sharp crack of a .22lr
That was enough to put me back in the truck at high-speed. I still am unsure where the shot came from, never heard an impact, but keep in mind we were in the middle of the storm in low visibility and the shot rang out clear. Being in the ghetto of town I'm assuming someone thought we were going to steal the truck they'd abandoned as a hazard like ass-holes right next to their property, or there was some form of contraband in there they didn't want anyone to see.
At this point we both put on our pistols (not duty issue, CHL) and decided not to get out of the vehicle again. By 5:45 we hear back from cousin, who tells us he's not going to be able to make it. Cousin is about 8 miles out of town and the drifts are even worse out there, he almost stuck his truck so he had to turn around. Work shows up by 6 with shovels and expects us to dig out. They have a truck but refuse to hook up or push us (we didn't have a good tow strap, but it was doable). So these ass-holes leave us with the shovels, say very little, seem unconcerned about whether we can get out safe or not, because they've realized at this point they're probably going to work a double and thats more important than our safety and well-being.
We spend 45 minutes or so digging and taking breaks (the snow is blinding and I had a pair of sunglasses that were useless between the steam from my body and the way the precipitation would freeze on the outer lense) and realize that there's no digging out. We decide by 6:30 that we have to abandon the truck, and get to our OIC (she's stuck in the middle of the main highway through town, liable to get hit). So we dry up and warm off in his truck (no heater so we use a small portable heater to dry our clothes) and we push out. I'm carrying approximately 35lbs. of food, water, blankets, and other road essentials in my pack.
We make it 2 blocks when PD pulls up in the only working road assistance truck from the city. They give us a lift about a block from the location (couldn't get closer due to the drifts) and vent to us about how the city had months of notice and did nothing to prep. We ruck through the last block to her truck, and warm up for a bit. Eventually the crew from a tow truck comes to help us and we dig this truck out. After about 30 minutes we get it unstuck, only to get stuck a block up behind the snow plow and 3 tow trucks (all stuck).
Some Airmen from the local base show up in their red jeep and tow us out (I'm calling their wing commander today, they saved 13 vehicles in the time we were out with them because they were off work, no other reason, just damn good guys).
So the Airmen take my Co-Worker back to his truck and unstick him, and I ride with my OIC to make sure she gets home safe.
We get to her house, I hit the head, get some coffee, dry my clothes, and decide to ruck home (about 8 miles).
At this point, the snow has quit coming down, the only stuff in the air is from the ground, and I'm getting more visibility with my sunglasses due to the sunlight.
My walk home took about an hour and a half, in that time I saw drifts every 2 blocks, and about 16 cars abandoned in the middle of the road. There was very little foot traffic on the roads other than myself, but several broken power lines and a few people trying to dig out that hadn't abandoned their POV yet. On my journey home, I updated my girlfriend via cell-phone who kept my coworker and OIC in the loop every 8 blocks or so. I also had my room-mate monitor ham and keep me posted on what roads were the best routes to take.
Overall, it was an eventful morning, and I'm glad I had my gear, however it can use some work, and I need to be more careful not to forget my jacket!
I'll post a photo of the gear I was working with during the walk, so people can get an idea of the circumstances. I'm also going to post a list of points and conclusions I've come to since taking this winter wonderland stroll:

1. Depending on a small county's officials to organize and prep for inclement weather out of the norm is useless
2. Never forget your jacket at home
3. Sig Sauer pistols can have icesicles hanging off of them and if you tap and rack they are ready to bang regardless
4. 5'11 Ripstop clothing is great at absorbing moisture, including snow.
5. Goggles are a must, not cheap sunglasses, or clear leans eyepro capable of fogging with your breath if you're wearing a gaitor neck
6. HAM is invaluable when plotting a Bug Out route in circumstances like these, even if you have someone operating for you and keeping you updated
7. This small Desert Town isn't capable of functioning in Snow

So that's my story! I'm sure it was long and a little sporadic! but I hope someone can learn from it, I know I did. I'm also open to advice from those of you in colder states that probably deal with this type of stuff regularly, especially on the following subjects:

1: Advice on a nice weatheproof winter jacket in case I had to make a similar walk again

2: Advice on Goggles for the same reason

3: Advice on footwear that might work better (I used Bates ultralites on the way here, but they had a hard time when I stepped into 3-5 feet or more of snow).

EDIT: I just talked to my Co-Worker, we were closer to 3 blocks from work, and the only open road-path would take us around in a horse-shoe to get to work, which would expand our journey to 7 blocks total (he just confirmed the trip with our co-workers).

Posting the photos below:

http://imgur.com/a/45B4v

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: My Adventure with the blizzard this morning.

Post by raptor » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:39 pm

Wow great post thanks for sharing.

Do you mind telling us the state in which this occurred? I assume blizzards are not the norm for area, or is it Storm "Goliath"? I adk this based upon the local response.

That said it sounds like you dealt with the situation very well.
Last edited by raptor on Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:47 pm

We get to her house, I hit the head, get some coffee, dry my clothes, and decide to ruck home (about 8 miles).
At this point, the snow has quit coming down, the only stuff in the air is from the ground, and I'm getting more visibility with my sunglasses due to the sunlight.
My walk home took about an hour and a half,
That is pretty darn quick.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:42 pm

raptor wrote:Wow great post thanks for sharing.

Do you mind telling us the state in which this occurred? I assume blizzards are not the norm for area, or is it Storm "Goliath"? I adk this based upon the local response.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/portal ... ngs/334567

Portales NM, like I said, we aren't used to this type of weather, from what I've heard from local HAMs it hasn't occurred since about 97 or so.

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:45 pm

Stercutus wrote:
My walk home took about an hour and a half,
That is pretty darn quick.
It was actually closer to 6, I calculated the distance on google maps a while after I was home. I crossed most of the intersections at a sprint, not wanting to expose myself to traffic as I crossed, and cut through several yards and parks, which shortened the distance that I actually walked in comparison to what Maps predicted.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:32 pm

The Link to accuweather shows 23 degrees with wind chill of -8 :shock: right now at 04"10 pm . It must have been colder in the am. How did it feel without a jacket? Did the exertion keep you warm enough? Scary stuff. Must be blowing like hell to get those kind of drifts with so little snowfall.
To be honest I depend more on layering then leaving it all to a jacket. I normally wear a carthart work jacket but with several layers of shirts/sweaters. But I do have a N3B for those really windy, cold, snowy,icy MF'n days.
Last edited by flybynight on Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:04 pm

DesertGator33 wrote:

Do you mind telling us the state in which this occurred? I assume blizzards are not the norm for area, or is it Storm "Goliath"? I ask this based upon the local response.

Portales NM, like I said, we aren't used to this type of weather, from what I've heard from local HAMs it hasn't occurred since about 97 or so.
Geez that is freaking cold.

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:44 pm

flybynight wrote:The Link to accuweather shows 23 degrees with wind chill of -8 :shock: right now at 04"10 pm . It must have been colder in the am. How did it feel without a jacket? Did the exertion keep you warm enough? Scary stuff. Must be blowing like hell to get those kind of drifts with so little snowfall.
To be honest I depend more on layering then leaving it all to a jacket. I normally wear a carthart work jacket but with several layers of shirts/sweaters. But I do have a N3B for those really windy, cold, snowy,icy MF'n days.
That grey exterior pull-over was my buddies, it, the gator neck, and the beanie were all stiff on at least 4 different occasions covered in frost. The movement around the original truck and after getting dropped off by PD were the worst parts. Once I actually made the long trek home the snow had quit coming down and I was only getting the residual powder from the ground. To be completely honest, if my route didn't let me walk with the wind rather than against, it wouldn't have been possible.

The layers and the rate of march definitely kept me insulated, but I spent two hours drinking coffee and bundling up in bed after getting home. The most interesting part for me was that the 226 was covered in condensation and frozen, but when I performed a function check it had no issues whatsoever (although I wasn't able to fire it for obvious reasons).

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:44 pm

raptor wrote:
DesertGator33 wrote:

Do you mind telling us the state in which this occurred? I assume blizzards are not the norm for area, or is it Storm "Goliath"? I ask this based upon the local response.

Geez that is freaking cold.
Much colder than I'm used to around here :lol:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:02 pm

DesertGator33 wrote:
flybynight wrote:The Link to accuweather shows 23 degrees with wind chill of -8 :shock: right now at 04"10 pm . It must have been colder in the am. How did it feel without a jacket? Did the exertion keep you warm enough? Scary stuff. Must be blowing like hell to get those kind of drifts with so little snowfall.
That grey exterior pull-over was my buddies, it, the gator neck, and the beanie were all stiff on at least 4 different occasions covered in frost. The movement around the original truck and after getting dropped off by PD were the worst parts. Once I actually made the long trek home the snow had quit coming down and I was only getting the residual powder from the ground. To be completely honest, if my route didn't let me walk with the wind rather than against, it wouldn't have been possible.

The layers and the rate of march definitely kept me insulated, but I spent two hours drinking coffee and bundling up in bed after getting home. The most interesting part for me was that the 226 was covered in condensation and frozen, but when I performed a function check it had no issues whatsoever (although I wasn't able to fire it for obvious reasons).
This time of year we keep a cold weather gear bag. We have our regular clothes and gear and then extra gear that's kept in the bag in case of some kind of event or emergency. In the bag are extra gloves ( heavy insulated work type) extra wool socks, scarf. wool sweater, insulated hat ( and beanie). a lightweight but warm balaclava. small emergency edc kit and insulated bib overalls. All packed in a smallish duffle bag. When we leave the house, it goes in the truck.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:25 pm

flybynight wrote:
DesertGator33 wrote:

This time of year we keep a cold weather gear bag. We have our regular clothes and gear and then extra gear that's kept in the bag in case of some kind of event or emergency. In the bag are extra gloves ( heavy insulated work type) extra wool socks, scarf. wool sweater, insulated hat ( and beanie). a lightweight but warm balaclava. small emergency edc kit and insulated bib overalls. All packed in a smallish duffle bag. When we leave the house, it goes in the truck.
That's what the bag in the pictures is, the green attachment case is the IFAK. It also had a sleeping bag, microfiber blankets, about 3 days worth of food and water for 1 adult, flashlight, signaling devices, firestarter kit, extra gloves, a box of 9mm, 2 changes of socks, and a radio.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:24 pm

What city and state? I'm guessing California.

I noticed you have some white cotton long john bottoms. Ditch them. Buy some polypropylene tops and bottoms. Try Sierra Trading Post.

My jacket recommendation is a Mountain Hardware synthetic fill jacket. I couldn't wear it for more that 10 minutes with out unzipping. That was a hot jacket.

Can't remember the model but MH has a down version on clearance.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:51 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:What city and state? I'm guessing California.

I noticed you have some white cotton long john bottoms. Ditch them. Buy some polypropylene tops and bottoms. Try Sierra Trading Post.

My jacket recommendation is a Mountain Hardware synthetic fill jacket. I couldn't wear it for more that 10 minutes with out unzipping. That was a hot jacket.

Can't remember the model but MH has a down version on clearance.
Portales NM actually, the 20 round sig definitely wouldn't pass cali's socialist gun laws

I'm actually thinking of an inexpensive goretex another member posted a review on, the warming layers worked just fine, if I could've stayed dry it would have been much easier

I'm currently waiting on a buddy to ship me 2 more sets of Polypros he "tactically acquired" from supply shortly before his EAS, but I'll look at Sierra Trading post, I'd love to have some extras around the house or in the vehicle for the right price.

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:23 pm

DesertGator33 wrote:1: Advice on a nice weatheproof winter jacket in case I had to make a similar walk again

2: Advice on Goggles for the same reason

3: Advice on footwear that might work better (I used Bates ultralites on the way here, but they had a hard time when I stepped into 3-5 feet or more of snow).

EDIT: I just talked to my Co-Worker, we were closer to 3 blocks from work, and the only open road-path would take us around in a horse-shoe to get to work, which would expand our journey to 7 blocks total (he just confirmed the trip with our co-workers).

Posting the photos below:

http://imgur.com/a/45B4v

Sounds like a great time..... Only kidding, glad you made it safely.

As for the advice, go with a layered system, gore tex is always great as an outer layer. This type of system will allow you to shed layers or add them as needed. Honestly the brand really isn't super important to me on an outer layer so long as it's gore tex and seam sealed well.

Goggles will fog on your face in weather like that when you're working hard most of the time. My advice is to get some ESS with polarized lenses or some ski/snowboard goggles that already have them. Get some decent anti-fog wipes or spray and use it then leave the goggles in the car/truck. Keeping those in a warm place will make the problems worse when you have to use them outside.

Footwear, I absolutely swear by Salomon and have some of their CS/WP boots that are thinsulate lined but I can't remember the model of boot. I've used these in the mountains of Colorado in the snow as well as sub zero temps in Indiana with high wind speeds and they're great. Their Toundra would be a great boot for that situation IMO.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:05 am

Two more gear suggestions.

A pair of Gore Tex trousers like the ECWCS or even Frogg Toggs. They will help cut the wind and more importantly, slow the absorption of water in your fabric trousers.

Secondly, get a 3X or 4X reflective traffic safety vest. It will be big enough to go over your pack and winter clothes. It would be a pity for you to be flattened by a snow plow while hoofing it home.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:12 am

1. Layer. Warmth on the inside. Protective shell on the outside.
2. Eyes. Protect from poking, sun and elements. Treat glass/plastic for anti-fog.
3. Feet. The best answer involves having more than one pair of shoes, the use of galoshes/gaitors, etc. Danner, for one, makes a boot that is both warm and very durable but some frown upon using it for longer walks. Would I wear mine for hotter periods? I would prefer not to. You know the weather and clime for your locale better than I do.

I cannot emphasize enough my agreement with the reflective safety vest. The plow truck always has the right away. In Europe, I observe that nearly everyone that gets out of their car anywhere dons a reflective coat if there is a lot of traffic around (highways).
https://www.coldweatherworkwear.com/ess ... afety.html

It is a difficult time of the year to see people even without extreme conditions.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:06 pm

Thanks for sharing your story! Enjoyed reading it.

...was there a reason you left your Boss's house to brave the elements on foot for miles and miles?

Impressive nonetheless, and don't read too deep into my question, but I'm just curious why you decided not to shelter in place?

Test your gear?
PT?
Dog needed to go outside?
Hot date?
You're really the Highlander in disguise?

I reread your story but didn't see why...

:awesome:

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:04 pm

Tobias05 wrote:Thanks for sharing your story! Enjoyed reading it.

...was there a reason you left your Boss's house to brave the elements on foot for miles and miles?

Impressive nonetheless, and don't read too deep into my question, but I'm just curious why you decided not to shelter in place?

Test your gear?
PT?
Dog needed to go outside?
Hot date?
You're really the Highlander in disguise?

I reread your story but didn't see why...

:awesome:

At the time the snowfall had stopped, the only powder in the air was coming from the ground. The wind was blowing with the direction I needed to travel, so I wasn't having to go against the grain so to speak. We were expecting power outtages and frozen/broken pipes, I wanted to be home with my significant other, and this seemed like the only foreseeable time to make that happen before the storm intensified. I calculated the route and made sure I had gas stations and other businesses I could stop in at and warm myself in. I also kept my girlfriend updated every 8 blocks or so who in turn kept my roommate notified and was ready to broadcast my last location on ham if I missed a 20 minute window.

I debated on staying with my boss, but in these circumstances she's got some whiskey and a couple bottles of water in an emergency, At my home we have 32 gallons of water, about 3 weeks worth of dry and canned foods, A mounted J Pole, extra blankets, and a much better insulated home, if this came down to living for a week in home (which the local airforce base predicted could happen) I wanted to be somewhere I was more capable of doing so.

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:12 pm

For the suggestions on boots, eye pro, and external layers I appreciate the help. I used issued Gore-Tex ESS and Danners (Actually the boots in the picture are Bates Ultralites) but I am from the Desert, was stationed in Pendleton, and didn't travel anywhere beyond Oki, Australia, and the Philippines, I figured I would check with Subject Matter Experts from cold environments for pro-tips before assuming what I'm familiar with is the only or best equipment.

It seems in shifting climate conditions, we are susceptible to blizzards, even if the magnitude isn't near what other parts of the country face on a regular basis. For this purpose, I wanted to make sure that I got some sound advice and opinions from cold weather climate inhabitants on what works best.

Tobias, from your signature, I assume you know as well as I do, half of the CIF list is less than adequate, but you're forced to make it work regardless. As a civilian now paying for my gear, I'd like to invest my money in exactly what I need. Once again I really appreciate the feedback thus far, and am open to any and all suggestions, thus far it's looking like I'll be ordering A Gore-Tex top and some ESS Goggles.

3cyl

Post by 3cyl » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:52 am

Why didn't you walk to work?

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:53 pm

3cyl wrote:Why didn't you walk to work?
I saw this and was thinking 'it was snowing', but then went back and realized you bottomed out a block from work.
If I was one of the guys who had to work a double shift with the weather getting worse because you wouldn't walk a block, I would have said quite a bit.

One block?
You are going to have some fences to mend.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

SheepDog68

Post by SheepDog68 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:37 pm

I would also upgrade the cotton long underwear, but I'd go with merino wool instead of plastic myself! Not only do I like wearing it better I like that fire doesn't cause it to shrink wrap you like plastic does.

The other easy upgrade is a good merino wool sweater can be $20-$25 if bought in a resale shop or on eBay! The 1/4 zip or 1/4 button ups are easy to live with and pack nicely as well.

SD

Si vis pacem, para bellum!

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:45 pm

3cyl wrote:Why didn't you walk to work?
Our Administrator contacted us after getting our OIC out and told us to get home, rest up. Approximately 2 of the 4 shifts we work with (so half of our floor officers) live in a neighboring city, and the roads between us were shut down, so we've been rotating between the 2 shifts constantly, instead of working 12 hours, we've been working 16 hours with swing shifts in between to compensate for the loss of numbers, it's been great for OT

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:46 pm

SheepDog68 wrote:I would also upgrade the cotton long underwear, but I'd go with merino wool instead of plastic myself! Not only do I like wearing it better I like that fire doesn't cause it to shrink wrap you like plastic does.

The other easy upgrade is a good merino wool sweater can be $20-$25 if bought in a resale shop or on eBay! The 1/4 zip or 1/4 button ups are easy to live with and pack nicely as well.

SD
Any Suggestions on brands?

Return to “Survival Experiences”