Odd Preps: The things you can't live without

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Re: Odd Preps: The things you can't live without

Post by LyraJean » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:03 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
grumpyviking wrote:
JackBauer wrote:
grumpyviking wrote:I cant think of anything I cant live without, except maybe good health, I reckon we all need that one.
Good health doesn't exist in a vacuum by itself, STUFF, both physical and mental/spiritual is required to maintain good health.
I don't agree, one either has good health or one dosent. it dosent necessarily need STUFF for one to have it, we may need stuff to get it back.
Do you honestly believe your current good health has nothing to do with years of modern sanitation, vaccinations, clean drinking water and access to dental and health care? To say nothing of an uninterrupted and safe food supply, climate-managed shelter and clothing?

I mean, I get what you are saying that some people have generally more robust constitutions than others. But really, the good health and vastly increased life expectancy that we've all come to expect in modern times isn't because we're inherently healthier than our ancestors. STUFF, as it were, has made all the difference.
Also let's not forget mental health and I think that is what this particular thread, at least indirectly, is talking about. If you don't have a comfort object or some sort of shred of civilization you could go literally go mad. This happened to quite a few pioneer women once they had a claim. No children just herself and a husband. So husband goes to town to find work which depending on where their claim is is no small distance. Woman has to live on the claim in order to fulfill the agreement. The ones who felt like they brought a piece of civilization with them like having a house big enough for a separate sitting room or even just eating off the good china instead of tin or wooden plates were more likely not to go mad. The ones who either didn't think about or for some reason had to leave their comfort or lost them usually didn't make it. They went a little mad or at least suffered a form of PTSD.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:36 am

that depends on the person, we don't all NEED others around us, a lot of the time its other people that are the problem.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:49 am

grumpyviking wrote:that depends on the person, we don't all NEED others around us, a lot of the time its other people that are the problem.
Your relentlessly negative outlook on people and society in this and other threads sometimes makes me think you've already been living in a sort of personal apocalypse for some time now. If so, I am sorry. But it does beg the question: why bother even participating in a community forum like Zombie Squad? Particularly because ZS is predicated on the idea of helping other people. Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's kind of our mission here.

Perhaps you're a little more dependent on the trappings of human society than you allow. Something to consider, but in the meantime, maybe stop thread-crapping on topics whose premise you clearly don't believe in the first place.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:32 am

majorhavoc wrote:
grumpyviking wrote:that depends on the person, we don't all NEED others around us, a lot of the time its other people that are the problem.
Your relentlessly negative outlook on people and society in this and other threads sometimes makes me think you've already been living in a sort of personal apocalypse for some time now. If so, I am sorry. But it does beg the question: why bother even participating in a community forum like Zombie Squad? Particularly because ZS is predicated on the idea of helping other people. Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's kind of our mission here.

Perhaps you're a little more dependent on the trappings of human society than you allow. Something to consider, but in the meantime, maybe stop thread-crapping on topics whose premise you clearly don't believe in the first place.
just because others do not agree with my opinion is no reason for me to stop having an opinion, that's what democracy is about.
you can ban me but that wont stop me having an opinion, just stop me voicing it.
it would be a boring old world if everyone agreed all the time.
helping other people is all very good and laudable, but watch it dosent come back and bite y'all on the bum(butt) :lol:
Last edited by grumpyviking on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:46 am

My kid's favorite toys, if we had to bug out we wouldn't be able to bring them all. I would probably make sure we have his Curious George and his Spiderman.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:01 pm

grumpyviking wrote: helping other people is all very good and laudable, but watch it dosent come back and bite y'all on the bum(butt) :lol:
It seldom has.
One of the things I cannot do without IS other people. or perhaps would prefer NOT to...
I could exist, I suppose, but it would be a bleak existence.

AND you are derailing another thread, please stop.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:12 pm

grumpyviking wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:

just because others do not agree with my opinion is no reason for me to stop having an opinion, that's what democracy is about.
you can ban me but that wont stop me having an opinion, just stop me voicing it.
it would be a boring old world if everyone agreed all the time.
helping other people is all very good and laudable, but watch it dosent come back and bite y'all on the bum(butt) :lol:
Having a resident Eeyore around is helpful. Not only will they nearly always take the opposite view they will point out every potential flaw they can think of. On a large team you want at least one. The problem here is that with a large team the leader will shut him down when he has fulfilled his role. Here he just keeps repeating the same "it will never work" mantra, just more loudly.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Post by Sun Yeti » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:52 pm

It's on nowhere the same level of want as my desire to be able to shave, but I'm now thinking about keeping a backup supply of mint flavored toothpicks. Great for cleaning one's teeth a bit after eating, and also a small, portable luxury that you can indulge in while continuing to work/walk or whatever. And you can share them with people. I have never smoked, but I imagine it shares many of the same appeals as cigarettes.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:47 pm

Sun Yeti wrote:It's on nowhere the same level of want as my desire to be able to shave, but I'm now thinking about keeping a backup supply of mint flavored toothpicks. Great for cleaning one's teeth a bit after eating, and also a small, portable luxury that you can indulge in while continuing to work/walk or whatever. And you can share them with people. I have never smoked, but I imagine it shares many of the same appeals as cigarettes.
My grandfather was never seen without a toothpick either in his mouth or in his shirt pocket. A toothpick as silly and simple as it is, can be a wonderful little thing.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:53 am

Stercutus wrote:
Having a resident Eeyore around is helpful. Not only will they nearly always take the opposite view they will point out every potential flaw they can think of. On a large team you want at least one. The problem here is that with a large team the leader will shut him down when he has fulfilled his role. Here he just keeps repeating the same "it will never work" mantra, just more loudly.
never having "ticked the box" or "toed the party line"("I am not a number I am a free man ") I have my own opinions about things, some of the time I might agree, most of the time I don't-especially if the said item is viewed "through rose tinted glasses", there is an old saying:" if something can go wrong it WILL go wrong", I merely point out the flaws.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:44 am

grumpyviking wrote: I have my own opinions about things, some of the time I might agree, most of the time I don't-especially if the said item is viewed "through rose tinted glasses"
Even after promising us on page 2 to remove yourself from this thread. Apparently you can 't even agree with yourself. :roll:

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:05 pm

Look guys, I've put grumpyviking on my foe list; but if you keep arguing with him, (especially when you quote him) I still have to notice him.
Please, can you stop following his derailing of threads and stay on topic?
Lately I'm beginning not to want to read or post here as it's getting ridiculous to post on topic, and then later wish I never had done so as the topic went off the rails AGAIN.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:20 pm

don't worry Granny, I'm out of here, no point in trying to help people survive the collapse of society when they don't believe that society can or will ever collapse, I leave you all to your naivety.

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Tea is important.
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:57 pm

Something I guess that I rarely see others placing in their lists, but I make sure I have in my pack as a back up to my EDC is sunglasses.

I am extremely light sensitive, and in bright light I have trouble seeing without sunglasses. So have a backup pair of them in my pack.

Could I live without them, possible, but I would be a ton more vulnerable as my eyesight would be seriously limited and I might miss important details in bright light without them.
ForgeCorvus wrote:Tea is important.
And yes tea is important, I have a good stock of teas in my pack. Black teas, herbal teas, green teas, medicinal teas, soothing calming teas, and so on.

It is amazing how comforting and soothing a warm cup of tea can be.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:26 pm

ineffableone wrote:Something I guess that I rarely see others placing in their lists, but I make sure I have in my pack as a back up to my EDC is sunglasses.

I am extremely light sensitive, and in bright light I have trouble seeing without sunglasses. So have a backup pair of them in my pack.

Could I live without them, possible, but I would be a ton more vulnerable as my eyesight would be seriously limited and I might miss important details in bright light without them.
I know what you mean.
On most days if I'm without sunglasses I have two choices, be in pain now or squint really hard and be in pain later.
I stopped working as a welder because of it, even though my mask was rigged with a filter glass 3EW darker then standard (Most of the guys used 9EW for MIG, I use 12EW)
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:56 am

I can't survive without family, my nieces, nephews, sisters, brothers, in laws, et cetera. Many have moved out into the West or retired to Florida. However most are still within half a tank of gasoline range. When the real bad, long term, shtf days come, the rondevous is at Papaw's, where we will all survive the best we can, with our combined skills, working together.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:26 pm

GHB > BOB > INCH

I know people do things differently, but for me - they are all the same, varying only in scale. I am something of a creature of habit, so I use similarly layed out bags, with similar items, in similar locations with the only difference being size/quantity.
Some of the less common items I carry in all of them, although not necessarily things I "cant" live without, I would just prefer not to.
Pipe and tobacco, tamper, cleaners, lighter and fluid.
brachs peppermints
tony's cajun seasoning
pens/refills - note pads. I've got sometimers in a bad way, if I don't write it down - it didnt happen.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:06 pm

This thread deserves a resurrection

Im kinda one track mind on ALWAYS having coffee. I've updated my preps to include several pounds of green coffee beans and a nice little hand roaster made in Korea https://www.amazon.com/Nuvo-Ceramic-Han ... B00LHEKY68
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:00 am

JackBauer wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:06 pm
This thread deserves a resurrection

Im kinda one track mind on ALWAYS having coffee. I've updated my preps to include several pounds of green coffee beans and a nice little hand roaster made in Korea https://www.amazon.com/Nuvo-Ceramic-Han ... B00LHEKY68
Books. My Kindle's got hundreds of books on it (I'm not really certain how many, but at this point my ebook library vastly outnumbers my not-inconsiderable physical library), last a long time on a charge, doesn't take much to charge, and takes little weight or volume.

There's a benefit to physical literature, especially for critical items (maps, survival reference guides, etc), but I'd consider a eInk ebook reader of some stripe to be a necessity both in terms of avoiding a form of cabin fever and as a reference tool for less immediate needs.

My main regret is that Kindles (and, AFAIK, Kobo readers) can't display locked files. That restricts their utility for things like personal reference files in sub-apocalyptic disasters (medical files, contact lists, and other such PII).

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Post by Sun Yeti » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:11 pm

I recently went to some time and hassle and expense to get an offline copy of wikipedia integrated into my phone (it lives on a high-capacity microSD card).

Now, this certainly has many practical benefits; there's a near-endless number of practical things you could look up. That being said, there's also a significant sanity component. Do you remember the days when your grandfather and your uncle would spend six hours at a family reunion arguing about what year the Nazis invaded Poland? Or which planet the Viking lander landed on? Even without Internet, an offline copy of Wikipedia ends 99% of that type of stupid argument flat in it's tracks, thus sparing the sanity of whoever else has to be around those two people.
I find it uniquely frustrating that so many preppers have their heads in the sand about climate change.

But, I've come to realize there's no point in arguing with someone if there's no possible evidence you could present that would actually change their mind.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:17 pm

Sun Yeti wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:11 pm
I recently went to some time and hassle and expense to get an offline copy of wikipedia integrated into my phone (it lives on a high-capacity microSD card).

Now, this certainly has many practical benefits; there's a near-endless number of practical things you could look up. That being said, there's also a significant sanity component. Do you remember the days when your grandfather and your uncle would spend six hours at a family reunion arguing about what year the Nazis invaded Poland? Or which planet the Viking lander landed on? Even without Internet, an offline copy of Wikipedia ends 99% of that type of stupid argument flat in it's tracks, thus sparing the sanity of whoever else has to be around those two people.
:clap: :awesome:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:56 pm

Sun Yeti wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:11 pm

Certainly saves having to convince the authorities later on that it was a completely accidental death. :wink:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:34 am

I can think of several. I could survive without them, but I'm not sure how much it would feel like living.

Hygiene items people have listed before: floss, nail clippers (my nails curl up.for some reason and it gets annoying when they are long). I also feel strongly about deodorant. I keep travel ones all over the place. I even have one at work in case I for some reason forget it in the morning in the chaos that is getting myself and all my kids ready and out the door. It's one of the most consumable items I would be very sad about when it finally ran out.

Small portable games. People since paleolithic times have played games to occupy their minds. Books for both pleasure and knowledge. I'm a "Canticle for Liebowitz" proponent of the apocolypse.

Lastly, and this sounds strange, one set of earrings. Probably small sterling bobs or silver hoops that wouldn't carch on things and could be re-worn forever. I have some already. I've had three piercings in each ear since I was a teenager and putting earrings on every morning is such a part of my morning routine I think it would be a comfort in a situation where it feels like the world has gone wrong (well, more wrong than it already is).

Read through the entirety of the previous history for this post and I think what the "do everything yourself all the time- you can only rely on yourself- I'll live without the trappings of society and be awesome" people just don't get is that people have never lived that way. We are biologically developed to be social creatures with oversized neo- cortexs who are weak on our own, but mighty together. We have always created and socialized and kept objects for the mere pleasure they bring, whether it is a book, deodorant, shiny rock, or cool-looking stick. I'm a believer in being as self-sufficient as is reasonable given your current time, ability, and budget or I wouldn't be on ZS. But complete self-sufficiency for one person is really a myth created by writers and film-makers.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

Return to “Other Gear”