Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Locked
User avatar
0122358
* * * * *
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland
Location: Purdy...Washington

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 0122358 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:27 am

Well I went out and panic bought five 18 round mec gars for my MK25. $118 shipped. I'm pretty happy about it. Now I'm just deciding on a holster. I'm thinking Gcode since I've already got the MULE drop platform.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

zobmiedown
* * *
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: sierra vista az

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:13 am

So my buddy showed up with all the parts minus hand guards to build his first AR and a 30 pack of beer. We assembled the AR and disassembled the 30 pack. I guess I really am a cheep date.

Now for a question for all the 300 Black Out shooters.

I built two AR's recently in 300 BO. One for me and one for my father in law. I test fired mine a few weeks ago using this ammo that I got from Wal-Mart.

Image

After cleaning and resizing the brass to reload it I had four casings that the primers would not stay in the primer pocket. They literally dropped right back out of the primer pockets.

My father in Law fired his for the first time using the same ammo but it was purchased at one of the local gun shops. He had three casings that the primers popped out of the primer pockets when they were fired causing the weapon to suffer minor jamming issues.

Its worth noting that neither rifle had issues with the Hornady factory loads I had on hand or any of my reloads I had as well.

I check the Remington web site and there are no recalls on this ammo. So what I am wondering is if any one else on here is having issues with this same ammo in their rifles or was it just a case of two bad boxes from two different shops.
Regulators mount up.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6845
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:02 pm

Could just be a bad batch of ammo, Zobmiedown.

Are the boxes marked with the same lot number ?

It might be a good idea to call Remington with the lot numbers and tell them about the issue and see what they think.

zobmiedown
* * *
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: sierra vista az

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:21 pm

Nope two different lot numbers. The one lot is the batch that the primers fell out of when I tried to re-prime the casings but the primers that were in them did not come out when they were first fired. The second batch is the one where the primers came completely out of the casings when they were fired.
Regulators mount up.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6845
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:26 pm

zobmiedown wrote:Nope two different lot numbers. The one lot is the batch that the primers fell out of when I tried to re-prime the casings but the primers that were in them did not come out when they were first fired. The second batch is the one where the primers came completely out of the casings when they were fired.
Well, there goes my suggestion then.

Other than that, I've got nothing.

I have noticed that Remington's 7.62x39 stuff has had almost the same thing happen.

Back when I still had my SKS (before I traded it off for a semi-auto shotgun) I shot some Remington green box 7.62x39 ammo through it and noticed the primers pierced almost all the way through. It was only three rounds out of the box that did that, but it had me curious as to what happened. I figured it was the weak US primers being hit too hard by the firing pin of my rifle and left it at that.

It was unusual, but I had the same thing happen with the Winchester stuff I shot the same day. That had primers backing out a bit, but not enough to jam my rifle or cause any issues.

zobmiedown
* * *
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: sierra vista az

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:55 pm

I have noticed this ammo is in quantity in all the stores here lately so I wonder if the ramped up production and lost qc.
Regulators mount up.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6845
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:45 pm

zobmiedown wrote:I have noticed this ammo is in quantity in all the stores here lately so I wonder if the ramped up production and lost qc.
Maybe one of the drunk monkeys from Century got hired on at Remington to make ammo.

zobmiedown
* * *
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: sierra vista az

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:53 pm

that is possible but why give up a good drunk monkey and all the hours of free entertainment they provide.
Regulators mount up.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6845
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:24 pm

zobmiedown wrote:that is possible but why give up a good drunk monkey and all the hours of free entertainment they provide.
True, but it's only funny until the beer runs out.

Then it's a matter of running like hell with a pissed off monkey close behind.

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4935
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Dogan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:25 pm

Anyone know if I would have stabilization issues running subsonic .22 Hornet in a 1/14 twist barrel?
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:32 pm

Dogan wrote:Anyone know if I would have stabilization issues running subsonic .22 Hornet in a 1/14 twist barrel?
Run it through a stability calculator:
http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4935
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Dogan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:39 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Dogan wrote:Anyone know if I would have stabilization issues running subsonic .22 Hornet in a 1/14 twist barrel?
Run it through a stability calculator:
http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/
If I got a 1/7 barrel it looks like it would be stable. Jesus that's a handy little gadget Doc, thanks, saved it to my favorites. Hmmm. 1/7 is pretty common as an AR barrel I remember.

My hunt for a reloadable, suppressible .22 continues.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Dogan wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Dogan wrote:Anyone know if I would have stabilization issues running subsonic .22 Hornet in a 1/14 twist barrel?
Run it through a stability calculator:
http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/
If I got a 1/7 barrel it looks like it would be stable. Jesus that's a handy little gadget Doc, thanks, saved it to my favorites. Hmmm. 1/7 is pretty common as an AR barrel I remember.

My hunt for a reloadable, suppressible .22 continues.
I love that thing.

You can suppress just about anything, it's a matter of how quiet it gets. When you're moving to that small a projectile, going subsonic relegates you to pellet-gun status for the most part.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4935
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Dogan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:09 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Dogan wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Dogan wrote:Anyone know if I would have stabilization issues running subsonic .22 Hornet in a 1/14 twist barrel?
Run it through a stability calculator:
http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/
If I got a 1/7 barrel it looks like it would be stable. Jesus that's a handy little gadget Doc, thanks, saved it to my favorites. Hmmm. 1/7 is pretty common as an AR barrel I remember.

My hunt for a reloadable, suppressible .22 continues.
I love that thing.

You can suppress just about anything, it's a matter of how quiet it gets. When you're moving to that small a projectile, going subsonic relegates you to pellet-gun status for the most part.
But it gives me a more rapid fire pellet gun without reliance on Co2 cans, with a round that can use a regular .22 can and... wait. A Benjamin NP XL 1100 in .22 can give me everything I'm looking for at about $280. What the fuck am I doing.

Didn't this happen last time I started poking around for quiet non-rimfire .22?
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:14 pm

You could just as easily stock up on rimfire, and accept that you're not going to pay the same price as people did five years ago.

http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/prod ... dcase.html
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1191
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:54 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Akin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:28 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:You could just as easily stock up on rimfire, and accept that you're not going to pay the same price as people did five years ago.

http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/prod ... dcase.html
It'd be easier to accept if walmart didn't still sell a brick for twenty bucks, when it's in stock. I scored three bricks a couple of weeks ago... the occasional jackpot like that makes it hard to accept paying fifty bucks for a brick at other stores...

Plus it's so hard to know what brands are worth a damn. That stuff is Soith African? Is it any good?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4935
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Dogan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:13 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:You could just as easily stock up on rimfire, and accept that you're not going to pay the same price as people did five years ago.

http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/prod ... dcase.html
NO. :evil: NEVER. I WILL NEVER FORGET THE DEATH OF MY BELOVED .03c/rd AE22. NEVER!

But on a more realistic note this has been also a bit of a thought exercise on looking beyond a big, non-replenishable stock of .22 and indeed perhaps even beyond .22 LR for almost all applications. Do I go centerfire and reloadable? Air gun and just melt the pellets over and over?

It also doesn't help that I just heard about a box of 22 WCF extra long being found, which lead me to the 22 Hornet, which lead me to the above post.

But you've reminded me of the awesome .22 airguns out there. With a little research I've found swages, molds, etc with which to make my own (or remake from used pellets captured in traps), and I'm seriously thinking my next big firearms related purchase might be that Benjamin I mentioned above.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

User avatar
TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3210
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: CO

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:11 am

zobmiedown wrote:So my buddy showed up with all the parts minus hand guards to build his first AR and a 30 pack of beer. We assembled the AR and disassembled the 30 pack. I guess I really am a cheep date.

Now for a question for all the 300 Black Out shooters.

Bad stuff happened

UMC ammo has, in my experience, been really bad. I shoot wolf 98% of the time with very few performance issues (like 5 primers not igniting in thousands). I used to buy the UMC for the times I'd go shoot indoors, but would get a lot of failure to feeds. I started looking at the failing rounds, and began to notice huge differences in how far the bullet was seated into the case. I haven't tried reloading any of them, so I can't speak directly to the issue you brought up, but my experience over maybe 500 rds of the stuff was negative on the qc side.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013
Image

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:16 am

I'd go with a PCP, but probably a .25 caliber. More range. Still, if the entire grid went down now, I think you'd need to replace the bladder before you'd burn through a case of rimfire. YMMV, I think PCPs are cool and I'm watching some of the bigger-bore airguns with interest.

There are rimfire reloading kits, but I know nothing about their efficacy or ease of use.

Slings, arrows, and traps would be my go-to for grid-down shit once bullets run out. I got pretty good with a wrist rocket back in the day, okay with a thong sling.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2645
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 am
Location: Huntington, West Virginia

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Rev » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:54 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Slings, arrows, and traps would be my go-to for grid-down shit once bullets run out. I got pretty good with a wrist rocket back in the day, okay with a thong sling.
I've been looking into crossbow designs, but really if you can find the materials and have even a small community black powder should be completely doable.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:57 am

I was assuming maximum quietude. Although modern designs are less so, a simple sling and/or bow tends to be quieter than a smokerod.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

zobmiedown
* * *
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: sierra vista az

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by zobmiedown » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:14 am

TheLastOne wrote:
zobmiedown wrote:So my buddy showed up with all the parts minus hand guards to build his first AR and a 30 pack of beer. We assembled the AR and disassembled the 30 pack. I guess I really am a cheep date.

Now for a question for all the 300 Black Out shooters.

Bad stuff happened

UMC ammo has, in my experience, been really bad. I shoot wolf 98% of the time with very few performance issues (like 5 primers not igniting in thousands). I used to buy the UMC for the times I'd go shoot indoors, but would get a lot of failure to feeds. I started looking at the failing rounds, and began to notice huge differences in how far the bullet was seated into the case. I haven't tried reloading any of them, so I can't speak directly to the issue you brought up, but my experience over maybe 500 rds of the stuff was negative on the qc side.
Ok that's new info. I know its not the best ammo but I have never had issues with UMC before. I hardly ever shoot factory ammo these days but since I only have a limited supply of 300 BO casings to reload I figured I would shoot some of the UMC as it is what is available in my area and is fairly inexpensive. There is literally UMC 300 BO or noting in my AO at the moment. I personally don't shot wolf or any steel cased ammo ever. Honestly its because I do reload so If I am going to shoot factory I shoot reloadable. I even have all my friends and family doing the same so that we have the casings to reload.
Regulators mount up.

User avatar
chills1994
* * * * *
Posts: 1659
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:25 am
Location: metro east of St. Louis

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by chills1994 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:34 pm

A dude I know, local to me, converts military surplused once fired brass into .300 Blackout brass. I think it is like his full time job.

I was over at Cabelas today and noticed they did have .300 Blackout, mainly the 123ish grain or 150ish grain bullets. But they did have some 220ish grain subsonics.

Since everybody seems to be focused on the brass being bad, I'll throw this out there and say the primers were undersized.

There have been a few people who have gotten .223 die plates when they bought their Case Pro. The roll sizing the brass between the plates also squishes down the headstamp area.

I could swear I have seen people who reload steel cased 7.62X39 use a drop of super glue to hold the primers in.

I think the steel cases are Berdan primed, but they were putting regular boxer primers in instead.
_______________________________________

Guns are icky!

User avatar
91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!
Location: Hill Country, Texas

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:40 pm

zobmiedown wrote:...

Image

<bad primers and/or primer pocket dialogue>

...
Hmmm... I never had any issues with the older 125gr UMC ammo, and think I've shot a couple boxes of the 120gr stuff too. I do still have a couple boxes of the 120gr like this out in the garage safe. Guess I need to shoot it up for QC purpose!

Will report if I have any issues.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Locked

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”