S&W M&P 15 Sport

Forum dedicated for rifles and shotguns from basic to tactical.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

OTTB

S&W M&P 15 Sport

Post by OTTB » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:28 pm

I searched for a topic already touching on this so I apologize in advance if this is a dupe. That being said I'm thinking of getting on of these. It's primary purpose would be mostly range time, limited competition shooting, and of course zombies. So if anyone has any gripes, complaints, raves or what have you I would love to hear about them.
If you cant run, you walk, if you cant walk you crawl, if you cant crawl pray the zombies dont find you.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: S&W M&P 15 Sport

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:45 pm

Lightweight barrel, unlined. High round count range trips will see your accuracy go wonky, and you'll see shorter barrel life. The lower, IIRC, uses a commercial buffer tube, and the trigger guard is part of the lower, which can limit grip options. Still, the one I had for a time was accurate enough. Stick to 69gr or below for best results and avoid prolonged rapid fire.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:32 pm

OTTB wrote:I searched for a topic already touching on this so I apologize in advance if this is a dupe. That being said I'm thinking of getting on of these. It's primary purpose would be mostly range time, limited competition shooting, and of course zombies. So if anyone has any gripes, complaints, raves or what have you I would love to hear about them.

It isn't bad for what it is. It lacks a dust cover, which may be a hindrance anywhere but a range, but the Gunny in my office got hsi teenage son one and he patrols their property with it and no problems so take what you will.

It isn't a bad choice, but if I were in your situation I would save a little extra and get the new Ruger DI AR-15.

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:12 am

We've sold a couple hundred Sports since introduced . They work great . Our customers are experiencing no issues .
Also a limited time bonus .
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 7992_image
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:27 pm

Think of it as a Honda Civic of AR rifles. Relatively low cost. Not meant for racing or any other specialty tasks. But it is good, solid, reliable transportation. The S&W Sport rifles are a basic, entry-level rifles that will give you years of service if you don't abuse them. And they come with a lifetime warranty from S&W. They will also let you learn what you do or do not like in ARs, and serve as a good test platform for you to monkey around with. I don't know if I would pick one if I were going to go play in a sandbox and my life depended on it for months at a time. But I am not planning on going to play in a sandbox anywhere, ever. So the lack of a dust cover and forward assist don't bother me much. I have used similar uppers on hunting guns for years, and never needed wither feature. If all you plan on doing with it is shooting targets, hunting, home defense, and any of the other myriad of tasks you would do with a regular rifle, it will be just fine. If you are planning on using it as a finely-tuned race gun, or precision long range target gun, you will be a bit disappointed. There are a lot of people that have them, and are very happy with them. And you don't hear many complaints online about them. If I were going to buy another AR, I would consider getting one.

-Mb

sventhewarrior
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything by George Romero

Post by sventhewarrior » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:24 am

They aren't bad. Cheap, entry level range guns.

That said, for the same price you can build something better, and learn a lot in the process. It's not hard and the Internet is full of info on how to do it and what to shop for. Palmetto state armory is well known for good quality parts at really good prices, so that's a good place to start.

A buddy of mine just built himself a combat ready rifle for about $500. It's not fancy, but all the parts are mil-spec or better.

If you buy the M&P you won't regret it, but you probably will outgrow it.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:04 pm

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/644662 ... Main_Image

Just came to my inbox. Bring your own lower, and you have a full rifle that is at least as good as the Smitty. IMO the Sport is a direct competitor to the Mini series of rifles in terms of function, not quite on par with a "combat" ready rifle, but a good middle ground in terms of rifles between a Savage Axis and real mid-grade AR. If you can piece one together you'll get more bang for your buck, but you won't get a factory warranty or name and will have a harder time reselling if that's your goal.

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:11 pm

Doc I am about as gun illiterate as possible, I'd be afraid to try and assemble my whole kit. BCG's sure, but not a whole rifle.
If you cant run, you walk, if you cant walk you crawl, if you cant crawl pray the zombies dont find you.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:21 pm

Hey, fair enough. I think the Sport is good enough to start. Rapid fire will see accuracy degrade more quickly, and it'll get eaten up by Tula/Wolf steel-cased ammo faster, but if you think of it more like a Mini/unconverted Saiga/SU16 than an AR, it's a pretty solid platform. It's still an AR, so if you get down the road and decide you want a different upper, trigger, or stock that's doable and we've got enough youtube experts and amateur gunsmiths on the board to make sure you only lose three springs when replacing parts. It's not terribly hard.

I will say they're pretty light and handy, and mine was accurate enough for what it was.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:35 pm

OTTB wrote:Doc I am about as gun illiterate as possible, I'd be afraid to try and assemble my whole kit. BCG's sure, but not a whole rifle.

It is absurdly easy to assemble an AR-15 lower. I was a little intimidated too. Did my first a couple months ago, and my second a few weeks ago. Seriously easy.

I haven't messed with uppers yet. At some point I want to do one, but for a beginner I would suggest building the lower and buying the upper.

You save money, get exactly the features you want, and learn a lot in the process.

If cost is a major factory, and you aren't too hung up on having an adjustable stock, the GWACS Cav-15 lower is phenomenal. It's ideal for a low cost build, for a lightweight build, and just for a build in general, as long as you're not super fussy about stock, grip, and trigger guard options. http://www.gwacsarmory.com/lower-receivers-ar-15/

You can buy it populated, which spares you the effort of assembling the bits, but I recommend stripped. Then you buy a CMMG Gunsmith's lower parts kit, which doesn't include a pistol grip or trigger. This saves you money on the parts you don't need, and you buy the trigger you want. (And a pistol grip, if you're not using the CAV-15 kit.)

This trigger is quite a major improvement over a standard trigger, for not much more money: http://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

A good trigger is the best bang for your buck in terms of improving your accuracy with an AR, and this one is not much more buck. I love it.

Then get the upper you want, I'd go to BCM but of course there's other options.

Cost:

GWACS lower, $129
CMMG Gunsmith's LPK, $45.49 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/295445 ... -parts-kit)
ALG ACT, $66

$240.49 total, or just buy a populated GWACS but for $220 but the trigger won't be as nice.

Add a BCM upper for $439, plus $69.99 for a BCG: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-M ... mid-16.htm

(Or heavier barrel profile, same price I think, if you don't like the pencil. I like mine.)

Handguard, $34.95 https://www.magpul.com/products/moe%C2% ... 93-ar15-m4

So top half, 443.94. Total, $684.43. Compared to $739 for the M&P Sport.

In my opinion, don't be afraid to build your lower. Save $50, get a better gun for your trouble, and learn a lot in the process.

Nothing against the Smith; that has been covered by others. I just think that there's no reason to be afraid to build a lower.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:13 pm

Jeriah wrote:A good trigger is the best bang for your buck in terms of improving your accuracy with an AR, and this one is not much more buck. I love it.
A rear sight of some sort can also aid in an AR's accuracy. Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:50 pm

I know that jumble of parts looks intimidating. I bought my first 3 lowers, and waited nearly a year before I built up the courage to put it together. The first one took me about 4 hours over 2 days. Most of that was because I didn't realize that the disconnecter spring has a larger end that fits in the hole on the the trigger. And that it is nearly impossible to assemble if, say, the wide end of the spring is sticking up out of the hole instead of the narrow end. Now I can usually slap a lower together in about 15 minutes. I have even done one with nothing more than a fist-sized rock and a plastic chop stick. Mostly to see if I could. Go hit youtube. There are several very good videos on there that can walk you through it step by step. If I can do it, a demented preschooler could probably do it. And building your own lets you get the parts you want on it, and can be cheaper than actually buying one. I built one for just over $300 last month. I used a $207 complete upper I picked up on Black Friday, and put it together with a $60 lower, a $26 lower parts kit, and a $40 buffer tube kit. I ended up with a very nice .300 Blk gun for about half the out-the-door price of a S&W. Would I use it for a combat rifle? No. Though all of the parts are good quality. But for something to play around with? Oh, yes.

-Mb

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:42 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Lightweight barrel, unlined. High round count range trips will see your accuracy go wonky, and you'll see shorter barrel life. The lower, IIRC, uses a commercial buffer tube, and the trigger guard is part of the lower, which can limit grip options. Still, the one I had for a time was accurate enough. Stick to 69gr or below for best results and avoid prolonged rapid fire.
Lightweight barrel? False. Its a standard/medium contour without an m4 cut, which is a superior profile to one with an m4 cut.

Its not chrome lined, but it is melonite treated which stacks up really well to chrome lining while offering the accuracy potential of an unlined barrel.

I can't think of a single reputable stock manufacturer that doesn't offer milspec and commercial stocks.

What grips require a hinged trigger guard?

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:44 am

RickOShea wrote:
Jeriah wrote:A good trigger is the best bang for your buck in terms of improving your accuracy with an AR, and this one is not much more buck. I love it.
Ah. Yes. Fair point.

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:57 am

OTTB wrote:I searched for a topic already touching on this so I apologize in advance if this is a dupe. That being said I'm thinking of getting on of these. It's primary purpose would be mostly range time, limited competition shooting, and of course zombies. So if anyone has any gripes, complaints, raves or what have you I would love to hear about them.
I recently purchased a S&W M&P 10. I'm a left eye dominant, right handed shooter, so I like that it has ambidextrous controls (safety, slide release, magazine release).

I should be getting it to the range in the next couple of weeks, will let you know how it goes.
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:46 pm

Jeriah wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
Ah. Yes. Fair point.
You gonna go back and add a rear sight to your little parts list? Also, $439 + $69.99 + 34.95 = $543.94 (not $443.95).

That M&P Sport may not be top-'o-the-line, but for $627.27 it at least comes with an MBUS rear sight (and a Pmag):

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... NATO+16%22
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:06 pm

Plus you can just add a better whole upper somewhere down the line. :words:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:09 pm

ultra magnus wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Lightweight barrel, unlined. High round count range trips will see your accuracy go wonky, and you'll see shorter barrel life. The lower, IIRC, uses a commercial buffer tube, and the trigger guard is part of the lower, which can limit grip options. Still, the one I had for a time was accurate enough. Stick to 69gr or below for best results and avoid prolonged rapid fire.
Lightweight barrel? False. Its a standard/medium contour without an m4 cut, which is a superior profile to one with an m4 cut.

Its not chrome lined, but it is melonite treated which stacks up really well to chrome lining while offering the accuracy potential of an unlined barrel.

I can't think of a single reputable stock manufacturer that doesn't offer milspec and commercial stocks.

What grips require a hinged trigger guard?
Has the barrel changed since THE first gen then? It didn't used to be that heavy a profile, I remember because I couldn't swap to the low-profile gas block I wanted to use. I'm not seeing anything about a melonite coating either, and my user manual didn't list it with the one I bought. I see a couple reviews mentioned it, but they also claim a 1:8 gain twist, whereas Smith's page says it's a 1:9 twist. Error, or a change in models?

Commercial stock tube was noted for FYI. Not all options are offered in both diameters.

The Sport trigger guard is a 'winter' profile and doesn't clear pistol grips that were designed for a straight guard.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:37 pm

Was on the fence between a $1k Stag Arms 3 and the Sport.

This morning I made decision and picked up an M & P 15 Sport (NJ Ban compliant) at a local jersey city gun shop for under $700. The $ difference Ill put into some accessories and a decent red dot sight.

Solid, well built rifle and definitely a heavy profile barrel...and has gotten outstanding reviews from a variety of sources. NutNfancy did a pretty solid analysis on their YouTube channel.
Just FYI since 2012 the product specs have slightly changed. twist ratio has increased. And according to my research and they no longer market the barrel treatment as melonite but apparently it's the same treatment.

Planning to shoot in next several weeks and will post my findings.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:47 pm

Yes, they have been using the melonite coating on the barrels for quite some time. It holds up well, is much cheaper than chrome, and, as somebody else noted, give you better accuracy than chrome in most cases.

-Mb

wester

Post by wester » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:48 pm

A buddy of mine was looking to get his first AR, I was edging him towards the S&W. He ended up getting the newly released Ruger AR556 that he just happened to come across at a LGS. The S&W seems like a very good cheap rifle, but you get more features on the Ruger and it seems to be very well built for just a bit more $. Just something else to look at if nothing else.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:00 pm

JackBauer wrote:Was on the fence between a $1k Stag Arms 3 and the Sport.

This morning I made decision and picked up an M & P 15 Sport (NJ Ban compliant) at a local jersey city gun shop for under $700. The $ difference Ill put into some accessories and a decent red dot sight.

Solid, well built rifle and definitely a heavy profile barrel...and has gotten outstanding reviews from a variety of sources. NutNfancy did a pretty solid analysis on their YouTube channel.
Just FYI since 2012 the product specs have slightly changed. twist ratio has increased. And according to my research and they no longer market the barrel treatment as melonite but apparently it's the same treatment.

Planning to shoot in next several weeks and will post my findings.
Well finally got to a pistol range while on vacation in south jersey and ran 50 rounds through my M & P 15 Sport.

Very pleased with my purchase. Rifle shot well and it's now zeroed for 25 yards, Ill get to a rifle range in the next few weeks and update.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

hotlead

Post by hotlead » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:13 pm

I have a three year old M&P15 Sport, and it has been a great rifle.

This thing was intended as a solid competition rifle for gun games, it's in it's name, and at an entry-level price.....not a cheap rifle, an inexpensive rifle. My rifle has a medium profile 1:8 5R melonite coated barrel and a milspec tube, the low profile hand guard gives better control for me over the football-sized M-4 hand guards.

I've put close to 4K rounds through it, mostly green lacquered Tula, I cleaned/lubed it the day I got it home and roughly every 1,000rds since, nary a stoppage. I've only ever used Pmags, Colt, NHMTG, or OKay mags, so that probably aids reliability. The dust cover and "hit me, I don't work" button haven't been missed at all, and of the two, I think the dust cover is the only one that I might benefit from in certain situations. I personally think the forward assist usually just turns a simple stoppage into a major problem, if the round doesn't want to chamber, there's a reason for it, set it free and let the next one try.

Mine,

"your 9mm might expand when it hits the target, but my .45 sure as hell won't shrink"- Arguing with my Brother about pistol calibers.

"You can never have too many guns, yo-yos, or crayons"- Mrs. Hotlead speaking to my Nephew.

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath"- Talking to my Neice at a campfire

Bobby Sue

Post by Bobby Sue » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:14 pm

Mine was a short stroking machine, and I wouldn't recommend it. I ended up replacing the upper assembly with something from Palmetto State Armory, and am much happier.

Return to “Longarms - Shotguns and Rifles”