It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dying Light
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:31 pm 

Anyone else get this?

I played Dead Island and thought that it was decent, I liked it in spite of a lot of hate.

I waited until today, to give the reviewers some time to pick this apart, then I grabbed it after the general consensus is that it is a really polished version of DI with lots of jumping.

I am a couple of hours in, and graphically, it is stunning. The draw distance goes for miles. It is really nice to finally have a game that was made for current gen only, and not dumbed down for last gen as well.

The jumping/parkour aspect takes a little getting used to. It isn't bad though, the gig is speed, and lots of it to get distance. Staying on the ground is suicide.

The 'eaters' as they call them are slow moving, but they take several hits to kill. To the point of if you don't get headshots, you can and will lose a weapon without taking down more than two. Kicking them to the ground and then braining them is a preferred method I have found.

I will be honest, I haven't tried staying out at night yet, which is when it gets dangerous, I am spending my time right now acclimating myself to the city and mastering the controls before I try something really challenging. I have heard night is a lot of fun.

So far I like it, we will see how it goes the deeper I get in.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Dying Light
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:56 pm 

I thought of about it but, the parkor aspect of it kinda turns me off, especially with parkor zombies.... Keep us posted, when I build myself a new computer I might just get it.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:46 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Murgatroy wrote:
I will be honest, I haven't tried staying out at night yet, which is when it gets dangerous, I am spending my time right now acclimating myself to the city and mastering the controls before I try something really challenging.

Sound advice for both the real and the virtual world.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:19 am 

Halfapint wrote:
I thought of about it but, the parkor aspect of it kinda turns me off, especially with parkor zombies.... Keep us posted, when I build myself a new computer I might just get it.

The zeds are your usual Romero breed. The shuffle around and attack you in numbers. During the day there are no parkour zombies.

At night, that is when the 'volatiles' come out. They can run and jump. You also do twice as much damage and earn twice as much XP at night.

The idea is to give two different game styles. It is unique, but works within the context.

I have several hours in now, many of them with a friend. Again, as long as you just keep running, you can jump over, slide under most obstacles. Which is good, since killing them takes some time, and the numbers will overwhelm you.

I have gone out at night once or twice, and it is not fun, and until I am much higher in levels, I don't see it being something I will do often.

The leveling system is branched, you have three different XP feeds, one for you main Survival, that would be your character. Then you have Power and Agility. You get XP for Power and Agility based on how much stuff you bash and jump over respectively. You get Survival XP from quests.

Of course all the weapons are able to be customized in fantastic fashions. But they are still painfully slow. I don't have a gun, and the game takes great pains to ensure that if you have one, you won't use it. Even crashing down from a jump will cause enough noise to bring shuffling zeds to investigate.

The story is standard so far, nothing awe inspiring, but again, I am only a dozen or so quests in. I spent a lot of time exploring.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:35 am 

So you can play online with friends? Is there PVP? Are the quests linear or sandbox?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:08 am 

It is online, you can play with a friend or drop in/out of any 'open' game. Or you can set it to private and do it all alone.

The game is a sandbox, with lots of sidequests.

There is supposedly a PvP aspect, where you can choose to play as a 'zombie king' and create a horde of followers, you can drop in and out of other players games and go after them. I am not exactly sure how that aspect works, I haven't tried it, and if I am correct in my limited assumption, you can turn the option off, so that a player can't join your world and create their army. It is an interesting twist on the game, and after I have beaten the storyline with my friend, I think we will try it out.

The game matches you on the story. So if you are five quests ahead and a friend joins you, he will be even with you and working on the same quests. Likewise, if you are those same five quests ahead and you join your friend, who is hosting, you will now be working on his progress. It is based on the host. If you complete quests that are in your progression they count for you, however if you are going out of progression, like your friend who is five quests behind, he will not receive credit for the main story. HOWEVER, if you are completing side quests and you both take and complete the quest together, then you are good to go and will both receive credit.

In my earlier statement about there not being fast daytime zombies, I was slightly mistaken. If in the event you create a loud ruckus in the daytime, blowing something up, using a gun, jumping into a dumpster from a height, you will attract the attention of some fast moving 'rage' style zeds, but they go down as easily as the 'romero' zeds. The nighttime is still when the mean running, jumping, climbing trees kind of trans, er, zombies come out to play. I have yet to kill one of those.

So far there are a plethora of different zeds. There might be more, as I am only midlevel. In order of rarity they go...

Slow movers (Romero)
Heavy Hitters (Romero Boss)
Hazmat (they go boom when you hit their oxygen tanks)
Viral (Rage)
Bombers (yeah, they go boom with acid)
Spitters (yeah, they spit acid)
Volatile (night killers)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:06 pm 

My brother and I play this at night. Its really fun playing with someone else. Really puts teamwork in its place. Such as when you go to unlock a hard lock, Ill unlock it while hes watching my back for any zombies. Plus, once I got a rifle, he would be up front meleeing zombies while id be up on a car taking out zombies that were farther back.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:37 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Any tips on fighting humans in the game? I just got this game Monday and I'm still in the early stages. I'm still on one of the earlier missions, and a trio of guys from a rival gang is in my safe area stealing an airdrop.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:53 am 

Looks like a good game I'll have to check it out.

I kinda liked Dead Island, it was by no means perfect and really could have improved with some work but it was a cool concept and could have been a promising franchise.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:58 am 

DFWMTX wrote:
Any tips on fighting humans in the game? I just got this game Monday and I'm still in the early stages. I'm still on one of the earlier missions, and a trio of guys from a rival gang is in my safe area stealing an airdrop.

Molotov cocktails. That has been my winning combination, and it works as long as I have been using it. One will take out all three with no damage to you.