Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Worst SHTF Handgun

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:32 am

My buddy and I had a discussion: What is the worst "mainstream" handgun for someone to buy with SHTF purposes in mind. I'm talking generally here, no specific event, so a good well rounded gun. And I mean mainstream: as not in a cap n ball revolver or a caracal or a venezuelan saturday night special.

My buddy said a revolver. Low capacity, slower to shoot for non professionals, slower to load without speedloaders, etc.

I say a 1911. Low mag capacity, mine was super picky with ammo (as well as a few buddy's), not very concealable for a low capacity gun, not easy to field strip, parts need fitting sometimes if replacements ever happen. Good for range or collecting, bad for using.

For me, I'd rather have a six shot (def 8 shot) 357 over a GI 1911 any day. My HiPoint 45 has a better track record than most 1911s I've shot.

But that's just me, what about you??
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

procyon

Re: Worst SHTF Handgun

Post by procyon » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:45 am

You mean, other than the Judge...

:crazy:
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:47 am

procyon wrote:You mean, other than the Judge...

I figured that would be first hahahaha I kinda like the Smith Guv'nuh though. 45 ACP in moon clips can't be too bad
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:31 am

/Thread

I know you said no Carcal but that is the answer....
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:21 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
procyon wrote:You mean, other than the Judge...

I figured that would be first hahahaha I kinda like the Smith Guv'nuh though. 45 ACP in moon clips can't be too bad
Funny that you mention that, I was thinking along those lines but something even worse than a Judge.

But, but, but you can swap out barrels and you can get a .22lr barrel, a 9mm barrel, .45acp barrel and a you can use .410 shotshell AND .45LC in the same barrel. Some people think this is the ultimate SHTF gun, however once the SHTF and they are defending their lives and hunting small animals for food with a 2 shot derringer they will quickly realize how wrong they were.

arentol

Post by arentol » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:07 am

Actually many people consider double-action revolvers to be one of the absolute best SHTF firearms.

The reasons they are a good choice is:

Mechanically they are much simpler than a semi-auto, therefore lasting longer, requiring less maintenance, and just generally being less likely to break or malfunction when desperately needed most.
If you have a bad round in the chamber you just keep pulling the trigger and the next one will fire, this makes them a great choice for a .22lr handgun.
They can be fired accurately just as fast as a semi-auto.

Low capacity and slower loading could be an issue I suppose, but this should be a backup firearm to a carbine/rifle, so that really shouldn't be a major factor. Also if you have moon clips and you know what you are doing it is not all that much slower.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:16 am

Too vague a question. "SHTF" may need a few parameters. Different weapons for different situations/environments.

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:36 pm

The worse is the one left behind or not close to me.

I am with Boondock on his response.
Zombies don't ski.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:16 pm

arentol wrote:Actually many people consider double-action revolvers to be one of the absolute best SHTF firearms.

The reasons they are a good choice is:

Mechanically they are much simpler than a semi-auto, therefore lasting longer, requiring less maintenance, and just generally being less likely to break or malfunction when desperately needed most.
If you have a bad round in the chamber you just keep pulling the trigger and the next one will fire, this makes them a great choice for a .22lr handgun.
They can be fired accurately just as fast as a semi-auto.

Low capacity and slower loading could be an issue I suppose, but this should be a backup firearm to a carbine/rifle, so that really shouldn't be a major factor. Also if you have moon clips and you know what you are doing it is not all that much slower.
I love my revolver, and use it pretty regularly for CC and HD despite having high cap semi autos, an AR and a 12ga pump. I think a good quality revolver is an excellent handgun for self defense. Combat? No, but personal defense yes. That said, this idea they're simple and have less parts to break is a fallacy. I can easily keep my Glock running with some spare parts and a single tool, if your revolver goes down good luck fixing it.

Here's my S&W M64. Not quite so simple..

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:49 pm

Boondock wrote:Too vague a question. "SHTF" may need a few parameters. Different weapons for different situations/environments.
Very true, but how many people only have one handgun or only think they need one gun for emergencies??? I'm talking about "average Joe" who watches the news and thinks, "woe, this world is crazy, I better go get something just in case". Of course people on here will have tons of options, but some people don't.

Besides, no one knows what kind of Shit will Hit The Fan until it does. Maybe a crystal ball is the best shtf tool.

"no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!! "

B9ev
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by B9ev » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:06 pm

Kind of funny I feel exactly the opposite about hipoint and 1911s.
JeeperCreeper wrote:My buddy and I had a discussion: What is the worst "mainstream" handgun for someone to buy with SHTF purposes in mind. I'm talking generally here, no specific event, so a good well rounded gun. And I mean mainstream: as not in a cap n ball revolver or a caracal or a venezuelan saturday night special.

My buddy said a revolver. Low capacity, slower to shoot for non professionals, slower to load without speedloaders, etc.

I say a 1911. Low mag capacity, mine was super picky with ammo (as well as a few buddy's), not very concealable for a low capacity gun, not easy to field strip, parts need fitting sometimes if replacements ever happen. Good for range or collecting, bad for using.

For me, I'd rather have a six shot (def 8 shot) 357 over a GI 1911 any day. My HiPoint 45 has a better track record than most 1911s I've shot.

But that's just me, what about you??

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:18 pm

arentol wrote:...Mechanically they are much simpler than a semi-auto, therefore lasting longer, requiring less maintenance, and just generally being less likely to break or malfunction when desperately needed most.
This isn't true. A double action revolver is not simpler than a semi-auto, the action is reliant on small moving parts and springs, and is pretty intricate. And they can definitely break and malfunction. Revolvers aren't particularly forgiving to foreign debris being introduced to the cylinder well. Additionally, dropping it with an open cylinder onto a hard surface, or spinning and whipping the cylinder shut, can break the gun.

And that's ignoring the comparatively slow reload, and heavier than preferred trigger pull. (BTW, a fighting revolver is meant to be run in DA, not cocking the hammer before each shot.)

That said, I think a short barrel DAO .22LR revolver might be the worst general purpose SHTF handgun. Think Ruger LCR-22. Ugh, horrible. Cruddy for hunting, cruddy for self-defense, cruddy for recreational shooting (unless you like reloading .22 revolvers).... but great for assassinations?
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

LastBoyScout
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: South Sacramento at night when view from a patrol car.

Post by LastBoyScout » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:31 pm

Davis Derringer in .25 ACP.

Two shots of low power expensive and not common ammo. Yes .25 auto can be found in any shop but who has a case of it sitting around like many other calibers.

Saying 1911's are no good is like saying cars that take gas are no good. Some good and some bad.

I Carry a glock for a living but a 1911 would not be my LAST choice.
LastBoyscout

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

Helen Keller

An unloaded gun is a pourly balanced club.

Lynn C. Thompson to me over dinner.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:15 pm

I think this would be based on the ammo the gun uses. I think any gun using an uncommon round would be pretty high on my personal list of worst choices for SHTF.

The FN guns come to mind, I'm just not sure if these meet your definition of mainstream.

Maybe a glock 29? The 10mm round is great, but this would leave you with a gun that isn't as accurate at distance, and a gun that is difficult to attain ammo for.

A Desert Eagle in .50 seems like a pretty terrible choice. I hear about a lot of these going back (substantial percentage of new units sold) after 1-5 rounds have been fired. The ammo is difficult to find and a lot of people can't handle it.

From what I can tell most of the guns that are mainstream are all reasonably reliable and accurate. Everyone's got a story where X gun was unreliable or defectively inaccurate from the factory. But, for everyone with a story where X is garbage there's a story where X is great.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:47 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Besides, no one knows what kind of Shit will Hit The Fan until it does. Maybe a crystal ball is the best shtf tool.
I agree. I guess what I'm saying is that it's important to conduct an individual risk assessment and base self defense options off the most likely and most dangerous scenarios.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:02 pm

Boondock wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:Besides, no one knows what kind of Shit will Hit The Fan until it does. Maybe a crystal ball is the best shtf tool.
I agree. I guess what I'm saying is that it's important to conduct an individual risk assessment and base self defense options off the most likely and most dangerous scenarios.
That's true. If your SHTF scenario involves a bad guy getting your gun and using it on you than the Carcal is actually the best one to have, improves your odds to 50/50. :rofl:
You go over and under
I go through

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:54 pm

Touché! :lol:

charlie505
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Resident evil, Shawn of the Dead

Post by charlie505 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Does Hi-Point make a revolver??

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:07 pm

charlie505 wrote:Does Hi-Point make a revolver??
Isn't it one of these?

You go over and under
I go through

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:58 am

Hey, you guys are talkin about all these fancy guns.... I'd say a Jennings or whatever they go by now, is the worst. Though I have one (hey why not it was $50) and that thing can take a beating, though its pretty inaccurate (It's very accurate however if you hold it sideways with a bandana covering your face).

I will say it's not picky on ammo, and if you drop a mag and warp the lip, beating it against a rock to straighten it out is totally acceptable and legit fix.

So maybe a Jennings ISN'T the worst SHTF gun. :lol:
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:59 am

The worst SHTF handgun?
Simple. It's the one for which you have no ammo.
Or the one which you left at home because, "you wouldn't need it" that day.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:54 am

RG-14. Those things are overpriced at free.

I think 1911's are fine. I mean, I would not take one over my Glock, and have seen and fired some really bad ones, but my Sig TacOps eats everything I feed it and makes .45 caliber holes all day.

Its also the most accurate pistol I own, in my hands, outside of my single action cowboy revolvers. For my friends too, for the most part. That trigger, so dreamy.

Now, not saying I would take it over my Glock 19. I wouldn't. But if I had my Sig and a few magazines I would not feel unarmed.

:awesome:

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:30 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote: how many people only have one handgun or only think they need one gun for emergencies??? I'm talking about "average Joe" who watches the news and thinks, "woe, this world is crazy, I better go get something just in case".
I borrowed this from a different website:
.500 S&W Magnum. Has anyone ever given a good reason for owning one of these? “I use it for hunting.” Hunting what? Something dumb enough to let you get close enough to kill it with a pistol, but big enough to require a big ass round? Are you shooting dairy cows?
Imagine somebody getting one of those for a SHTF handgun... and then never practicing with it. And then the S hitting the F.
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:07 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Return to “Handguns”