Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

eeb

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by eeb » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:54 pm

Dave_M wrote:Topical.

Both!

Because 'Merica, Damn it!

Hmm...page 16 ownage. I suppose "page ownage" is outdated, or just immature. Oh well.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:03 am

Non gen 4 Glocks cut my hand open. I have not shot a Gen 4 with its interchangeable grips/backstraps, so I don't know if a Gen 4 would also slice my hand.

A guy on another forum has an Ed Brown Kobra (a 1911) for sale, asking $1,600. He says he has 12,000 rounds through the gun, but it still looks so freakin' sexy.

Guns are icky!

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:38 pm

chills1994 wrote:Non gen 4 Glocks cut my hand open. I have not shot a Gen 4 with its interchangeable grips/backstraps, so I don't know if a Gen 4 would also slice my hand.

A guy on another forum has an Ed Brown Kobra (a 1911) for sale, asking $1,600. He says he has 12,000 rounds through the gun, but it still looks so freakin' sexy.
Grip Force Adapter might help. I've got them on all my Glocks, love them.

http://www.gripforceproducts.com/

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:04 pm

+1 on the Grip Force.

Here's mine:

Gen 2 G17 with Talon grips and GFA

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:32 pm

The Uzi mags showed up. I'll probably buy an endmill or two tomorrow, so I can do this conversion:

https://youtu.be/zSFPeUouHcg

Basically, I can get 3 uzi mags for the price of one Colt factory mag. :clap:

Guns are icky!

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:26 pm

aimsurplus sent out an email w the glock magpul mags in stock shipped for $15something each (sold out now). I'd spend that on some training mags. Would rather find them for $12 ea at a store though.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:40 pm

Shot a Glock 43 last night. Okay, maybe getting two now instead of one.

Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:02 pm

Only Dave's hands can make a 43 look like a 35.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:26 pm

OK y'all I need help. I've got Dave's article and the one for Recoil by Cowan. But I'm having trouble finding good articles explaining why an AR is more useful then a shotgun or a handgun for home defense. Buddies and I got into debate. They both said a pistol is more compact. A shotgun has spread and high hit probability and an AR will over penetrate. To each their own...but just trying to spread the good word.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:34 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Only Dave's hands can make a 43 look like a 35.
I thought that was a 35 and Dave just has Andre the Giant hands.

:lol:

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:37 pm

0122358 wrote:OK y'all I need help. I've got Dave's article and the one for Recoil by Cowan. But I'm having trouble finding good articles explaining why an AR is more useful then a shotgun or a handgun for home defense. Buddies and I got into debate. They both said a pistol is more compact. A shotgun has spread and high hit probability and an AR will over penetrate. To each their own...but just trying to spread the good word.

I thought the conventional wisdom was that a .223 projectile would be tumbling on exit or shortly thereafter when it encounters drywall, a wood stud, plywood wall sheathing, and then siding. And it would not be traveling effectively after that.

EDIT: I guess in a way it really depends on the situation:

A. Bad guy tries to sneak in like a ninja and you hear some noise downstairs.

Or

B. Bad guy(s) go CRASH! through an exterior door and are trying to bum rush you or your loved ones.

If choice B, I'd grab whatever I could...Barret .50 cal...Beretta Jetfire..Louisville slugger...sling shot...AR...12 gauge...pistol...

Guns are icky!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:54 pm

0122358 wrote:OK y'all I need help. I've got Dave's article and the one for Recoil by Cowan. But I'm having trouble finding good articles explaining why an AR is more useful then a shotgun or a handgun for home defense. Buddies and I got into debate. They both said a pistol is more compact. A shotgun has spread and high hit probability and an AR will over penetrate. To each their own...but just trying to spread the good word.
At close (20ft or less) range, a shotgun doesn't have much edge over anything else in terms of 'hit probability.' There's almost no spread to speak of. Buckshot and slugs will overpenetrate more than fragmenting 5.56, and most handgun rounds aren't friendly though interior walls either. Handguns are less controllable, by nature of their design. ARs recoil less meaning better follow-up shots and less punishing practice. Handguns are more compact, but rifles make a better last-ditch melee weapon.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:11 pm

Shotgun can have around eight rounds of getthefuckoutofmyhouse. My AR has thirty. It's lighter, and because of recoil and cost of ammunition it's easier to use and practice with. I'll take a hit with an AR over a miss with a shotgun. I grew up with shotguns, but moving, shooting, and racking the slide is a lot more unpleasant than moving with my rifle.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:21 pm

I think it depends on a number of factors, maybe even a unknown or two on deciding which is more useful.

What type of HD do you expect, where do you live, what type of building do you live in, do you live with others, etc.

The what do you bring personally to the table, your skill levels, your ability to stay cool in a tense situation, your situational awareness, etc. IMHO, I think the person is the biggest factor in deciding.

I think they all have merits and also the cost factor, what a person has or can afford. That also goes with training.

What I would pick is based on my situation. That would not say someone different choices would be better or worse.
Zombies don't ski.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:19 am

I wonder if there is a 20 something page thread some where regaling the highs and lows of the HD shotgun
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:01 am

Hollis wrote:
I think it depends on a number of factors, maybe even a unknown or two on deciding which is more useful.

What type of HD do you expect, where do you live, what type of building do you live in, do you live with others, etc.

The what do you bring personally to the table, your skill levels, your ability to stay cool in a tense situation, your situational awareness, etc. IMHO, I think the person is the biggest factor in deciding.

I think they all have merits and also the cost factor, what a person has or can afford. That also goes with training.

What I would pick is based on my situation. That would not say someone different choices would be better or worse.
This originally started with my buddy asking me about the Mini-14 for his dad. His dad already has a Ruger SR40 but is moving to a more secluded ranch type area away from the city and would like a rifle. He's always grown up with the traditional stocked long arms.

It developed into first describing in great detail that yes the Mini is a great weapon for what it is...but an AR is much better in terms of cost to feature analysis. For the cost of a Mini you can get a great AR for 1-200 bucks more or for his needs the new AR556 or a windlham or something would work just fine.

Then in turned into me saying that I would do and use my AR for home defense. Then that whole discussion started with an AR being to big for CQB, over penetration etc etc.

Yeah every situation is different and for the average joe forking 50hrs a week a 12 gauge is going to do just fine. I do have mine loaded with OO buck that's in a easy position to grab.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:17 am

0122358 wrote: Then in turned into me saying that I would do and use my AR for home defense. Then that whole discussion started with an AR being to big for CQB, over penetration etc etc.
I dunno, a fully extended pistol is about as long as a shouldered rifle. Not sure what we mean by over penetration. Shot goes right on through walls. People like that though already have their opinion set, and don't really want it to be corrected.

I was a shotgun guy, but I got better.

eeb

Post by eeb » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:16 am

If the conversation started with him asking about a Mini14 for HD, an AR wouldn't be much bigger.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:29 am

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:40 pm

With all this talk of Glocks, I gotta random question. Did they improve the triggers along with the ergos of the Gen 4. Because I hate Blocks. HATE them!!! But I only shot gen 2 and 3. Playing with a demo at my LGS, which is a gen 4, the trigger felt great and it actually fit my hand.

Will a Gen 4 make me swing both ways, or was I holding a custom job??? P.S. it was cerakoted so it might have had some "mods", I dunno
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:56 pm

Rev wrote:
0122358 wrote: Then in turned into me saying that I would do and use my AR for home defense. Then that whole discussion started with an AR being to big for CQB, over penetration etc etc.
I dunno, a fully extended pistol is about as long as a shouldered rifle. Not sure what we mean by over penetration. Shot goes right on through walls. People like that though already have their opinion set, and don't really want it to be corrected.

I was a shotgun guy, but I got better.

That was one of my points about a fully extended pistol vs an AR. They countered with you can bring a pistol into your chest. Although my one buddy likes the idea of an AR pistol. The other one just wants a travor

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:55 pm

My counter point to that is I can lower my rifle. Marines clear houses with M16's, don't they?

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:00 pm

Rev wrote:My counter point to that is I can lower my rifle. Marines clear houses with M16's, don't they?

CQB is not the same as HD. If it turned out that way, some serious mistakes where made.
Zombies don't ski.

procyon

Post by procyon » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:17 pm

Hollis wrote:CQB is not the same as HD.
I'll bite.
Other than the lack of a team - how is clearing my house (HD) different?
Not being snarky, just curious as to how you see it.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”