Shrimpwd's bags and kits (56k beware!)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

shrimpwd

Re: Shrimpwd's bags and kits (56k beware!)

Post by shrimpwd » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:54 pm

Fall modifications:

Swapped out 3/4 Ridgerest for full-length SOLite Ridgerest.
Added rainpants.
Added packable daypack as food bag. Much better than a plastic shopping bag.
Added polypro thermal top & bottom.
Added Olicamp spacesaver cup.

This should be fine until November, then I'll need to swap over to my larger backpack. (Blackhawk SOF Ruck. 10lbs empty...)

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:42 pm

You need my Gregory Whittney. A car can be packed in that monster. It's only 6 pounds. :mrgreen:
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

shrimpwd

Updated BOB/72hr Hiking Pack 01/25/2015

Post by shrimpwd » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:32 am

About time for an update!

My 72hr BOB is also my hiking pack, with a few additional tools to make an extended wilderness stay less unpleasant.
I believe additional food would provide this kit an extra few days without much difficulty, but it is far from an INCH.

(yeah, I didn't rotate my pictures. :shock: Oh, well...)

I continue to use the Golite Gust, as it has proven itself worthy over the years. It's not tacticool, but it does only weigh 1lb 2oz.
I have one hiking pole, may eventually purchase another.
The two .75L (1.5L total) Gatorade bottles are stored empty, but can be refilled quickly if needed.
Small OR pouch added for camera, snack, browse bag, etc.
Tyvek rain cover with shock cord to keep it in place.

Front of pack shows the Mora Robust with a bit of 550 cord.
Rain jacket, rain pants, and spare convertible pants attached to sides and top for quick retrieval.

Front pocket contains:
Sawyer Squeeze, 3 pouches, a small scoop for easier filling, and the cleaning plunger.
TP, bandana, compass, 2 sections 550 cord.
2 bottles of fuel for alcohol stove (1 partway used, 1 new)
FAK/snivel, multivitamins and extra pain meds. Nothing I don't know how to use. Will add more as knowledge increases.
Firesteel/striker

Inside the pack is my full length Thermarest Solite pad. It IS the frame.
Considering cutting one of my older Ridgerest pads down to a single loop (1/2 size), and adding an inflatable pad. Thoughts?

Contents inside the pack, clockwise from orange bag:
orange bag contains spare socks, gloves, and thermal fleece.
48oz Nalgene with current muesli I'm rotating through for fresh.
32oz Nalgene full of water, nested Olicamp.
Tyvek ground cloth.
Green bag with 8x10 silnylon tarp with rope and stakes.
Grand Trunk double hammock with straps. (I'm a hammock hanger with a backup of ground camping, thus the sleeping pad thoughts)
packable towel, water bag.
Blue bag has polartec thermal top and bottoms, mid-weight.

Rope and stakes. Think I might want more of these aluminum stakes, they're nice.

Food bag with 550 cord to hang in tree.

Inside the food bag: ziploc container of food and current mess kit.

Approx. 5400 calories for a 2-3 day minimal diet. When the muesli is replenished, it should be closer to 7k.
All food is quick(ish) prep.
I NEED TO ADD COFFEE! :gonk:

Mess kit and stove.
Small alcohol stove does fine for boiling the water I need.
Pot/lid combo is nice, but thinking about getting a 2L aluminum bush pot instead. More useful for extended periods and I can put the food inside for added protection.
1 cup scoop for measuring. AND FOR MY COFFEE!

A small fire kit. I should replace with 2 good Bics and my charcloth tin...

My sleeping bag stays puffed in the storage bag on top of the shelf I keep my pack. An added 5 seconds or so in an emergency, but no need to worry about long-term compression. 20 degree down bag, but bought used a decade ago, and wasn't the best quality then. Thinking I want to upgrade to two down quilts.

In addition to whatever I was wearing, I have the polartec thermal top and bottom layer (sleep/extreme cold), fleece thermal, 2 pair wool socks, multi-function head covering, cheap pair of gloves (I was ashamed of them and didn't add them to the pile...)

Karrimor rain jacket with hood, rain pants, and convertible pants.

Total current pack weight with 1L water and current food is right around 25lbs. My current fitness level would allow me a good 10-15 miles per day, depending on terrain. (fitness level is the weak spot, but it's improving)
I find myself wishing there was a second pocket for storing the smaller items. Too many different things stored in the single pocket...

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Last edited by shrimpwd on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:41 am

I like it! I need to get my gear posted soon for some tips. If that is your sleeping mat rolled around the interior of the bag, I like that Idea and I may try to use it myself.

I don't know your bugging out plan, but if it involves any kind of travel I'd pick up a small map and compass.
The future is for those who prepare.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:08 pm

Just an idle observation, you may want to look at the amount of food/water/pots'n'pans and their ratio to one antoher... Fine as is, of course, but you just might want to think about it along the lines below if you haven't already.

Since you haven't packed and larger meal packs (ie. mountain house for 2), you probably won't be needing both halves of the mess kit if you didn't feel like carrying both.

Unsure about the cooking instructions on your dried/water required foods, but I usually carry a bit more water than you have packed. I realize you can purify more, but I tend to carry at least enough water to cook what food I have + a 32 oz Nalgene (and purifying options). It seems you went for lighter weight dry foods, and probably intentionally, but I tend to favor having at least one or two canned "ready to eat, hot or cold" options that don't require heat/water to be eaten somewhat enjoyably.

Weight is no small consideration, but the weight of ramen + water to cook ramen isn't all that different from a can of whatever and even more considering the calories you can get from, say, a can of corned beef hash versus ramen is also a big difference.

In a bug out situation, having to take the time to find and purify water or taking the time to have to cook food might be more of a burden than you anticipate, so having more options that don't require water/cooking might be a big help, even if it is just a meal or two... If you don't like the weight, just eat it first!
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Slugg:
That sleeping pad takes up 900-1000ci of my pack... It's a huge packing issue for me, but it is what it is. The outer roll setup gives me a 'frame' and softens any jarring to the contents. Mitigating some of the negatives, but still a huge bulk. (but lightweight!)
I have a compass in the front pocket, but no maps. I need to find some updated ones and have them laminated. The old ones are a few years old and weren't waterproofed.
00dlez wrote:JUnsure about the cooking instructions on your dried/water required foods, but I usually carry a bit more water than you have packed. ... It seems you went for lighter weight dry foods. ... In a bug out situation, having to take the time to find and purify water or taking the time to have to cook food might be more of a burden than you anticipate
Thanks 00dlez for the feedback. A few points based on what you said:
I kept the pan as it acts as a lid for the pot, helping to speed the water to boil. I'd like to find a better pot with lid, but this works for now.
I figure I'll need a minimum of 8-12 cups of water to cook everything in the food pack (soups are made with 1/2 water) and more than half of the food does not even require water or heat. 4 items are soups that I can bring water & contents to a boil and let sit, The muesli doesn't even need water, but I prefer it to be warm (not boiling), and the only longer cooking time is the rice & beans.
I keep the 32oz nalgene filled since it's inside the pack. The two Gatorade bottles are easily filled from the larger water containers I keep next to them, or any number of streams in my AO. I should find a way to store them full, though. I have run out of water before during a hike.

Thanks again! Feedback allows me to evaluate my preps and see if they work or not for my area and consider alternatives. Keep it coming!

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:24 pm

LOL....I like how much you streamlined and your load got more sensible and lightweight over the last 5 years.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”