Jurassic scenario

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

alessandro

Jurassic scenario

Post by alessandro » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:11 am

Suppose a scenario of a travel into the era of the dinosaurs without return back, where the "portal" will remain open but:
- only for a restricted time limit (for example 1 hour)
- the size of the load can not exceed the (HxW) 3.50x10meters
- the portal is one way only, can no longer be opened, but during that 1 hour you can get electronic information.
So you know that you will find only land on the other side.

Which are your weapons of choice?
Which vehicle?
Etc?

Note:
I think a similar scenario is a lot worst respect a zombie apocalypse.
No that the zombies are less deadly or you can necessarily survive longer in certain situations.
But I will indicate some possible problems later :mrgreen: for try to not take the fun out supposely no one tells them sooner on their reply.
Last edited by alessandro on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Re: Jurassic scenario

Post by Keith B » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:40 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1641349/?mode=desktop
I imagine something like this.
So the portal is open, one way, for one hour?
I suppose my second question is why are we going?
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

doc savage
Favorite Zombie Movies: no favorite yet.
does resident evil count? :)

Post by doc savage » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:17 am

why are we going through a one way portal to dinosaur land? WTF, my job sux, life sux, my neighborhood sux....and I get a chance to go through a magical portal to a realm of meat eating velociraptor murder lizards with all my favorite toys? hell yeah im going without a second thought.

i'll take a single shot .22 pistol, a tricycle with thumb bell, and a bacon neck-tie.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:53 am

My load was going to be 3.51 meters... looks like I'm out of this one, fellas

Wait, if you can get a time machine, then you can probably get me the ghost of Fred Bear... that way we can go bow hunting for a T-Rex
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:07 am

Keith B wrote:why are we going?
This is not really important but suppose that you are obliged by the circumstances, for example end of the world for:
- an alien invasion without any hope to win but miraculously you has this portal in the experimental stage from years
- dying planet that will happen well before the end of our Sun assuming that space travel have not been developed at that time
- etc

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:09 am

alessandro wrote:
Keith B wrote:why are we going?
- an alien invasion without any hope to win but miraculously you has this portal in the experimental stage from years
ah, you never said alien invasion... if that's the case, I want a really big net to bring all the dinos back so they can eat and make he aliens extinct...
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:18 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:ah, you never said alien invasion...
I haven't said nothing before because I think wasn't important give a reason, thinking implicitly that is not present possibilities of choice in regard.
Later, after the question, I tried to attempt some explanations to make explicit this absence of choice.
JeeperCreeper wrote:if that's the case, I want a really big net to bring all the dinos back so they can eat and make he aliens extinct...
Since is only one way you can't.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:35 am

alessandro wrote:
I haven't said nothing before because I think wasn't important give a reason, thinking implicitly that is not present possibilities of choice in regard.
Later, after the question, I tried to attempt some explanations to make explicit this absence of choice.
JeeperCreeper wrote:if that's the case, I want a really big net to bring all the dinos back so they can eat and make he aliens extinct...
Well then I will bring an alien-call and an alien-decoy and lure them into the dinosaur realm, hence therefore saving the planet, hence therefore having women and children singing and praising my name for generations.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:45 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
alessandro wrote:
Well then I will bring an alien-call and an alien-decoy and lure them into the dinosaur realm, hence therefore saving the planet, hence therefore having women and children singing and praising my name for generations.
Would it be awkward if I said "I love you" for this answer!?!?!!?!!?!! I hope not.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:11 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:Well then I will bring an alien-call and an alien-decoy and lure them into the dinosaur realm, hence therefore saving the planet, hence therefore having women and children singing and praising my name for generations.
This thing can not work for two reasons:
- you should lure every alien
- the only way for an alien to come to us would use a space travel then you should also be sure that no alien is left in orbit and don't exist some automatic self-destruction command of the planet, et similar inside the ships, that activate in the case aren't present any alien, etc

I think more a scenario is difficult, more is fun (1) think about how try at least reduce the issue, regardless if the situation is more or less hopeless. :wink:

1) At intellectual level don't certainly in practice.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:27 am

Some of the more compact Transformer robots come in at under that 3.5 meter limit. Just sayin'.

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:20 am

Why instead don't make an effort based only on what is really currently available?
Assuming such technological advancements, the game became too easy, so you take away the fun. :wink:

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:26 am

alessandro wrote:Why instead don't make an effort based only on what is really currently available?
Assuming such technological advancements, the game became too easy, so you take away the fun. :wink:

I would argue that everyone who posted in here is having fun, but that is just my take.

To play along, I am going to give my normal response to such threads:

Please don't tell me it won't fit. If I can come up with time travel, I would be on my fourth or fifth death star as a death star is VASTLY more important than time travel. I Figure version 3.0 is shrinkable, and version 4.0 is a pocket version.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:10 am

Murphman wrote:I would argue that everyone who posted in here is having fun, but that is just my take.
Ok no problem. :wink:
Now I should only wait someone that have the desire to participate on the topic with my idea of fun. :D

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:23 pm

Lots of laboratory equipment.
+
Scientists specializing in animal behavior and intelligence, veterinarians (voluntary or not...)
+
Several zoos' worth of big cat to elephant animal husbandry equipment.
=
Domesticated dinosaurs. You think your all-terrain vehicle is badass?

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:30 pm

And what do you think to use for defense, both in the initial phase and during the period of time required for your strategy to bear same initial result?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:34 pm

All I know if is I step off the path and kill a butterfly bad shit will happen.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:41 pm

If we are ignoring the Terra Nova of it all, and just talking about what kind of firepower we'd be bringing to the party against dinos and such.

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=113780
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:05 pm

I take a look at that link now but this topic is a sort of Dinosaur "Apocolypse" so the requirenments are different. No Jurassic Park.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:40 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote:If we are ignoring the Terra Nova of it all, and just talking about what kind of firepower we'd be bringing to the party against dinos and such.

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=113780
Hey!!!! Somebody remembered my thread!!! Too bad I forgot about it and it was mine...

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:29 pm

alessandro wrote:And what do you think to use for defense, both in the initial phase and during the period of time required for your strategy to bear same initial result?
3.5 meter tall hole (and wide?) and 1 hour means you have a lot of options that are mainly limited by what is on the other side of the hole (IE how fast you can safely drive vehicles through). What's more, dinosaurs ain't zombies. They won't like loud noises, fire, electric shocks, things that taste like magma, bullets to the thoracic cavity, getting killed for approaching my base of operations, etc. A nice mix of some of all of that should be sufficient. Dinosaurs may be big and dinosaurs may be dangerous, but so are elephants and tigers. How many of those are still around?

Then, likely well before I die, I get to ride a dinosaur. I may or may not mount machine guns or cannons to it.

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:20 am

KGBrick wrote:3.5 meter tall hole (and wide?)
I forgot, now I update the topic with that information. :)
KGBrick wrote:1 hour means you have a lot of options that are mainly limited by what is on the other side of the hole
Yes, on the reply I have started to make a partial list.

Note:
I think 1 hour remains a time rather stringent. :mrgreen:
Last edited by alessandro on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:37 am

Strategy for a scenario where there aren't many dinosaur around the portal and/or a new safe place is relative close.
Use some:
- UGV (unmanned ground vehicle) for understand the situation behind the portal and some for reconnaissance on each direction
- UAV (unmanned aerial vehicles) for start a mapping of the territory for above (using camera and LiDAR)
Use at least five precious minutes for reconnaissance.
Use military vehicle (i specify later something more specific):
- tank (with a size according to the existing space) able to transport at least 3 military, 1 combat medic with medic kit level 3, 1 or 2 civilian if is possible, and rations for at least two days, and ammunition for the portable firearm, that should be used also as initially temporary defensive perimeter (making a circle or a rectangle)
Each military, included the combat medic with an assault rifle that use the caliber 7.62x51mm NATO, as last resort against relatively small dinosaurs (perhaps could be efficient if the seize is no more then 3 times a human beign) with a:
- riflescope 1-4x
- laser targeting systems
- night-vision
- grenade launcher on the rifle for bigger target
The civilian could take the same firearm or use what they have already (but only one longer firearm at max two handgun for limit of space).
Full equiped with night vision, thermal vision, bullet protection (at least for smaller dinosaur must be of some help).
Add even smaller tracked and don't tracked IFV(Infantry Fighting Vehicle).
Essentially a total of 3 type of military armed and shielded vehicle for defense/reconnaissance.
- vehicles more properly for transport, heavily shielded
- vehicles for construction and manual instrument for construction and agriculture
- cutting tools suitable for jungles, for the kitchen, etc
- generators
- solar panels
- wind turbines of medium size, to assemble later
- surveillance cameras
- infrared motion detectors
- grenades
- grenade launcher
- plastic explosive
- mines
- diving equipment with some robots also if later is find a lake or other (just in case, but since are present dinosaur even under water without thinking of diving for fun)
- sonar
- Remote Sensing with radar using some small drone and small helicopters radio controlled
- laptops (all relevant information will be printed on paper)
- antennas for communication and remote control
- a lot of battery
- a lot of fuel
- seed
- food and water
Civilian: agronomists, paleontologists, engineers, metallurgists, etc. each one of them with some book and instruments useful for their job.
All volunteers.
For a total of people perhaps around 300-350.

Once is found an appropriate allocation, after finished to make a location, reduce at minimum the use of fuel and find an alternative.
Before the vehicle became useless for lack of fuel arrange them in an appropriate manner so that at least can be used as long is present ammo for their weapons and as partial outer defensive perimeter.
Use no more then two military vehicle each time, for save fuel, after the allocation is finished for get what you need from the surroundings.
Make test, as soon as possible, for understand what is edible from the local flora and fauna. Initially using a laboratory, later see if the rabbit eat it, later, after boiling it, only few people should try to eat very small quantity, if after one week seem that there aren't any problem, some other can try, if after three week everything remain fine, it is reasonable to think that are safe.
Given that observation alone of dinosaur that eat something don't give the security that the human could eat it.

Regarding the transport of animals ... mmm ... I think is problematic because they make noise and attract undue attention from local animals.
Last edited by alessandro on Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:04 am, edited 25 times in total.

alessandro

Post by alessandro » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:57 am

Order of exit from the portal.
4 Foster-Miller TALON SWORDS (Special Weapons Observation Reconnaissance Detection System) equipped with a .50 cal M82 Barrett rifle to be leave near the portal
4 XactSense Titan UAV with LIDAR SLAM mapping capabilities, but not all together, because they have limited autonomy.
XactMaps use a software that can process low-altitude aerial LiDAR data without require a GPS that obviously did not exist at time reference of this game so I find it interesting.
8 x G-nius Avantguard MK II send (on pair) on each direction for a reconnaissance
10 Ripsaw MS2 UGV equipped with an M2 .50 cal machine gun for attempt to enlarge the perimeter as large as possible.
On this way should be possible forming a partial dissuasive advanced defensive line forming a certain deterrence against medium size dinosaur rather than actual effectiveness against the bigger dinosaur.
Tank:
- 8 K2 “Black Panther” (crew 3)
- 8 FV4034 Challenger 2 (crew 4)
AAV (Amphibious Assault Vehicle):
- 6 Iveco SuperAV 8x8 armed with RWS carrying a 40mm cannon (crew 1+ passengers 12)
- 6 AAV-7 (crew 3+ passengers 21) armed with .50 cal machinegun and 40mm grenade launcher
Transport equipment and fuel:
- 10 Oshkosh Defense PLS (Palletised Load System) A1 M1074A1 + Oshkosh Defense PLS M1076 trailer (PLST) (crew 1+ passengers 1?)
- 2 Oshkosh Defense MTVR (Medium Tactical Vehicle Replacement) tractor wheeled fitted with TerraMax UGV (unmanned ground vehicle) technology for transport fuel using the Variant CST (Close Support Tanker) - 20000 L
2 x Lockheed Martin SMSS (Squad Mission Support System) with Velodyne HDL-64E LiDAR sensor: for transport explosive
2 x Lockheed Martin SMSS with Velodyne HDL-64E LiDAR sensor: for transport machine gun with the relative ammo
4 x Lockheed Martin SMSS with Velodyne HDL-64E LiDAR sensor: for transport part of ammo but mainly as rescue vehicle for crew injured or whose vehicle are rendered incapacitated to move, as partial help for the Cougar HE

Decison to make:
Use bigger Construction Equipment as for example the follow:
3 Caterpillar D9R WHA Crawler Tractor (?)
that provide some protection to the driver but without arms so must rely on the rest of the convoy or add more vehicle for transport equipment with smallter construction equipment due to the limitations of the portal.
Other solution, though not very feasible in hostile territory (since require time), mount the bigger construction equipment over the transport equipment after they pass the portal.

8 Cougar HE 6x6 MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Patrol Vehicle) (crew 1+ passengers 10) with RWS (Remote Weapon System) carrying a Browning M2 12.7mm (.50 inch) and Oshkosh TAK-4 independent suspension system.

The formation is composed from multiple columns where the outer part is made from tank and between them from vehicle with arms, and the most inner part is composed from the:
- tanker
- PLS (some of them)
- crawler tractor

The vehicle for transport people don't be filled at maximum, because I want leave some room, in the event that some vehicle is no longer able to move and it is necessary to start a flash rescue operation while the convoy remain in motion.

Inside of each container, except on the tanker for obvious reasons, must be present material, food and armament, even if in different percentages.
While only the material that may espode should be stored on a part of a single container.

From the 275 people I make an estimate of 50 deaths during the first year.

The remotely operated vehicle will be recovered later while the one left near the portal will be made to move near a tree to observe what happen at the animal freed and observe the additional containers abandoned near the portal for a possible later retrieval.

Cons.
Using this strategy the possible initial losses may be relevant well considering the limited territorial knowledge.
Since I don't want concentrate too many people in a few vehicles, the ammount of vehicles are more noticeable from the dinosaur during the path on the "final" location.
Construction vehicles should keep at minimum.

Note:
I doubt the armor present on the vehicles to be effective against different bigger dinosaur. Probably the tank resist better than others but if they were incapacitated to continue, the people within them, if they are not quickly taken up by other vehicles, would be easy prey from dinosaur.
Last edited by alessandro on Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:16 am, edited 111 times in total.

Return to “What Would You Do?”