bug out bicycle?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

eugene

Re: bug out bicycle?

Post by eugene » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:10 pm

I keep a small toolkit and spare tube as well as some bike maps with mine all the time.

http://www.parktool.com/product/tool-roll-btr-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was about $50 but US made and better quality than most others out there.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:33 am

Why have a bike dedicated BOB? Weight. You don't just want to go light, you want your weight distributed so it doesn't impact handling. Add to that some bike specific items like tool kit, spare tube, and spare spokes and you end up with a Bike BOB.

On tires with any vehicle buy the best. Check out Schwable. Expensive but worth it for flat reduction.

Coal-Cracker

Post by Coal-Cracker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:16 am

Tater Raider wrote:...

On tires with any vehicle buy the best. Check out Schwable. Expensive but worth it for flat reduction.
I second Schwalbe tires. Go tubeless and flats are a thing of the past.
ZS Fleet Vehicle # ZS 0020

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Anyone have experience / opinions about the low end fat bikes?

Looking at getting one, then optionally putting on a motor.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:09 pm

.milFox wrote:Anyone have experience / opinions about the low end fat bikes?

Looking at getting one, then optionally putting on a motor.
Take the money you'd spend on a low end fat bike, plus the money you'd spend on a motor and use it to buy a decent quality mountain or hybrid bicycle. Depending on your total budget, going used versus buying new will probably be the wisest choice.

Alternately, if you're really wedded to the idea of a motor, look for a used Honda XR250 on Craigslist.

Those are the two nicest things I can say about the idea of putting a motor on a low end fat bike.

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:27 pm

Any particular reasoning?

A mtb or hybrid isn't going to be very good on sand or snow which is the purpose of this build.

What is, say, a Surley Moonlander going to get me that's worth the extra 2k? For low speed tooling around on sand/snow. Not my primary commute bike or anything. For which I actually have a decent road bike for. Nor will I be planning on doing any rapid single track stuff.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:00 pm

If you know you're only going to be bugging out in snowy or sandy terrain, then by all means, go with the fat bike. But get a good one. Low end bicycles of any type are a poor investment because they're heavy and invariably have crappy components. Whatever style of bike strikes your fancy, spend extra to get a quality specimen. That's why I suggested buying used if you're on a tight budget.

The idea of putting a motor on a bicycle; I just never understood. It sounds like you're trying to make a small displacement scooter, moped or motorcycle, and a pedal bicycle is a poor foundation for a motorized drivetrain. Are we talking about the kind of motor kit that places a 2-stroke engine inside the frame triangle, a supplemental drive chain down to the rear sprocket and a 1 gallon gas tank anchored to the top tube? Maybe the state of the art has advanced, but that's the kind of motor kit I'm familiar with.

I saw a guy riding one in western Florida once, and it struck me as at best a boulevard bike, suitable for level, paved terrain. He looked like he was having fun, but really struggled to maintain speed on a very modest incline up over the bridge to Siesta Key. He was rail thin and was wearing a backpack containing what I assume was a towel and other sundries for a day at the beach.

Even with fat tires, I can't imagine that type of vehicle being practical when laden down and negotiating snowy or sandy terrain.

JPBeck
Favorite Zombie Movies: OG Dawn of the Dead

Post by JPBeck » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:49 pm

I tend to agree with the others when they say buy a quality bike from a good bike shop. These days with the internet the prices from one shop to another are about the same. A good quality bike will last a long time. Also around September bikes start to go on sale because the shops are starting to get in the next year's models. Some bike shops give free tune ups on the bikes they sell. One shop in my town gives life time tune ups the other shop gives one year. I't's important to keep your bikes operational and dare I say it... ride them! Most people have a bike or two in their garages, but I bet over half of them are not functional. So that's a consideration as well. I love my bike, riding a bike is one of my favorite things to do.

As for bugging out, which would be a end all, be all last resort, but if all else failed, we'd head out on our bikes. So when my boys out grew the bike trailer we decided to keep it and repurpose it.

It's a Sunlite and has a load range of 100lbs.
Three packs with everything we'd need comes out to be about 75lbs.
Click to enlarge

Packs

Loaded

Rain Fly

Our Bikes: RockHopper, Women's Trek, Boy's 24" Trek

Williamd

Post by Williamd » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:59 am

It will take time to dive deeper into the advantages and the disadvantages of a bug out bicycle.
- No scarcity problem since fixies are everywhere
- Never-ever seen a F.G.B traffic jam
- It is reliable
- Easy to maintain
- We are fossil fuel addicted human being
& lots more… :words:
Dabro.W

Return to “Transportation”