Wearing MARPAT in public?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

FenceCat
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand
The Walking Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Resident Evil series

Re: Wearing MARPAT in public?

Post by FenceCat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:48 am

My father is a Vietnam Vet, and he doesn't seem to care that I, or others wear any military garment, or carry any military bag.

I have worn a USMC logo shirt when out with my father before, (he is disabled so we're together a lot in public), and I was stopped and asked if *he* served. It struck up a nice conversation with a fellow Vet.

I wear the shirt because I am proud that my father was a Marine and served his country, and sacrificed a leg and his health for all of us.

No matter what military garment I wear it is in honor of his sacrifice and others like him. If they ask me if I served, I will tell them no, and then proudly tell them my father is a Vietnam Vet.

Now my question is, how do you feel about women wearing military issue clothing in public? Would this raise the same question, or just be a fashion statement?

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:08 am

FenceCat wrote: Now my question is, how do you feel about women wearing military issue clothing in public? Would this raise the same question, or just be a fashion statement?
Military issue clothing on women makes their butts look big. Before anyone jumps up to say how hot Michelle Rodriguez or Linda Hamilton looked in BDUs I will point out that all of those movies had costume designers and tailors.

On a more serious note, the trench coat, aviator glasses, bomber jackets and cargo pants all took their influence from military issue gear.

By all means wear the t shirt of your favorite service, not a problem. I'm wearing my CIA polo shirt right now. When people ask, I tell them I got it from the Langley gift shop. Except the cable tv guys. I want them to think I can have them killed if they keep me waiting around the house for hours.

Most of us have issues with people trying to claim something they didn't earn. Not too many of those, but enough that there is a whole website dedicated to guys who claim to be operators.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:49 am

FenceCat wrote:Now my question is, how do you feel about women wearing military issue clothing in public?
The same way I feel about men wearing military issue clothing in public.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:19 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
FenceCat wrote:Now my question is, how do you feel about women wearing military issue clothing in public?
The same way I feel about men wearing military issue clothing in public.
It is almost as though the men and women in the service wear the same combat uniforms :oh:
Military issue clothing on women makes their butts look big.
Womens butts are big, wider pelvis and different fat storage locations. May as well say that military issue clothing makes me look fat. I am pretty sure it is my gut that makes me look fat not the clothes.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Sledd00
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sledd00 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:25 pm

If you want to spend your money on the current generation of US military uniforms, be my guest. I only wear it because I have to. I find the material is sub-par at best, the stitching is crap, and ACU camo only blends in to pavement at midday in the summer (or grandma's couch). MARPAT blends in better to certain environs, and so does Multicam, but the rest still applies.

Patches, badges, insignias, and other earned items? That's pretty insulting to those who have earned them, but unless you're trying to use them to get free stuff, or some other sort of service member only benefit, nobody can really stop you.

Gear? Go for it. I do like certain items, such as the TAPS panel, but honestly? You can probably find better stuff, cheaper. Lowest bidder and all that.

Synopsis: As long as you aren't impersonating a service member, you aren't doing anything wrong. You aren't infringing on anyone else's rights, and you aren't hurting anyone (except maybe their feelings). Does that mean no one will call you out or start an argument? Nope. Some people are going to be offended by it. That's a risk you take.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:59 am

Do I get offended by military garb/gear in casual situations? absolutely not. Do I think that military style garb/gear is inappropriate or silly looking in certain casual situations? oh yes.

When I see people rockin' the military bags or jackets to the office, especially when they didn't serve, I get the mall ninja vibe from them. Doesn't mean they can't, I just think the look like a tool. I also say that about Affliction shirts, doesn't mean people shouldn't wear them because of my opinions.

The problem I have is when people act like somehing they are not. You wanna wear a Marines Tee Shirt, please do!! Just don't say you were one if someone asks and you weren't. I wear my buddy's Recon Marine shirt all the time, when people ask if I am in Recon, I have to shamefully explain he gave it to me and I was in an inferior branch in an inferior position...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:00 am

I honestly couldn't care less about who's wearing what. So long as they're not actively posing as .mil, I don't give it a second thought. I see young punks and old retired dudes wearing current issue camo. They think it's cool, so they sport it. And not a single care was given by me. They can be wearing every tab in existence, and I still would not find a care to spare. The only way that my attention would be brought to the wearer is if I hear diarrhea coming from his/her mouth alluding to him/her being .mil. Outside of that, caring about other peoples business is too much effort for me.

Boom40mm

Post by Boom40mm » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:29 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:I honestly couldn't care less about who's wearing what. So long as they're not actively posing as .mil, I don't give it a second thought. I see young punks and old retired dudes wearing current issue camo. They think it's cool, so they sport it. And not a single care was given by me. They can be wearing every tab in existence, and I still would not find a care to spare. The only way that my attention would be brought to the wearer is if I hear diarrhea coming from his/her mouth alluding to him/her being .mil. Outside of that, caring about other peoples business is too much effort for me.
After it bothering me for a while I adopted a stance along these lines. I think my last upset was seeing guys I know personally, wearing their utilities as cut off shorts and sleeveless vests on Halloween. They earned it, but in my head I see/hear "Chau" saying "HA! Gaaaaaay!".

The stolen valor guys, they're a totally different ball game.

(Best believe if the world goes tits up I am wearing woodlands to E&E [even after the crotches rip out] as I can't justify buying multicam when I have so many pairs of digi's still intact.) Go Corps for developing/borrowing/employing a functional pattern that still stands the test of time.

FenceCat
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand
The Walking Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Resident Evil series

Post by FenceCat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:04 am

After looking at a few posts back it seems a majority agree wearing a full uniform with patches and rank insignia in public is a no-no if they are not active military.

However, wearing just the pants or the BDU shirt is acceptable as long as civilian clothing is incorporated into the mix.

I must admit I always give a second look to folks in full military garb, but assume they are active military.

Folks with just the pants or the jacket on don't get much of my attention except for, "Oh, look there's some MARPAT pants."

Return to “Bug Out Gear”