It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:24 pm 

4) Work within your community. Strengthen ties to your neighbors. Support your local LEOs.

I was going to retire anyway, regardless of the non-incentives offered to me, but I'm getting very tired of the institution's willful ignorance and the populace's refusal to educate itself. Do people really foirget after 13 years?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:29 pm 

jor-el wrote:
4) Work within your community. Strengthen ties to your neighbors. Support your local LEOs.

I was going to retire anyway, regardless of the non-incentives offered to me, but I'm getting very tired of the institution's willful ignorance and the populace's refusal to educate itself. Do people really foirget after 13 years?

Sometimes unbelievably so.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:16 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
Quote:
Where & how boils down to their resources. The network that launched 9/11 is dead or fled, and what has occurred since has been independent cells operating with limited resources.

I am uncertain about what the source of your information or how that works? The 9/11 attacks were conducted by an independent cell with limited resources. Half a million dollars and less than 50 people.

After 9/11 Al Queda then went on to fight two wars in different countries over a decade. While they were doing that they launched major attacks that have killed thousands of people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_o ... da_attacks

Note that the article does not include attacks from AQ inspired organization like the Madrid train bombers or the Boston Bombers. It certainly is by no means a complete list either. The last major attack took place at the Algerian gas plant in 2013 that was essentially a failure resulting in the deaths of 40 victims and hundreds of millions in damages. Had they succeeded and the gas plant gone up the toll would have been in the thousands and cost much more. For a dead organization they seem pretty active.

I was referring to their organization within the USA.

Stercutus wrote:
Quote:
Myself, I've got money riding on the Superbowl.

Could be. If I were into that sort of thing I would go with a time and a place for which we are least prepared instead of one for which we are most prepared. Limited resources, outside the box thinking.
[/quote]

We are not at all prepared for a strike on the Superbowl.

Counter-terror security at the point of attack is a difficulty barrier at best. The way you prevent attacks is proactive and preemptive action, hitting them before they can establish the logistical infrastructure required for a major hit.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:34 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Stercutus wrote:
jor-el wrote:

Sometimes unbelievably so.

As gratifying as it is to look down one's nose at everyone who "forgot" it bears noting that mental fatigue is a thing. Most folks don't want to live in constant fear of a terror attack, just like we don't want to live in constant fear of a horrific motor vehicle accident or freak coronary or a godforsaken prion disease eating holes in your nervous tissue or a giant rogue somethingorother smacking earth at Ludicrous Speed. We make some concessions to avoid going absolutely crazy and spotting terrorists behind every tree and bush. "Complacency kills" but that doesn't mean you worry about everything all the time. You prioritize bvased on most likely/most dangerous, and how you can prepare.

Hitch the high horse for a minute before declaring yourselves the last sane men in America and bemoaning that people "forgot." Hell for people my age that was the defining moment of middle or high school, and we've spent the last 13 years pouring money and lives into the Middle East because of it. Forget? If you worry about everything all the time you end up chewing on the walls. Every time you scarf down a jelly donut or fried chicken, you're exposing yourself to far more risk of death by 'beetus or heart attack than you will be at risk of death by CONUS terror attack, even if you live in a high-priority target area. Did you forget that it's unhealthy, or just accept that the risk is worth it and accept that risk without constantly worrying?

Self-righteous condescension is not a becoming feature, particularly in LEOs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:35 am 

My last attempt at answering this question got derailed by my own absurd affection for outdated British telephone equipment encountered while I was spending a significant portion of my childhood living through a prolonged terror campaign. Let me try again.

If you do anything other than carry on with your normal life, then the terrorists have successfully terrified you. They win.

Learn to keep an eye out for unattended packages, luggage, backpacks, that kind of thing. Notice the exit routes and fire alarm pulls in any public building you enter. Carry a means to contact your loved ones. Carry a FAK that matches your own first aid knowledge. A flashlight can be helpful, too. Carry a firearm if you legally can and you think it's necessary. Have some extra food on hand at home. Beyond that, live your normal life. Go to work. Go to school. Take your kids to their sports practice or music lessons or whatever. The only thing to fear is fear itself.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:18 am 

jor-el wrote:

They do.

Before 9/11 it was, 'it can't happen here.'

Now its 'It won't happen again.'

Frankly, I'm impressed we've gotten 13 years without a major hit. But I think that's going to change.

My alien invasion novel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:45 am 

TheZone wrote:
Frankly, I'm impressed we've gotten 13 years without a major hit. But I think that's going to change.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:46 pm 

jor-el wrote:

It was inevitable, but I'm surprised it didn't fade away sooner.

There is a new generation of people now that were either too young to understand what was going on during 9/11/01 or who were simply not even born yet. Figure todays Teenagers who just got their drivers license were toddlers in 2001, and those young adults are going to graduate College this year and joined the workforce were in 2nd grade in 2001.

Times change. Some People not only in the USA but even in Russia and Europe don't understand how bad the Soviet Union was. Probably 95% of the population has no clue how bad WWII was, because they didn't live thru it and time passed. I read about Pearl Harbor, and VJ Day, but I never REALLY understood what it was like until I lived thru somewhat similar events like 9/11/01, 11/9/1989 and 12/26/1991.

This next generation are going to be like we were at that age, young and not a care in the world....until something happens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:37 pm 

Mikeyboy wrote:
jor-el wrote:

It was inevitable, but I'm surprised it didn't fade away sooner.

There is a new generation of people now that were either too young to understand what was going on during 9/11/01 or who were simply not even born yet. Figure todays Teenagers who just got their drivers license were toddlers in 2001, and those young adults are going to graduate College this year and joined the workforce were in 2nd grade in 2001.

Times change. Some People not only in the USA but even in Russia and Europe don't understand how bad the Soviet Union was. Probably 95% of the population has no clue how bad WWII was, because they didn't live thru it and time passed. I read about Pearl Harbor, and VJ Day, but I never REALLY understood what it was like until I lived thru somewhat similar events like 9/11/01, 11/9/1989 and 12/26/1991.

This next generation are going to be like we were at that age, young and not a care in the world....until something happens.

Well said!

My alien invasion novel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:11 pm 

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

Bunch of stuff.... some thinly veiled insults... ending with....

Self-righteous condescension is not a becoming feature, particularly in LEOs.

:roll:

Physician heal thyself.

Who do you think I was talking about? I care not if tweens at the Starbucks or the soccer moms at Panera's forget and go about their lives. If they can't that means the bad guys are winning. The people who are paid to be concerned about such things need to not forget and be ever vigilant. If you don't think there are people right now, today, planning the next attack against the US or in the middle of trying to execute a plan you really are nuts; because you should know better.

There is a big difference between "worrying" about some shit and "dealing" with it and addressing it the way it should be addressed.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:48 pm 

I didn't know where to post this, but I thought it should go in this thread. From my local news:

http://www.kutv.com/news/features/natio ... CRU3PldVVZ

As others have said, I think it's important to not constantly live in fear that they may attack. The chances of you being affected by this are small but I believe it's a good idea to stay vigilant.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:50 pm 

Richter wrote:
I didn't know where to post this, but I thought it should go in this thread. From my local news:

As others have said, I think it's important to not constantly live in fear that they may attack. The chances of you being affected by this are small but I believe it's a good idea to stay vigilant.

Meh, not sure how credible the source is as they run away too much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:53 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Richter wrote:

Announcing knowledge of an attack to the press? Sounds like a desperate attempt to garner support against ISIS. "Hey they're totally coming after your home!"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:03 pm 

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Richter wrote:

Announcing knowledge of an attack to the press? Sounds like a desperate attempt to garner support against ISIS. "Hey they're totally coming after your home!"

Yeah, I got that feeling too. But I think it could also mean that there's no more information about it and they have no way of stopping it or preventing it so it serves as to warn people about it. Just my .02.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:49 pm 

Richter wrote:

Something that you need to watch for is the subtle hints that is already out there. I noticed a serious uptick Philadelphia PA area in the advertisements for "If you see anything strange, report it" hotline for New Jersey transit trains. 3 years ago it was more Amtrak and Philadelphia Subway system (SEPTA) and not a peep from NJ Transit. Could be something, or it could be a hangup in funding for the ads or setup up the hotline, who knows.

Reminds me of 2003ish when Cheney and others were recommending everyone stock up on Duct tape and Plastic sheets and have food for 3 days. Back then the biggest fear on the news more terrorist attacks, a dirty bomb or a chemical attack, however Duct tape, plastic, and food for 3 days did not completely gel with those possible SHTF events. What SHTF event does match those 3 items? Sheltering in place for nuclear fallout.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:14 pm 

Quote:
We are not at all prepared for a strike on the Superbowl.

?

AT was part of the ops process of every Superbowl for a decade.
http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/ ... 8-2014.pdf for last year's for instance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:25 pm 

Richter wrote:

1) The U.N.G.A. is convening this week. Foreign dignitaries and POTUS all over the place.
2) Its Rosh Hashana, a Jewish High Holy day. Synagogues packed all around the city.
3) Yankees having a home game tonight.
Yeah, why not add a terrorist threat? What could make it worse?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/i ... -1.1952521

http://nypost.com/2014/09/25/de-blasio- ... ay-threat/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:19 am 

disu wrote:
They usually report this kind of news because it is important. The UK announced it has credible evidence that it expects a terrorist attack within a month. It looks like I must hire an attorney for this case. This is important.
Sadly, we aren't receiving any direction on what we as individuals or as a country can do. We could see an attack on our soil at any time.

It could be anything from a bomb in an office building to poisoning a water supply. Who knows? It seems impossible to prepare.
What can we do?

How can anyone really be prepared for something unexpected? Best be aware of the surroundings. If in a building, know the evacuation plan, when outside, know which ways lead to safe areas. If something does happen try not to panic and use common sense.