Collapsible Bushcraft/Back Packing Saw

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Maverick299

Collapsible Bushcraft/Back Packing Saw

Post by Maverick299 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:47 pm

I am in the market for my first bushcraft saw and could use some help from people that have hands on with them.

Stipulations are as follows:
1. Must be collapsible.
2. Lightweight for backpacking
3. Sturdy enough for hardwood
4. I don't want to say money is not a stipulation, but I would rather pay $150 for something that will last 20 years than $20 for something that will break on the first use.

What do you suggest?
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Collapsible Bushcraft/Back Packing Saw

Post by Boondock » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:51 pm

Bacho Laplander.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Kershaw Taskmaster.

Bought one to have for both the trail and light duty around the yard. +/-$40.00.

MIL (Ubber landscaping/horticulture fiend) saw me using it and wanted one. Got it for her...then FIL promptly proceeded to hijack it and take it to the horse farm where it was put to use cutting down wayward saplings, scrap fence posts for the wood stove and God knows what else. Had to get a 3rd one to keep the peace.

I must confess I am a Shun Kai / Kershaw fan-boy so when I started looking around I was already biased from the other stuff of theirs I own (and EDC).

Did I mention the lifetime warranty? Also, very good Oregon based- Customer Service.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:23 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of a buck saw, not really a folder, but thanks for the suggestions so far.

Something more like this:

http://nwwoodsman.com/Videos/Bucksawvideo.html

ViolentKooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by ViolentKooter » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:52 pm

I've got a Sven Saw - 21". Just about a pound, works pretty awesome. I left mine lashed vertically to the side of the pack, as it is kind of long and am babying my new pack. About 40 bucks shipped.

http://www.rei.com/product/404013/sven-folding-saw-21

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:58 pm

http://m.rei.com/product/404013/sven-folding-saw-21

I've seen this brand mentioned around here before. It folds up pretty nice from what I've seen.

http://m.rei.com/product/775079/ultimat ... bercut-saw

I bought the above not expecting anything. Was actually pretty surprised, cuts easily, a lot easier on the hands/arms then a normal saw. Plus it's a smaller package. I've been thinking about adding a few teeth to it to see if I can really get it to cut.

Edit: HA! He beat me to it
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:18 pm

This is the collapsible saw that I carry. Unfortunately I can't offer much information about it other than it takes a 12" blade and is/was sold in the UK. It contains two HSS blades in it's tube and I have added a rough wood blade taped to the outside.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:58 pm

Of course, there's always the method of just carrying the blade and making the buck saw in camp. Not too practical but it's the lightest option.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Boondock wrote:Of course, there's always the method of just carrying the blade and making the buck saw in camp. Not too practical but it's the lightest option.
Oh yeah! Ray Mears has pretty good straight forward video on how to do this...true, it is a bit more labor intensive than just unpacking and assembling a folding saw, but it is good to know that if bad comes to worse one can improvise.

My YouTube posting juju is much lacking, but look up Ray Mears in Belarus, if I recall correctly he shows how to put together a bow saw using a piece of band saw material, a sapling, a batoning stick and some burning embers. :shock:
Last edited by mr_slappy75 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Laplander is boss. I bought it on a recommend from these very forums and haven't looked for another since.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

dunamis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by dunamis » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:32 pm

All you need is the saw blade. You can make a handle out of a limb or branch when you get to where you're doing the cutting. Sorry, I can't post a link to a YouTube where a guy shows how cause I'm on my phone. .

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:08 pm

The buck saw I would recommend is Bob Dustrude's Quick Buck Saw

21", 24", or 30" size options. Light, easy to use, reasonable price, takes standard saw blades you can buy at a hardware store.

Four Dogs video on these saws, if you want more there are quite a few video reviews on these saws.

I have one of the 24" ones and love it.

You can get these saws at Four Dog Stoves http://fourdog.com/bobs-quick-buck-saws/
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Burncycle

Post by Burncycle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:16 pm

I use laplander

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:06 am

Bahco laplander is the bee's knees for folding saws. It sucks when they get dull and cheaper just to buy a new one. The Sven saws are a tad heavier, but collapse nice and tight--oh, and they work great and have readily available replacement blades. Redeyes uses the previously mentioned Bob's folding buck saw which also works great.

For me, the laplander goes in my smaller kits while the sven is my go-to for backpacking. For a while I used only the laplander, but was wearing out the blade too fast (not a fault of the laplander, just excessive woods time on my behalf). The sven can handle some serious wood processing and I like being able to pick up replacement blades at REI.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:32 am

omega_man wrote:Bahco laplander is the bee's knees for folding saws. It sucks when they get dull and cheaper just to buy a new one. The Sven saws are a tad heavier, but collapse nice and tight--oh, and they work great and have readily available replacement blades. Redeyes uses the previously mentioned Bob's folding buck saw which also works great.

For me, the laplander goes in my smaller kits while the sven is my go-to for backpacking. For a while I used only the laplander, but was wearing out the blade too fast (not a fault of the laplander, just excessive woods time on my behalf). The sven can handle some serious wood processing and I like being able to pick up replacement blades at REI.
+1 to this

The go to recommendation for backpacking/bushcraft saws was always the Bacho Laplander and the Sawvivor.

The Laplander is a great folding saw, only 6.5 oz, 8" blade, very durable with a great sawtooth design. Swedish made, and its tactical looking in OD green with a black blade. I have one and love it.

The Sawvivor was probably one of the lightest collapsible camp bow saws at 9.5oz for the 15" model. Durable but it did have some occasional complaints/problems with the blade warping and retention, but there were tons of fans of the sawvivor. Unfortunately the Canadian company that made the Sawvivor went out of business recently, so its a moot point, but you still see them being sold. Personally I was never a big fan of the Sawvivor because for the most part, the Laplander does everything I need in a smaller, lighter package. However I'm using the Laplander hiking, camping and basic bushcrafting. That means I'm sawing nothing more than 5" in diameter. I am not trying to felt full size trees with it.

The Sven saw has been around for a long time. Its VERY durable and reliable for a compact, folding, bow saw. Swedish made so you know its quality. However that durability come with a weight penalty. The 15" Sven saw weighs 15oz and the 21" blade model weighs 17oz . I feel the Sven saw has a better design for a collapsible bow saw than the Sawvivor, especially where the blade lock up to the handle. I don't own one but I did use one once and had a chance to fondle it at a campsite. Also owners seem to really like them. Personally I would get the 15" version for backpacking/basic bushcraft if you think the Laplander is not enough saw for you . The Sven Saw and a hatchet and/or a sturdy knife and you are set. If you need a serious, compact, axe/saw combo I would consider the 21" blade model if you have the pack space. 6" inches more in blade length for a 2oz weight penalty is worth it.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:44 am

Thanks for all the replies. I decided on a 24" Schmidt Pack Saw. I wanted something a little more substantial for cutting "logs". I've used the small folding saws in the past and they work great for things 3" or less in diameter but I wanted something for 4"-6" diameter logs.

24" of cutting surface, 16 ounces, completely self contained when broken down.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:14 am

Maverick299 wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I decided on a 24" Schmidt Pack Saw....Image[/url]
well that's definitely the prettiest option. Putting that on the potential shopping list.

I use a fiskars collapsing saw for 90% of what I do

http://www2.fiskars.com/Gardening-and-Y ... 1_Oo61dU54

(I have the ones before they added the silly carabiner) one of the lighter/most compact options, fits in tiny daypacks or your pocket, has some serious cutting power but I doubt it'd keep up with a laplander.

for bigger stuff I just got a fiskars bow saw from Home Depot. pretty bulky but I can just lash it to the outside of my pack with my bulky sleeping pad. 15oz and cheap

http://www2.fiskars.com/Gardening-and-Y ... 1_Pja1dU54
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

moab

Post by moab » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Sven Saw 21". $35. Will last. You can buy replacement blades for it too. Check ebay.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Robbie in ME

Post by Robbie in ME » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:36 pm

I have a couple of those Schmidt pack saws. Worth the weight if you are processing wood. I use a folding silky if I need to shorten stuff in the tipi. Right tool for the job. I've wondered if an arborist saw would do anything better than my buck or folding saw.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:14 pm

Perhaps it's too late, but I use a Trail Blazer take down buck saw and I get through fairly serious logs with it.

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2010/09 ... eview.html

WWSD?

Kun2112

Post by Kun2112 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:38 pm

I highly recommend the Sven. Cheap compared to some others, compact, lightweight, and time tested. I've used one off and on since 1989.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”