Vote on new board display styles! VOTING CLOSED

If you have a question for members of the Zombie Squad bring it over here.

If this is a question specifically for an official authorized representative of Zombie Squad, Inc. your best bet will be to e-mail service@zombiehunters.org

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Pick your favorite display styles (click names for a link to a demo)

Poll ended at Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:31 pm

Dirty Board
15%
Bl@ck
9%
ProFormell
5%
Softwood
6%
AcidTech
5%
SE Gamer Dark
4%
Rock'n Roll Silver
3%
Alpha
4%
Artodia_phantom
1%
khaki_black
6%
SE Gamer Light
3%
khaki
4%
CA Vintage
4%
Avalon
2%
Aktif
2%
AZ_Retro
1%
madevo
0%
Neon
1%
Legacy
1%
Simplicity
1%
Saba
0%
Titan
4%
Pro_Ubuntu Lucid
4%
Envision
0%
Grunge
4%
Artodia_elegance
1%
Darkicy
5%
ClanzDarkness3 (has licensing warning, though)
2%
Poker Olympus
1%

Total votes: 217

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Vote on new board display styles! VOTING CLOSED

Post by shrapnel » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Votes are in. There was a 5-way tie between the ones with nine votes each, so I made everything unnecessarily complicated by assigning a number to each one and picking three numbers at random. So... here we are. I have no idea when we're going to implement any of it, but this is what we have for now.

Dirty Board 15% [ 33 ]
Bl@ck 9% [ 19 ]
Softwood 6% [ 13 ]
khaki_black 6% [ 12 ]
AcidTech 5% [ 11 ]
Darkicy 5% [ 11 ]
ProFormell 5% [ 10 ]
khaki 4% [ 9 ]
CA Vintage 4% [ 9 ]
Pro_Ubuntu Lucid 4% [ 9 ]

For reasons that I am not aware of, I can't edit the poll to close it. Rather than locking the whole thread to prevent comments, I'm posting a snapshot of the votes as they stand at this moment, for posterity, and these are the numbers that we are going with. Problem solved, but here's a screenshot anyway.

Old post wrote:As you may have noticed, things are looking a little bit different around here, depending on what board styles you use. We've had to toss a substantial number of the old display styles, because they are no longer supported/compatible with the current software. This has left us with a total of two usable styles right now, and they are ugly. Zombie Squad is all about form and fashion, so that means it's time to find more options for our aesthetically-conscious user base.

"But wait, Shrapnel," I can hear you asking, "what if you pick styles that are ugly and make my eyes hurt? You have the design sensibilities of a colorblind whelk! Who put you in charge of this?" The answer to the second question is, Crypto, and I'll add that KJ4VOV is also at fault for any displeasing choices co-heading up this deal with me, so don't blame me for anything. The more salient point is that assigning blame doesn't matter, because you, yes, YOU, will be voting to determine the ten styles that we eventually go with!

I apparently have a liberal definition of the date 10/26/13, but let's pretend it was on purpose. It's time to vote for your favorite ten board styles. You have until November 6th, 2013 to cast your vote. Unless I forget which day it is again, in which case, you have until then.

Listed here are the styles that were submitted by users for consideration. Look through them, if you are so inclined. Don't just look at the pretty colors- pay attention to where user interface buttons and links are. Do you always look to the bottom right side of a post to find the quote button? Perhaps you should look for themes that contain that functionality. That kind of thing. Having chosen your top ten, or top whatever number, cast your votes for the ones you'd like to see.

Keep in mind that Prosilver and subsilver2 are going to stay as they are, so you'll have those options if you hate all of the listed styles. Also keep in mind that the display styles listed are as-is. We can't modify/customize them with a different background image or color settings, as that causes problems, apparently.

Anianna wrote:Potential new forum styles and positive individual mentions of each (chat and suggestion thread combined):

Bl@ck
ProFormell
Softwood
AcidTech
SE Gamer Dark
Rock'n Roll Silver
Alpha
Artodia_phantom
khaki_black
SE Gamer Light
khaki
CA Vintage
Avalon
Aktif
AZ_Retro
madevo
Neon
Legacy
Simplicity
Saba
Titan
Pro_Ubuntu Lucid
Envision
Grunge
Artodia_elegance
Darkicy
ClanzDarkness3 (has licensing warning, though)
Poker Olympus

In order first of interest and then of first to be mentioned.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Re: NEW THREAD. Vote on new board display styles!

Post by shrapnel » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:31 pm

If your votes are invalid or something, try switching board styles to a supported one. Post in here if something is still wrong.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:27 am

I see e-tech Grey is on the do not use list. I'm sad.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:27 am

The 'Grunge' one would be nice if it was widescreen.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by shrapnel » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:11 am

Hoipoloi wrote:The 'Grunge' one would be nice if it was widescreen.
Sorry, we can't change it, as far as I know. What you see is what you get.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:20 am

shrapnel wrote:
Hoipoloi wrote:The 'Grunge' one would be nice if it was widescreen.
Sorry, we can't change it, as far as I know. What you see is what you get.
This is correct. Styles will not be modified or customized. They get installed just the way the designer created them. Customizing styles can lead to problems down the road, and is one of the reasons we're doing this remodel.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Spazzy

Post by Spazzy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:47 am

What would be the recommended style for those of us who read at work all day and do not wish to have the site scream;

"I'M NOT WORKING!!!"

when the boss looks in....? :D
Overheard at my USN retirement ceremony....
"So he's not a team player then?"
"You mean Spazz...? Hes not even a fan of the team."

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:16 pm

What style works best for you is entirely up to you. This is why Shrap made each choice a link to the sample of that style, so you can look at each one and decide which to vote for based on how it looks to you on your monitor/phone/tablet/etc.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

zommoz10

Post by zommoz10 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:49 pm

The styles that are hardest to read have the most amount of votes.
I can't help but think that's because they are the two top-most shown.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:32 pm

I assume you mean Dirty Board and Bl@ck ?
Those are the easiest to read on my monitor.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

zommoz10

Post by zommoz10 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:17 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:I assume you mean Dirty Board and Bl@ck ?
Yeah, on opposites day. :wink:

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:47 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:I see e-tech Grey is on the do not use list. I'm sad.
Yep it was the one I used, sadly we will have to learn to use something else.
zommoz10 wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:I assume you mean Dirty Board and Bl@ck ?
Yeah, on opposites day. :wink:
I agree with ZombieGranny, I find those easier on my eyes and to read myself too. If a display has too much white or light colors it hurts my eyes and makes it really hard to read for long, so I tend to prefer some of the darker displays. I do have to say though I don't like too dark either, a sort of nice mellow in between would be optimal.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Looks like Dirty Board will be the top choice, but then I sort of guessed it would be when I first saw it. It does sort of fit the site. Still lots of votes for other good choices. I am excited to eventually get the new styles. It will be like an early x-mas present. :clap:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet, how many new display styles will be added? We get to vote for 10, but how many will be chosen and installed? Will you be only taking the top 5 or 10? Or just 2 or 3?

BTW thank you Shrapnel and KJ4VOV for all the hard work you put in with this display change over. I am sure it seems like you get tons of complaints abut why can't we have this or that, so I just want to say thanks for everything. The good and bad, it all is great you did so much for this community. Whole heartedly thank you for it all.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:03 pm

zommoz10 wrote:The styles that are hardest to read have the most amount of votes.
The reason they are at the top, is those were the styles that people voiced the most interest in early on. There are still a lot of lower on the list choices that have been getting a decent amount of votes though.

From what I understand as one of the people who made suggestions for styles.
The list was compiled as interest in styles was voiced and a tally of how many people suggested each. So the last ones were the ones last to get mentioned, or the least amount of interest by people making suggestions.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:16 pm

ineffableone wrote:Looks like Dirty Board will be the top choice, but then I sort of guessed it would be when I first saw it. It does sort of fit the site. Still lots of votes for other good choices. I am excited to eventually get the new styles. It will be like an early x-mas present. :clap:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet, how many new display styles will be added? We get to vote for 10, but how many will be chosen and installed? Will you be only taking the top 5 or 10? Or just 2 or 3?

BTW thank you Shrapnel and KJ4VOV for all the hard work you put in with this display change over. I am sure it seems like you get tons of complaints abut why can't we have this or that, so I just want to say thanks for everything. The good and bad, it all is great you did so much for this community. Whole heartedly thank you for it all.
Thanks for the thanks but, truth be told, I haven't done squat. It's all Shrap's doing. She's the one who made the links and the post, I'm just sorta along for the ride. :lol:

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:59 pm

I do have some semi-serious questions:

It is obvious to me that a lot of the board styles listed at the phpbb web site were created by phpbb users (gamer clan board styles?) I know fuck-all about phpbb coding, but it seems to me that if some phpbb users are able to build stable board styles for the latest board software version than others can do it too. What, exactly, is preventing the forum admins from building a custom ZS board style? Is it a lack of experience with phpbb's latest version? A lack of volunteer hours to do the coding work? A lack of money to pay a pro to do it?

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate all of the hard work that goes into the forums, and I understand that ZS is a volunteer organization, but if the forum users alone can raise $10,000+ for a major disaster then we should be able to scrounge up the resources needed to build a custom ZS board style and keep it up-to-date with the latest version of the BBS software. I know I'd throw a few dollars toward that project.

Of course, I'm just a guest here, and all my green username means is that I have 15 bucks to throw towards the ZS cause a year, so feel free to say "Shut the fuck up, DarkAxel". I'm getting used to subsilver2. :crazy: :wink:
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Creating a style for phpbb isn't all that difficult. Keeping it current and functional as phpbb updates and evolves, that's where it gets difficult. Keeping it current and functional as phpbb updates and evolves, and as modules are added, removed, tested, improved and updated, that's pretty much a full-time job. I know, because that's been my job on my own forums for just as long as this place has been around (mine turns 10 years old in 27 days). We don't have anywhere near the number of members, or the activity, that this place does, but the amount of work behind the scenes is about the same I'd say. And, like this place, we went with the stock styles and a couple of non-stock ones. Then we (I) got stupid, and started customizing stuff and ... seven years down the road we find we can't upgrade to phpbb3 without a few hundred hours of work getting all the customizations to work with the new stuff.

Customization has its place, and it does look nice and allow you to have exactly what you want, but it's labor intensive to maintain.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:47 am

KJ4VOV wrote:Creating a style for phpbb isn't all that difficult. Keeping it current and functional as phpbb updates and evolves, that's where it gets difficult. Keeping it current and functional as phpbb updates and evolves, and as modules are added, removed, tested, improved and updated, that's pretty much a full-time job. I know, because that's been my job on my own forums for just as long as this place has been around (mine turns 10 years old in 27 days). We don't have anywhere near the number of members, or the activity, that this place does, but the amount of work behind the scenes is about the same I'd say. And, like this place, we went with the stock styles and a couple of non-stock ones. Then we (I) got stupid, and started customizing stuff and ... seven years down the road we find we can't upgrade to phpbb3 without a few hundred hours of work getting all the customizations to work with the new stuff.

Customization has its place, and it does look nice and allow you to have exactly what you want, but it's labor intensive to maintain.
A very upgrade unfriendly process, then. Using standard styles simplifies the process. Gotcha.

ZS is still awesome.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by shrapnel » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:48 pm

ineffableone wrote:Looks like Dirty Board will be the top choice, but then I sort of guessed it would be when I first saw it. It does sort of fit the site. Still lots of votes for other good choices. I am excited to eventually get the new styles. It will be like an early x-mas present. :clap:

We are adding 10 new styles. So I figured I'd give everyone ten votes, we'll pick the top ten, and I'll flip a coin to pick between ties, I guess, unless anyone else has a better idea.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:26 pm

shrapnel wrote:We are adding 10 new styles. So I figured I'd give everyone ten votes, we'll pick the top ten, and I'll flip a coin to pick between ties, I guess, unless anyone else has a better idea.
Sounds good to me, and 10 new styles should give plenty of options for different tastes.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:30 pm

zommoz10 wrote:The styles that are hardest to read have the most amount of votes.
Those are first in the list because when we were asking people which boards we should include for a vote, they were the two most popular - asked to be included time and time again. For the average reader, the contrast is sufficient on those boards. If you are the type of person who requires a more extreme contrast, those are not the styles for you. Vote for some that provide a better contrast. I'm sure with ten styles added, there will be at least one that meets that need.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:29 pm

Anianna wrote: I'm sure with ten styles added, there will be at least one that meets that need.
As long as some of those ten take advantage of a full width screen unlike the one at the top of the list.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:32 pm

I am surprised there are only 207 votes at this point.

I would think more people on ZS would want to get their say in on what display styles get chosen. With only 2 days left, hope more people come vote so they can feel included.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:34 pm

ineffableone wrote:I am surprised there are only 207 votes at this point.

I would think more people on ZS would want to get their say in on what display styles get chosen. With only 2 days left, hope more people come vote so they can feel included.
Don't forget, the default styles are staying, so if you're like me, and you're happy with just one of the defaults, no need to vote. This poll is just for choosing styles in addition to the defaults.

Return to “Ask ZS”