Pack a tin of dog food in your car kit

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Pack a tin of dog food in your car kit

Post by prepper7 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:02 pm

According to a Popular Mechanics article The Ultimate Survival Preparedness Kit for Your Car, Canadian Arctic rescue teams suggest drivers carry a can of dog food in their cars.
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

Alpha_Zombie

Re: Pack a tin of dog food in your car kit

Post by Alpha_Zombie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Thats some of the dumbest shit i ever heard of. They be trollin hard.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:45 pm

So the OP's link explains it like this:
Canadian Arctic rescue teams suggest drivers carry a can of dog food in their cars. Sound crazy? It seems that when people crash their cars into a snow bank on the tundra, they tend to eat their emergency food too soon. The dog food is less palatable and so stranded motorists will wait to eat that can of puppy chow until they really need it.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:27 pm

The other nine pages in the link are better advice.

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:So the OP's link explains it like this:
Canadian Arctic rescue teams suggest drivers carry a can of dog food in their cars. Sound crazy? It seems that when people crash their cars into a snow bank on the tundra, they tend to eat their emergency food too soon. The dog food is less palatable and so stranded motorists will wait to eat that can of puppy chow until they really need it.
And by that logic, you might as well bring a dog instead of the dog food... :roll:
Canada, eh?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:04 pm

Or, now this might sound crazy so bear with me....

Ration your emergency food. Also, instead of packing puppychow, maybe pack, oh I don't know... more emergency food?
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

RAKKASAN SNIPER
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead

Post by RAKKASAN SNIPER » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:06 pm

you could pack proper food and exercise some discipline. that being said I do carry several cans of dog food in my truck, for my dog.

Burncycle

Post by Burncycle » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:51 am

The advice isn't that bad, and although I don't personally it's not the first time I've heard of people doing it.

The FDA regulates dog food and it's perfectly digestible. If you have trouble keeping yourself from raiding those MRE crackers and cheese it's certainly an option ;)

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:12 am

My mother still tells the story of catching me,as a 2 yr old,eating out of the dog's bowl.
I'm still kicking 60 years later. HAHAHA.
2 of my dogs often ride with me,so I do keep some food for them in the truck,although it's dry food.
I would have no compunctions about eating it

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:20 am

Compressed ship's biscuits = dwarf bread

So horribly bad I always keep some spare and they never get eaten
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

Norcalbowhunter

Post by Norcalbowhunter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:51 am

I don't know why all the hate on eating dog food. Okay so maybe the advice wasn't the BEST out there, but dog food is edible for humans... Sad to say this but one day I decided to try some of my dog's food. It was the dry kind that had moist chunks in it. It actually tasted just like beef jerk and never made me sick.

I don't make it a habit to eat dog food, but I have. I could see people eating dog food in a PAW setting. It has enough nutrients to keep them alive.
Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked
- Psalm 82:4

Fu Shen
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '78
DotD '84
Shaun of the Dead
Night of the Living Dorks
Among others

Post by Fu Shen » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:33 am

And here I thought it was so you'd have something to give the doggies when they come to get you.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:53 pm

Ok, so I get what point the original article is making, but there are much better choices out there. Self control for one. More food for another. Maybe some sort of ration that isn't very palatable, but still "people food".

I have a pretty "iron stomach", I can handle just about anything. On the flipside, I know people that have incredibly sensitive stomachs, and would most likely immediately throw up the dog food after a bite or too, regardless if it is and safe to eat.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Norcalbowhunter wrote:I don't know why all the hate on eating dog food. Okay so maybe the advice wasn't the BEST out there, but dog food is edible for humans... Sad to say this but one day I decided to try some of my dog's food. It was the dry kind that had moist chunks in it. It actually tasted just like beef jerk and never made me sick.

I don't make it a habit to eat dog food, but I have. I could see people eating dog food in a PAW setting. It has enough nutrients to keep them alive.
It's not "hate" for me. I just figure I can pack human food in a space instead of dog food

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm pretty sure I have some dog food in my emergency gear in the truck……oh wait thats a beef stew mre.
ZS#4545

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:03 pm

cricketdave wrote:I'm pretty sure I have some dog food in my emergency gear in the truck……oh wait thats a beef stew mre.
Old beef stew or new beef stew? The new stuff is pretty easily on par with Campbells. The old stuff...I'd prefer fresh possum.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:07 pm

Its one of the older ones thats why its in the car kit. The new ones are much better. I'd rather eat alpo from a can than dinty more though.
ZS#4545

Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Assault Life wrote:instead of packing puppychow, maybe pack, oh I don't know... more emergency food?
This. I only have trail mix and granola bars right now but I don't venture far from home.

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:12 pm

Fu Shen wrote:And here I thought it was so you'd have something to give the doggies when they come to get you.
I was thinking the same thing.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:16 pm

My neighbor tells me a story about "back in the day" when his wife used to be a raging bey00000tch. Him and his buddy came home from fishing late one night and she locked them out of the house. He yelled through the door that they were starving, so she threw 2 cans of dog food out into the garage. The went and sat in the boat on the trailer in the driveway, drank beer and ate dog food and passed out. He said it really wasn't that bad.
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

Norcalbowhunter

Post by Norcalbowhunter » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:41 pm

gundogs wrote:
Norcalbowhunter wrote:I don't know why all the hate on eating dog food. Okay so maybe the advice wasn't the BEST out there, but dog food is edible for humans... Sad to say this but one day I decided to try some of my dog's food. It was the dry kind that had moist chunks in it. It actually tasted just like beef jerk and never made me sick.

It's not "hate" for me. I just figure I can pack human food in a space instead of dog food

That is understandable and makes sense. I do understand why they suggested it though. Since most people will generally be stupid and eat their food without rationing it. When it comes to dog food though, they will probably wait till they are starving a week later before touching it.

I do agree though, just pack some human food and have some control and will power to make it last you a while. I have a dog though so I pack Dog food anyways and sadly if it came to it, I would eat it XD
Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked
- Psalm 82:4

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:44 pm

My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”