MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

medic photog
* * *
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: PA
Contact:

MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by medic photog » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:43 am

Just stumbled across a lot of info from several forums and groups including the CDC concerning the "new" threat for the year, MERS coronavirus. Anyone's take on this?

Emergency Fema Region 3 Alert!!!
FEMA Region III: DC, DE, MD, PA, VA, WV
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:43 AM
Subject: National update from Sheldon: Senator Sheldon R. Songstad, Ret. of South Dakota State

A few nights ago Donald Trump was with Greta on Fox News. He told her something BIG was going to happen, most likely starting the first week of October. He could say NOTHING ELSE at this time.
HERE IS WHAT WHAT THE SENATORS NATIONAL PREPAREDNESS RESEARCH TURNED UP…

FEMA purchase orders for over $14.2 million for MREs and heater meals to be delivered to Region III by October 1st.
FEMA purchase orders for 22 million pouches of emergency water to be delivered to region III by October 1st.
FEMA purchase orders for $13.6 million for MREs and heater meals to be delivered to Austin by October 1st.

Nine-week training course for UN Peacekeepers in CONUS to learn Urban Warfare, English, and US weapons systems beginning 4th week of July for 386,000 troops to be completed by October 1st.
$11 million in antibiotics to be delivered to FEMA region III by October 1st ordered by CDC.

World Health Organization held second emergency meeting in its history to discuss MERS Coronavirus. Determined a vaccine MUST be in place by October 1st.

2800 MRAPs must be delivered to DHS by October 1st.
No leave will be allowed for US military from September 28th thru November 5th. NORCOMM yearly training for civil unrest suspended until September 27th. To be performed in northeast coastal areas.
Date for release of QE3 report moved to October 16th.

http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/mers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://emergency.cdc.gov/HAN/han00352.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like another fun filled flu season for me.

hawk55732
* *
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:24 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead and City of the Dead

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by hawk55732 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:08 am

I can tell you that at least one thing in this list is false. I am going to be on leave during the time frame they say no military members will be on leave. So if that is false, what else is false in it?

Trippy
* *
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:34 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by Trippy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:21 am

IMO, this is a lot of unrelated meh. Because it's unrelated, it has to be broken down in list form:

Trump pulls that sort of stuff all the time, he has big, ground breaking information about something that is going to happen a few months from now, but he can't tell us anything more, yet. He's like a want to be Nostradamus, and makes loads of money being a showman.

FEMA orders for Region III break down to $0.47 per person in food and .73 water pouches per person.* CDC antibiotics adds up to $0.36. If they are planing on a real region wide disaster, that is horrible stockpiling.

UN training: You have to do your training somewhere.

I'm pretty sure the MRAP thing has been argued to death on here somewhere, but there are almost 18,000 police departments in the US. 2800 surplus MRAPs doesn't go very far when spread out that far.

Everything about MERS: MERS is new. The first case was in September, but it didn't really spread until this spring. I personally want health experts to study a disease that has a 49% mortality rate. Also, the CDC stockpiling antibiotics is not related to this. Antibiotics won't touch the MERS virus.

_________
*Population for DC, DE, MD, PA, VA, and WV is 30,238,793. from Wikipedia.

User avatar
Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2691
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:37 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by Boondock » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:23 am

There's a lot in that "memo" that doesn't sound legit. Not gonna panic, yet, but thanks for the update.

medic photog
* * *
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by medic photog » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:44 am

My driver came into the station last night and forwarded me the Trump thing as he was worried. I looked into it a bit and figured it was the new and improved flu for the season and the FEMA/HS stuff was just icing on the cake. The can piss money away quicker than most departments. I can't seem to find much else on the virus, just what CDC has and it isn't much really but I'm sure if they wanted top make an "issue" of it they can.

User avatar
Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 3072
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:35 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:02 am

Sounds like "RWNJ" propaganda to me...


Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

User avatar
Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2691
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:37 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by Boondock » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:34 am

medic photog wrote:I can't seem to find much else on the virus, just what CDC has and it isn't much really ...
It's been all over the web for months, including this forum. Looking at the "memo" again, I read: Stockpiles of rations, foreign troops on U.S. soil, civil disturbance, vaccine in place--sounds more like a movie. This virus and the reaction to it is worth keeping tabs on, however.

User avatar
whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Posts: 8187
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:34 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.
Location: Monterey Bay, California

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Sounds like "RWNJ" propaganda to me...


Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems
Congratulations! You've won yourself 2 weeks probation for continued use of politics despite repeated warnings, both official and unofficial, not to!
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

User avatar
Mikeyboy
* * * * *
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 am

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:00 pm

medic photog wrote:Just stumbled across a lot of info from several forums and groups including the CDC concerning the "new" threat for the year, MERS coronavirus. Anyone's take on this?

Emergency Fema Region 3 Alert!!!
FEMA Region III: DC, DE, MD, PA, VA, WV
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:43 AM
Subject: National update from Sheldon: Senator Sheldon R. Songstad, Ret. of South Dakota State

A few nights ago Donald Trump was with Greta on Fox News. He told her something BIG was going to happen, most likely starting the first week of October. He could say NOTHING ELSE at this time.
HERE IS WHAT WHAT THE SENATORS NATIONAL PREPAREDNESS RESEARCH TURNED UP…

FEMA purchase orders for over $14.2 million for MREs and heater meals to be delivered to Region III by October 1st.
FEMA purchase orders for 22 million pouches of emergency water to be delivered to region III by October 1st.
FEMA purchase orders for $13.6 million for MREs and heater meals to be delivered to Austin by October 1st.

Nine-week training course for UN Peacekeepers in CONUS to learn Urban Warfare, English, and US weapons systems beginning 4th week of July for 386,000 troops to be completed by October 1st.
$11 million in antibiotics to be delivered to FEMA region III by October 1st ordered by CDC.

World Health Organization held second emergency meeting in its history to discuss MERS Coronavirus. Determined a vaccine MUST be in place by October 1st.

2800 MRAPs must be delivered to DHS by October 1st.
No leave will be allowed for US military from September 28th thru November 5th. NORCOMM yearly training for civil unrest suspended until September 27th. To be performed in northeast coastal areas.
Date for release of QE3 report moved to October 16th.

http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/mers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://emergency.cdc.gov/HAN/han00352.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like another fun filled flu season for me.
I live in FEMA Region III, and I know TONS of people in the medical community and government emergency services in PA,NJ & DE and I have not heard boo about any of this. Also the CDC and WHO has nothing crazy on their web sites, just old news and changing of guidelines.

Beware of any "Big Announcements" coming from Donald Trump in September & October when the networks are starting their fall lineup and negotiating mid season and summer shows. Remember his last big public announcement about running for President fell apart and turn out to be all a scam to drum up support for his Apprentice TV show.

BigDaddyTX
* * * * *
Posts: 1998
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:50 pm
Location: Greater Clear Lake Area, Texas

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by BigDaddyTX » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:29 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:
Dawgboy wrote:Sounds like "RWNJ" propaganda to me...


Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems
Congratulations! You've won yourself 2 weeks probation for continued use of politics despite repeated warnings, both official and unofficial, not to!
I was trying to figure out what Real W? of New Jersey had to do with this. Someone kill me now.
Image
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:11 pm

BigDaddyTX wrote:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote:
Dawgboy wrote:Sounds like "RWNJ" propaganda to me...


Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems
Congratulations! You've won yourself 2 weeks probation for continued use of politics despite repeated warnings, both official and unofficial, not to!
I was trying to figure out what Real W? of New Jersey had to do with this. Someone kill me now.
Real Werewolves of New Jersey. It's long been known that the werewolves disseminate false information ever since their alliance with the Lich King.


OT, it -does- seem like a bunch of BS all together like that. Ever see a strip of photos with "facts" next to each photo on FB? More often than not, they show a series of well-known facts, and then slip in a few lies. Surrounding the lies with facts makes you less likely to question the lies.

For instance, the US is one of the sponsoring members of the UN. We do a lot to support it, and have used US soil as training grounds for peacekeepers in the past. That's nothing new. Off the top of my head, there's a slew of first world nations that do, because we really don't want to leave Somalia to train UN peacekeepers.

Everything that has to be done by 1 Oct 2013 looks pretty scary, right? I mean all of it on that same date? Except that October 1st is the end/beginning of the fiscal year for the federal government. Here's a dirty secret about budgeting: if you get $1million dollars for FY2013, and you don't spend that $1million by 1OCT2013 then you're likely going to lose some of your budget to another department in need. THerefore, when you order something for FY2013 you ABSOLUTELY want it delivered before the close of FY2013.

If you don't believe me, or you think this is all just too much coincidence, do your research. I'm right about the fiscal years, and I'll send $100 to ZS if someone can show me that the CDC and FEMA doesn't normally fill out annual orders with "NLT 1OCT[FY]" on the condition that you first register your $100-to-ZS bet in this thread, and then post your findings from neutral and reliable sources, meaning non-political non-news non-fringe sites.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Das Sheep
* * * *
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by Das Sheep » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Here is the video that talks about all this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFc55O9GJaA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Copy and paste of my thoughts on this from another prepper forum:

When ever I see a video like this I have to ask:

How do they know this.

When ever I hear its from an 'inside source' I ask: Why would this source share this with them, and why have all these 'inside sources' been wrong before?

Doom Porn is addictive.

Always ask: Do you believe this because it seems plausible and comes from a trusted source or is proven with evidence, or do you believe it because deep down you sort of want it, no matter how dark, to be true?

Edit: Sometimes there are grains of truth inside Doom Porn. There are other sources reporting FEMA ordering lots of food.

On the other hand the video decides to mention that they are buying AntiBIOTICS and that they are afraid of the MERS VIRUS.

Antibiotics are effective against virus's as gas is at putting out fires.

Also the leave info on military personnel is bogus. I have approved leave for mid October.

Other note:

For the military and .Gov the fiscal year begins on October 1st. If you have money left over for the fiscal year, you MUST spend it before October 1st or you loose it and the next year you get less money. So FEMA buying lots of stuff to be delivered by October 1st makes sense because they want to spend their money before they loose it. Typically you spend all your 'In case' money at the end of the year on stuff like new chairs, office supplies, new paint, etc that was not strictly needed but could use upgrading. Maybe FEMA used up most of their MRE's and water last year during Hurricane Sandy and are buying more with their end of the year money? That would explain why, if the video is right, the FEMA group around New England is buying them. Just a thought.

User avatar
Browning 35
BANNED
Posts: 4698
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:47 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man
Location: Texas

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:59 pm

Trippy wrote:Trump pulls that sort of stuff all the time, he has big, ground breaking information about something that is going to happen a few months from now, but he can't tell us anything more, yet. He's like a want to be Nostradamus, and makes loads of money being a showman.
True.
FEMA orders for Region III break down to $0.47 per person in food and .73 water pouches per person.* CDC antibiotics adds up to $0.36. If they are planing on a real region wide disaster, that is horrible stockpiling.
The MRE's and water may or may not be for civilians.
UN training: You have to do your training somewhere.
Also true, but the English language requirement combined with the urban warfare training is a bit hinky.

Could just be because English is the closest thing there is to an international language. UN guys have to communicate too.
I'm pretty sure the MRAP thing has been argued to death on here somewhere, but there are almost 18,000 police departments in the US. 2800 surplus MRAPs doesn't go very far when spread out that far.
Deployed in the largest hundred US cities that's 28 per city. Used effectively and combined with all the APC's and other armor laying around the US that's pretty significant.
Everything about MERS: MERS is new. The first case was in September, but it didn't really spread until this spring. I personally want health experts to study a disease that has a 49% mortality rate.
Actually I believe it's a 59% mortality rate.
Also, the CDC stockpiling antibiotics is not related to this. Antibiotics won't touch the MERS virus.
MERS is a virus and antibiotics are ineffective on virus's.

From what I understand MERS has gotten it's start among people who already have other pre-existing health issues (Diabetes and End Stage Renal), maybe the antibiotics are for the infections that might accompany MERS.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/family-cl ... 1C10120193

Given the double digit infection rate (94 was the last number I heard worldwide) and the fact there are no known cases in the US I'm not going to worry about this much, especially since Camels may be source of MERS virus transmission (*Click*)
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Browning 35 wrote:
FEMA orders for Region III break down to $0.47 per person in food and .73 water pouches per person.* CDC antibiotics adds up to $0.36. If they are planing on a real region wide disaster, that is horrible stockpiling.
The MRE's and water may or may not be for civilians.
No, if it's being purchased by FEMA it's for civilians. DOD purchases its meals and water on their own budget. Only exceptions might be if FEMA makes some purchases for NG units to distribute for aid, but those NG units get their own funding for chow and water. Everyone else is a civilian.
UN training: You have to do your training somewhere.
Also true, but the English language requirement combined with the urban warfare training is a bit hinky.

Could just be because English is the closest thing there is to an international language. UN guys have to communicate too.
It really is. Most NATO militaries make a point of having Anglophones, and it's one of the most widely spoken (at least geographically) languages. In many third-world countries, you'll find more peopel who speak English in addition to their native tongue than who speak their local dialect in addition to a more common regional or national dialect. It's the official language of the most countries and is (IIRC) one of the top three msot spoekn languages in the world thanks to the British empire and American trade empire.
I'm pretty sure the MRAP thing has been argued to death on here somewhere, but there are almost 18,000 police departments in the US. 2800 surplus MRAPs doesn't go very far when spread out that far.
Deployed in the largest hundred US cities that's 28 per city. Used effectively and combined with all the APC's and other armor laying around the US that's pretty significant.
Depends on the make. Most MRAPS can be converted to a sort of mobile command center, and with the right mods (M-ATV or the suspension/tire overhaul from Oshkosh) they can traverse quite a bit of terrain. Looking at Katrina and other disasters, an off-road capable armored command center to help with the collection and disemination of on-the-ground information as well as directing emergency units (police, EMS, volunteers) more effectively. NG has way more armor that can be used much more effectively if you want to be worried about armor on US soil.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Evan the Diplomat
* * * * *
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:48 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:25 pm

This is a classic "New World Order" fear mongering. These foreign UN peacekeepers are intended to carry out all the "bad acts " of the "NWO" to sieze guns, ration food, close churches, blah, blah, blah. They add the urban combat (MOUT) zinger to raise the fear factor that they will be taking over Washington or Baltimore.

Peace keepers are just that, peace keepers. They don't have a combat mandate. Look at Bosnia or Rwanda and you can see just how effective UN peace keepers are at keeping the peace. They are not.

A quick review of the news and U.S. State Department press briefing shows a policy shift away from U.N. peace keepers to regional military intervention by regional multilateral organizations such as the AU in Somalia or ECOWAS in Mali. Add to the fact that it is much more cost effective to train them in theater rather than fly them to Ft. Dix then fly them back.

Seriously, when did anyone on active duty see a battalion of Nepalese getting any kind of training at Ft. Bragg or Camp Lejeune?

The whole post is ham fisted BS to make people buy into some half baked conspiracy.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:This is a classic "New World Order" fear mongering. These foreign UN peacekeepers are intended to carry out all the "bad acts " of the "NWO" to sieze guns, ration food, close churches, blah, blah, blah. They add the urban combat (MOUT) zinger to raise the fear factor that they will be taking over Washington or Baltimore.

Peace keepers are just that, peace keepers. They don't have a combat mandate. Look at Bosnia or Rwanda and you can see just how effective UN peace keepers are at keeping the peace. They are not.

A quick review of the news and U.S. State Department press briefing shows a policy shift away from U.N. peace keepers to regional military intervention by regional multilateral organizations such as the AU in Somalia or ECOWAS in Mali. Add to the fact that it is much more cost effective to train them in theater rather than fly them to Ft. Dix then fly them back.

Seriously, when did anyone on active duty see a battalion of Nepalese getting any kind of training at Ft. Bragg or Camp Lejeune?

The whole post is ham fisted BS to make people buy into some half baked conspiracy.
We pretty frequently trained with or adjacent to NATO, SEATO, and UN forces at several military trainign facilities. Dutch, Belgian, Romanian, Korean, Australian, British, Georgian, and a couple other southeast Asian militaries I didn't recognize, as well as the occasional Blue Helmets (usually officer corps from what I could tell) cross training on US soil.

Most of the third world militaries come train with first world militaries because their own training is terrible, and we work towards common goals internationally. UN members also share the responsibility and cost of peacekeeping missions. That includes providing manpower, equipment, funding, and training facilities.

ETA: not to say that it isn't gutless fearmongering to pull a Glenn Beck and go "Well what other explanation could this have!?" Just trying to expand the understanding of readers who can be tricked by a lack of understanding of how modern military forces train and co-operate.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Evan the Diplomat
* * * * *
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:48 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: We pretty frequently trained with or adjacent to NATO, SEATO, and UN forces at several military trainign facilities. Dutch, Belgian, Romanian, Korean, Australian, British, Georgian, and a couple other southeast Asian militaries I didn't recognize, as well as the occasional Blue Helmets (usually officer corps from what I could tell) cross training on US soil.

Most of the third world militaries come train with first world militaries because their own training is terrible, and we work towards common goals internationally. UN members also share the responsibility and cost of peacekeeping missions. That includes providing manpower, equipment, funding, and training facilities.

ETA: not to say that it isn't gutless fearmongering to pull a Glenn Beck and go "Well what other explanation could this have!?" Just trying to expand the understanding of readers who can be tricked by a lack of understanding of how modern military forces train and co-operate.
I've done my share of joint training with Allies when I was on active duty, and I will grant you that naval units (ships) are rarely called into peacekeeping. However, your own post indicated that this is joint training with NATO, NATO aspirationals (Georgia) SEATO (all perfectly rational and in keeping with our defense interests and obligations) and the occasional Blue Helmets (officer corps). The bottom line is we are not running battalions of blue berets through combat training, I think we both agree that the report in the OP is just a bunch of hokum.

Considering the damage the Nepalese did in Haiti (their piss poor camp sanitation caused the Cholera outbreak) the biggest bang for our training dollar might be in teaching developing world military forces how to burn turds.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

medic photog
* * *
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by medic photog » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Glad to see it's all a bunch of hype. I dug around, didn't find much that concerned me but figured some here could probably do a better job of digging up factual info on the whole thing. One thing I'm going to do for sure this year is buy more Vionex to carry on the rig. I think it works better that the water-less alcohol stuff we get supplied with. Besides, it leaves my hands softer and not looking like zombie claws after a shift in and out of many pairs of gloves.

User avatar
raxar
* * *
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Amish country, PA

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by raxar » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:44 pm

it would explain why those guys in chem suits were walking around the neighborhood asking everyone how many body bags their family would need.

Nice fellas though, one of them gave me a free super vitamin shot.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

User avatar
duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2951
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by duodecima » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Uh, yeah, of COURSE I'm keeping an eye on MERS, emerging diseases are always worth the eyeball, especially with the initial mortality rates this one has.

The rest of it - yeah, not so much, since it's not actually connected.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

User avatar
DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2767
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:00 pm
Location: Indiana's Southern Coast

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by DannusMaximus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:05 pm

So, according to the CDC link there have been 47 deaths (worldwide) caused by this bug in the last year and a half.

The phrase 'statistically insignificant' comes to mind as far asthis being something to worry about.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Trippy
* *
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:34 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by Trippy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:16 pm

duodecima wrote:...especially with the initial mortality rates this one has...
I'm sure mortality rates for MERS will go down dramatically if/when this spreads more. Only the severe cases go the the hospital, so only those who are in really bad shape to begin with are counted in the statistics. Seeing that most people with flu like symptoms just stay home and rest, or go to a doctor and are told 'yup, you have the flu', there could be thousands of people with the disease, but so far only 96 people have been diagnosed with MERS-CoV, and 47 of them have died.*

Of course I could be wrong and we're all screwed. I'm basing my theory on the start of the H1N1 pandemic, when there was a similarly high mortality rate for the first few weeks. Once more sick people were properly diagnosed, the morality rate dropped.

____
* http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/mers/faq.html as of 8/21. The number has changed a bit since this thread started.

feedthedog
* * * *
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by feedthedog » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:21 pm

You guys realize that we suck at being fear mongering survivalist types, right? This would have been a fantastic excuse to max out our credit cards buying guns...

User avatar
duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2951
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Re: MERS coronavirus anybody following this?

Post by duodecima » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:34 pm

feedthedog wrote:You guys realize that we suck at being fear mongering survivalist types, right? This would have been a fantastic excuse to max out our credit cards buying guns...
:awesome: QOTD :mrgreen:
Trippy wrote:
duodecima wrote:...especially with the initial mortality rates this one has...
I'm sure mortality rates for MERS will go down dramatically if/when this spreads more. Only the severe cases go the the hospital, so only those who are in really bad shape to begin with are counted in the statistics. Seeing that most people with flu like symptoms just stay home and rest, or go to a doctor and are told 'yup, you have the flu', there could be thousands of people with the disease, but so far only 96 people have been diagnosed with MERS-CoV, and 47 of them have died.*

Of course I could be wrong and we're all screwed. I'm basing my theory on the start of the H1N1 pandemic, when there was a similarly high mortality rate for the first few weeks. Once more sick people were properly diagnosed, the morality rate dropped.
Oh, I totally agree. (I have a clear memory of my anxiety level the first week of H1N1 before that got sorted.) The problem is that there's no validated serologic test (blood test to tell if somebody has been exposed to and developed immune defenses against MERS), so it's not currently possible to define how many people might have asymptomatic cases and not even get sick enough to remember. Also, I can't find any data on the number of tested people (all of whom would be reasonably hi risk to have been exposed) who did NOT test positive for the actual virus (which is apparently a bit of a technical pain to test for, unfortunately.) I did figure out, finally, that in one cluster the disease (morbidity) rate for household contacts was about 2.3% and for health care workers it was 1% - which is fairly reassuring.

I should have mentioned that I see patients who routinely travel overseas, including a substantial minority to and from the Middle East, so I need to keep an eye on this thing on a professional level as well. But I keep an eye on all the lovely flu strains as well, not to mention measles...
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Post Reply

Return to “First Aid”