Home made armor plates

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jehicks87

Home made armor plates

Post by jehicks87 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:32 am

I know a recipe that a friend of mine stumbled on to make home-made body armor plate inserts. Mods, is this legal to discuss here? And has anyone else done something like this before?

Supposedly, this recipe can stop two hits from a .308, and indefinite fire from 9mm hard ball. I plan on making a few batches sometime in the near future, I just wanted to gauge interest on the boards for something like this. If there is enough interest, and if we are allowed to discuss things like this, I'd be happy to do a write-up.
My Youtube Channel... please visit, like, and subscribe! http://www.youtube.com/user/JHP762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
civvie wrote:By purchasing fewer things you can afford better things.
NCO to me: "I'll give you a hint... it rhymes with 'no'."
Me to NCO: "F'sho? It's f'sho, isn't it?"

All I smell is Gin, and Smoke, and Lies...

Grimstad
Favorite Zombie Movies: Children shouldn't play with dead things
Location: Seattle, Washington .......... ,.................Left Wing Gun Nut

Re: Home made armor plates

Post by Grimstad » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:52 am

Hmm. I see about 30 people waiting with bated breath.
"Yeah, but she's our witch, so cut her the hell down." - Malcolm Reynolds

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:28 am

As long as it does not involve illegal activity, and body armor is not illegal, post away.

I would post a huge disclaimer about not trying it out by shooting your buddy with a .308 :lol:
WWSD?

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:49 am

jehicks87 wrote:I know a recipe that a friend of mine stumbled on to make home-made body armor plate inserts. Mods, is this legal to discuss here? And has anyone else done something like this before?

Supposedly, this recipe can stop two hits from a .308, and indefinite fire from 9mm hard ball. I plan on making a few batches sometime in the near future, I just wanted to gauge interest on the boards for something like this. If there is enough interest, and if we are allowed to discuss things like this, I'd be happy to do a write-up.
Unless it involves breaking the law, manufacture away, go all Ned Kelly.

Tin Head Ned is one of the ones who did it before:

Of course, he was breaking the law, but not by making armour.

For the Cost and reliability issues though, I would think buying armour, rather than bodging it your self, is the way to go. For fun and entertainment and possible SHTF skills, this will hopefully be an entertaining thread though. I look forward to seeing any efforts you make in DIY body protection.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 am

Well now I'm curious on how it works.
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

Terminus est

Post by Terminus est » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Steel plate with a rubber backing wrapped up in a thick tight weave of nylon ?
Works but not very pretty :lol:
There is no .45 VS 9mm thread that cannot be ended by a .22 to the forehead.

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:53 pm

My last job i worked in fiberglass composites. Some of the stuff we made i know could stop a .308 easily and still remain relatively light. The resin, filler and woven fiberglass material layered to about a 1/4" was strong enough you could hit it as hard as you can with a ball peen hammer and not even scratch it.

If you ever seen a New York subway car, the cab and cab end i made it. It may not stop a .308 but the materials used can make it bullet proof.

Lex1785
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later. Dawn of the Dead.

Post by Lex1785 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:09 pm

I'd definitely be interested if nothing else to build some and test them at work.
The Hooba Dooba broke, my blog from tactical to nonsense.

- Size doesn't matter. Its all about shot placement. -

Semper Fi.

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:10 pm

I remember something years ago about someone doing home expediant armor with steel belted tires.
Beretta accept no substitute.

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Home made armor just seems like..... a bad idea....

If you're just doing it for the fun of it then more power to you. Just as long as you don't test it by you, or anyone else, wearing it while being shot at :wink: . It'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Big B wrote:Home made armor just seems like..... a bad idea....
Not everyone gets a care package from Mandalore either.

:wink:

-urban
Last edited by URBAN ASSAULT on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:29 pm

I'd like to see!

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:11 am

If you're testing, watermelons are your friend. My next concern would be spalling/bullet fragments after they strike the plate. For a possible T&E setup, I figure you could place the watermelon behind the armor and place a series of balloons or something somewhat in front of it a foot or two out, but not in the direct line of sight of the shot to see if any bullet fragments fly out and make a hazard. That being said, I'd trust professionally manufactured armor with my life first.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:34 am

I've always had a thing for homemade armor as a science/curiosity thing- would be very interested to see it!
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:58 am

Interesting.... continue.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:59 am

Armor? What, now Zombie's can shoot back? Whoa! I'm just learning this now? This changes things...
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:48 am

Having made and worn armor to fight in, anything lighter would be better than steel. And, if you can get it thinner than the 'Nam era frag vest I wore, that would be cool, too. I'm just skeptical about a "home brew" method for armor someone is presumably going to be shooting at. Skeptical, but more than willing to be convinced!

youtube your tests (you can embed them on forum posts), and lets see some tests and DIY videos. Just, you know, don't put any real people in the armor for the tests until well after it's been proven, and then, only to show wear-ability- don't go shooting your buddy as a demo (I don't care HOW hot his wife is) :lol: I'd also like to see a camp axe/hatchet chopped against this stuff, since you mentioned a ball peen hammer. An edged impact is another sort of thing from a soft projectile at high speed focused on a small point.

It sounds like a rigid form of armor, like the old plate armor of yore. The problem with plate is coverage vs mobility. In order to retain coverage, I couldn't even fold my arms in front of me while wearing my 12ga. steel breastplate. The problem with dressing yourself up to be armored like a Sherman tank, is that you become as graceful as one.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

survivaljoe
Favorite Zombie Movies: All!!

Post by survivaljoe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:11 am

Looking forward to the write up!
...It's been a while...

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:38 am

I am also interested. Learning valuable knowledge from this forum.

jehicks87

Post by jehicks87 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:24 pm

Cool, nice to know there is so much interest on the forums. I'll post a write-up when I do this.

The rundown is basically:

Tightly woven Cotton Sheets (I would like to say I assume kevlar or the like would be more effective, but I don't have the money to try it out), with fiberglass resin on top of a standard 1/2" thick teflon cutting board. 10+ layers of resin-impregnated bedsheet material, alternating weave, wrapped around the edges of the cutting board. The sheets slow and deform the bullet enough to allow the board to deform and absorb the energy. From my buddy's experiments, it can take two shots of .308 in the same area, third shot will pass through. Stops 9mm indefinitely. Not sure about 7.62x54r, .223, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, or 7.62x25. Those are the rounds I'm interested in trying.
My Youtube Channel... please visit, like, and subscribe! http://www.youtube.com/user/JHP762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
civvie wrote:By purchasing fewer things you can afford better things.
NCO to me: "I'll give you a hint... it rhymes with 'no'."
Me to NCO: "F'sho? It's f'sho, isn't it?"

All I smell is Gin, and Smoke, and Lies...

HMPlatinum

Post by HMPlatinum » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Very interesting.
- Sent via two rabid squirrels and a large slingshot (please catch and return the squirrels...they're special)

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:33 pm

jehicks87 wrote:Cool, nice to know there is so much interest on the forums. I'll post a write-up when I do this.

The rundown is basically:

Tightly woven Cotton Sheets (I would like to say I assume kevlar or the like would be more effective, but I don't have the money to try it out), with fiberglass resin on top of a standard 1/2" thick teflon cutting board. 10+ layers of resin-impregnated bedsheet material, alternating weave, wrapped around the edges of the cutting board. The sheets slow and deform the bullet enough to allow the board to deform and absorb the energy. From my buddy's experiments, it can take two shots of .308 in the same area, third shot will pass through. Stops 9mm indefinitely. Not sure about 7.62x54r, .223, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, or 7.62x25. Those are the rounds I'm interested in trying.
This sounds a bit bulky, but not any worse than the frag vest, and that wasn't bullet proof. Well, not by intent, anyway. Another ZS'er did a test on the frag vest, and found it stopped .22LR, and 9mm, and I think a few other calibers, but they were all pistol calibers. I'd love to see this tested against a series of rifle rounds, like 5.56/.223, 7.62 in all it's varieties, and some hunting rifle calibers, as I see those being the most likely I'd be faced with. MY intent is to avoid needing anything like this. THEIR intent, I can't be sure of.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

survivaljoe
Favorite Zombie Movies: All!!

Post by survivaljoe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:15 am

While I wouldn't try wearing this, I would definitely try it on a BOV. Awaiting more details.
...It's been a while...

Foxy

Post by Foxy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:47 am

Interesting post jehicks87. To be honest I'm a big DIY sort of person, of course when it comes to safety equipment I'm not as keen on the idea. However I just bought a TAG plate carrier, mostly so had something to strap my mag pounces to when I go to shoot (while i save up for some proper web gear).

Being strapped for cash and wanting to have plates that I can train with without having to fret about damage to my "gov issued serious business ceramic" this idea is very appealing!

I'm very dubious to the clams that cotton material would be able to stop a .308 even if laminated with resin and backed by a 1/2 cutting board. For my money I'd consider spending a little more and using fiberglass and resin witch is readily available and know to be used in ballistic armor panels.
http://www.armorco.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=237

In any case please post your results! If i get around to any testing myself I'll be sure to post it here :mrgreen:

Return to “Other Gear”