Help me decide.

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Morphace
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Help me decide.

Post by Morphace » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:28 pm

The wife has given me permission to use a portion of the tax return to purchase a hand gun. I’ve been doing a lot of looking and testing and I’ve narrowed down my handgun choice to one of the Springfield Armory XDs, in 9mm.

I was thinking of going with a 40, but my wife will be shooting this gun from time to time and when we get her, her own handgun it’ll be in 9mm. I’d much rather stock one caliber of ammo and there’s a really good chance my wife will also be getting a SA XD in the future.

So the question here is should I go with the XDM Compact 3.8” barrel, It has a short handle that takes a 13 round mag and comes with one extended 16 round mag? Or the XD Sub-Compact 3” barrel, short handle, same mag set up?

Both versions of the handgun come with an extended mag with grip extension. I’ve handled both types at length and both the short handled and the extended mag feel great in my hands.

The only real difference between the two is .8” of barrel, a few other minor pros/cons and a little bit of cost.

Other information:
I’ll be using this as my EDC.
I will be concealing this carry.
This will also be used as my primary home defense.
I do not have a CCW but I’ll be getting that before I get the handgun.
And here are some pics.

The XD Sub-Compact, 9mm with extended mag in the mag well.

The XDM Compact, 9mm with extended mag off to the right.
XboxLive: OctaynOne XboxLive Clan: C.U.R.S.E.D. [CRSD] http://c-u-r-s-e-d.darkbb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Help me decide.

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:06 pm

#2 but without the extended mag. Just because.

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:13 pm

Not trying to derail, but have you taken a hard look at the Glock 26? I wish that was the route I had taken.

What made you choose the XD?

Also, if it is also going to be an HD gun, I would recommend something like the XD compact. It has the subcompact grip with a 4" bbl.

Fake edit: It's only available in 45acp.

BTW, my primary carry is a Tactical XD40 and my wife carries the subcompact in the same caliber.

They are great guns, I just wish we had gone with Glocks and 9mms.
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

Belair56

Post by Belair56 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:22 pm

Check out the new Ruger SR9 9mm Wife might like it better.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:24 pm

The longer barrel. The grip is the hardest part to conceal, especially with an IWB or OWB holster.

ETA: the extended mag for the 3.8 XDm should be a 19 rounder.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Wrangler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Wrangler » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:40 pm

I have the regular service XDm 9mm and the XDm Compact. I love them both. If I could only have on it would be the subcompact. Best of both worlds and I don't see a loss of accuracy with the shorter barrel. The XDm Compact has the 13 rd short mag and the 19 rd full size. I would go with the XDm Compact it seems to be a better fit.
When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take along Samuel Colt...

BoxingGandhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BoxingGandhi » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:02 am

I have the 40 and 9mm XD in compact and 9mm in 4" barrel as well. I liked them a bit more than the Glocks. They felt better in my hand when shooting, it has the chambered round indicator, and with the grip and trigger safety it would be nearly impossible to accidentally discharge the weapon.

The XD's are easy to clean, accurate and amazingly reliable. The benefit of the 9mm over the 40 is the price of ammo. As long as you practice and hit what you are aiming at both rounds are quite effective.

I have a couple other types of handguns, but when I go to shoot and what I carry everyday is my XD. I like shooting it and I know it will always work.

I would choose the XD compact 9mm for cost and weight reasons and then practice, practice, practice.
Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito
-Virgil

doc66

Post by doc66 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:21 am

Go with the 9mm. In real world shootings with modern, well designed ammunition, the .40 does nothing that the 9mm won't do these days. The niche that the .40 used to hold over the 9mm is rapidly disintegrating as new bullet designs hit the market. The 9mm also shoots flatter over distance, so your 100 yard shots are easier.

Since you have already decided on the XD, go with the longer barrel.

I wish there was a way to talk you out of it though... when it was a $250 Croatian import, it was an inexpensive buy, now that Springfield has put it's label on it, it's less of a good buy and more of an anchor in the pocket book.
BoxingGandhi wrote:... with the grip and trigger safety it would be nearly impossible to accidentally discharge the weapon...
You really didn't say this, did you? Grip safeties, trigger safeties, thumb safeties, palm prints, voice activators, and voodoo have nothing to do with AD. The shooter and their dick grabbers have everything to do with it.
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:00 am

The xdsc9 is my edc. With the right holster, they are pretty concealable. I carry mine in a Bulldog belly band or a Com-Tac Spartan.13+1 and as reliable as the sunset, what's not to like? Of course, this coming from someone who calls themselves "SpringerFan", might be construed as a biased opinion. :wink:

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:05 am

Let the wife shoot the .40, she may find she likes it. My wife preferred .40 over the 9mm, so that's what she got.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:36 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:Let the wife shoot the .40, she may find she likes it. My wife preferred .40 over the 9mm, so that's what she got.
I've noticed that with a couple of womenz. They preferred the G23 over the G19 and Beretta 96 over the 92.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Shaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:41 pm

I LOVE my XD Sub Compact in 9mm...however, the XDm is even better (shot at a Springfield Armory day when they first came out).

For me, it would all depend on the price difference you find between the two.

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:54 pm

And the answer is... Glock 19! Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I'll be here all week...

Now what was your question? I've been CCW'ing a G35 Long Slide all week. Fuck short barrels.

Read doc66's post higher up the page. If you still want an XD, keep re-reading it till you buy a Glock.

He's only a professional. No reason to listen to him.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Morphace
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Morphace » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:37 am

Well thank you all for the information it has been very helpful. I will be getting the XDm Compact, for the 3.8" barrel. I will be staying with the 9MM. My wife has shot a few different calibers including 9, 40 and 45, she doesn't like the others. So I'm going to stay with what she's comfortable with, it keeps her happy and keeps her shooting. And Doc I get it, it's not a Glock, but I'm just not a Glock guy, never will be. Sorry. On the plus side it's not going to cost me the standard 619$ that it sells for in the store. More like 450$ ish. So I'm not to upset about the price.

Anyways again thanks for the help guys. I know I can always get some insightful answers from ZS.
XboxLive: OctaynOne XboxLive Clan: C.U.R.S.E.D. [CRSD] http://c-u-r-s-e-d.darkbb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shaper
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:18 am

Morphace wrote:Well thank you all for the information it has been very helpful. I will be getting the XDm Compact, for the 3.8" barrel. I will be staying with the 9MM. My wife has shot a few different calibers including 9, 40 and 45, she doesn't like the others. So I'm going to stay with what she's comfortable with, it keeps her happy and keeps her shooting. And Doc I get it, it's not a Glock, but I'm just not a Glock guy, never will be. Sorry. On the plus side it's not going to cost me the standard 619$ that it sells for in the store. More like 450$ ish. So I'm not to upset about the price.

Anyways again thanks for the help guys. I know I can always get some insightful answers from ZS.
$450 is an awesome price! You wanna buy me one too? :lol:

Enjoy the new piece! :mrgreen:

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Shaper wrote:$450 is an awesome price! You wanna buy me one too? :lol:

Enjoy the new piece! :mrgreen:
I agree!

(And I'll take 2, please :wink: )
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:11 pm

LOL, you guys can have them. They didn't make the cut when we were looking for a duty pistol, and they don't make the cut today. Even at $450 a piece.

Shaper
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:37 pm

doc66 wrote:LOL, you guys can have them. They didn't make the cut when we were looking for a duty pistol, and they don't make the cut today. Even at $450 a piece.
I want to argue this point....nah, never mind...I'm going to go put another couple thousand rounds of ammunition through my Springfield XD without a single failure instead...while I simultaneously give plenty of respect to Glock, it's owners, and its product. :wink:

Wrangler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Wrangler » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:21 pm

Shaper wrote:
doc66 wrote:LOL, you guys can have them. They didn't make the cut when we were looking for a duty pistol, and they don't make the cut today. Even at $450 a piece.
I want to argue this point....nah, never mind...I'm going to go put another couple thousand rounds of ammunition through my Springfield XD without a single failure instead...while I simultaneously give plenty of respect to Glock, it's owners, and its product. :wink:
My thoughts exactly.
When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take along Samuel Colt...

doc66

Post by doc66 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Hey, I shoot Sigs and 1911s!

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:05 pm

I know you already made your pick but my two cents.

Me personally I would never go with anything less than the standard duty size, you can conceal a full size pistol long as you dress correctly have a proper holster and belt. I always carry a full size pistol and you will not be able to spot it
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Phoenix David wrote:Me personally I would never go with anything less than the standard duty size, you can conceal a full size pistol long as you dress correctly have a proper holster and belt. I always carry a full size pistol and you will not be able to spot it
I'm starting to lean this way, after carrying the Long Slide G35 for more than a week now.

Summer may change my mind, we'll see.

Domino

Post by Domino » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:26 pm

Get a Glock 19 or 26...

Who needs 10 safeties on their guns?

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:34 pm

The 3.8" is a good choice. I had the XD40 until wifey bought a 9. For simplicity and interchangeability I traded for a 9. Sound thinking there. Plus you never know if she needs to pick up your gun.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Return to “Handguns”