ZS SHTF sidearm of choice (updated)

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

chrisw

ZS SHTF sidearm of choice (updated)

Post by chrisw » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:27 am

Ok so i am a handgun guy. I don't own a ton of long guns but I have a descent supply of handguns as that is what I like to collect. As a result I started this thread a while back and had a ton of fun with it seeing what people would rely on.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 07&t=52605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since then my collection has changed a bit. I had just recently picked up my first glock at that point in time and had an instant love affair with my glock 19. as a result my collection has expanded a bit with my glock mini wheel. I am kinda a mag whore as well. I won't own a handgun without at least 5 mags for it and I prefer 10+ so here is the glock mini wheel:

So my question is the same as before pretty much seeing if anyone has changed from before or if there are new people since this topic from a couple years ago. If you could only grab one handgun in a shtf type situation to defend yourself what would it be? I know many of us would want a rifle with us as much as possible, but there are times when our hands are otherwise committed and your rifle is nearby but not in your hands or on you. So what would be on your side all the time? Feel free to include what you would use for yourself and others in your family or household. Before it was my ruger p89 for me and the glock for her both with a ton of mags. I still love my ruger, but just too heavy and having a common platform in my group has advantages. I would go for my glock 19 and if i had another with me maybe a girlfriend, i have a second glock 19 for that role. I would just toss the g26 in the bottom of my bag in case either gun went down we would have a backup with mag compatability or could rob the 26 for parts to fix the 19. Soooo... What would you have with you?

please post pics of your choice!

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Re: ZS SHTF sidearm of choice (updated)

Post by azrael99 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:50 am

hum, a sidearm ?

well, it's a tough choice. i don't know if i would prefer a G17 with his huge amount of rounds per magazine or the stopping power of a S&W in 357, both of them are reliable and rugged and you can find ammo easy and there are not as expensive as other caliber. and the advantage is you can also carry ans use .38 in your 357.

(when i talk about finding ammo i mean right now, not post-SHTF)

those are hypothetical choice since i don't own any sidearm.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:03 am

I used to be big into "combat" :lol: handguns. I've changed my mind after getting some more outdoor experience and would much rather have a good, reliable 22lr. Even a .380 will cause too much damage to small game so a 22lr is better for securing food. A 22lr isn't a man stopper but, it is only a backup to your rifle and it is still pretty darn effective. A nice Ruger in 22lr would fit the bill nicely IMO.
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." ~Mary Gardiner Brainard

Cummins/Knight's Armament Company/Colt/Barrett/

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:22 am

True sidearm? Glock 35 or 21. For me, probably a 35. I want the longest sight radius and largest magazine I can get in my preferred caliber, since it will be OC'd on my hip.

EDIT: forgot the rest of the post.

Right now I'm still trying to find ammo that my 1911 likes. I'll be picking up a G19 or 17 whenever I get my NC CCP.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:25 am

Glock 17 vs Glock 19? Why choose? :mrgreen:

Glock 17 chopped to 19 grip length. Best of both worlds, no compromises.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:38 am

Glock 19. It is the best Glock.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:42 am

My Springfield XD9 with 16 round mags. I've shot over 5000 rnds through this gun and have NEVER had a single malfunction. Ammo is easy to find, it's accurate, and I trust it.

AmnJoker333
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead

Post by AmnJoker333 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:18 am

It would be a tough call between my Glock 19 and Glock 21. Probably the 19 because I have the most magazines for it.
AR-15/Glock/.45 vs 9mm neutral/pie

Brandr

Post by Brandr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:10 am

seeing as I only have one sidearm I would have to go with my Kimber TLE II
Sic Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:24 am

nimdabew wrote:Glock 19. It is the best Glock handgun.
FTFY
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

jermzy
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of Them

Post by jermzy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:36 am

My choice would be my Glock 19 or my Smith and Wesson 1066. The Glock for obvious reasons, and the Smith and Wesson 1066 is just becuse its 10mm. lol
-Jeremy

jrswanson1

Post by jrswanson1 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:59 am

For me, I have no love of Glocks. I couldn't warm up the to grips on those things. I like my steel framed pistols. For a Day by Day Armageddon, I'd prefer my CZ-75b. For life after a deadly pandemic, my ParaOrdnance P16-40 upgraded to 10mm.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:12 am

For me it would be my Colt .45 Officers Model
Mr. NoAm would be carrying his Colt .45 Government Model
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

polliedes

Post by polliedes » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:49 am

still doing the glock 19 for the same reasons as before...
3 of them in my immediate family, lotsa magazines and thousands of rounds of ammo already on hand
ICRS EMTB

EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:56 am

My sig sauer 2022 hasn't let me down once so probably that. I need to get more mags for it....

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:17 am

I'm sure it will come to most of you as a big shocker that this is my answer:

Violent Torpedo of Truth

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:46 pm

My USP45 tactical. (with 20rnd extended mag if there be zombies) Or my 8-shot S&W 357 revolver.

If I needed to be discreet I'd pack one of my compact 45s.

The Jinxmedic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Titanic

Post by The Jinxmedic » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:54 pm

In a SHTF situation where I would be on foot, I trade out the M1911 for the Browning Hi-Power. (It simply comes down to the issue of the lighter weight of each individual round, and yes- magazine capacity.)

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Probably my XDm in 9mm.. It is my EDC so that is probably what I would have on me.

But on TerryGecko's recommendation I went and shot the Five Seven - It is fast becoming a favorite and the only gun my wife will shoot. Ammo is a little expensive however.

Or my TRP

edit: more appropriate picture

HKTackDriver

Post by HKTackDriver » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:42 pm

TerryGecko wrote:I'm sure it will come to most of you as a big shocker that this is my answer:

A very smart man. That and a S&W 317 would be my two guns to carry into the apocolypse. 30rnd 5.7 mags on one and 22lr on the other means a lot of ammo that can be carried without a lot of weight. And both are good game getters.

Unassigned
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead
Zombieland
Night Of The Living Dead
Diary Of The Dead
Resident Evil 1-4

Post by Unassigned » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:40 pm

Para Ordnance P-14...

Or...

Glock 19 Gen 4 (Backstraps fit my hand better)
I am AR/Glock AND 1911*gasp!*/Blue Wire/Pie/Coke/Ford/Chuck Norris
Jeriah wrote:And for the record, I once had a GREAT time at a gay bar in New York.
ZSC:029 - North East Ohio Zombie Squad - Founding Member, Chapter Officer.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:57 pm

I own a Beretta 92fs that I love. Used to own a HK45 (not USP) and a Sigpro 2022 in .40S&W which are exceptional firearms.

What I would like when the SHTF is a CZ-75 SP-01 Phantom and a HK P30 as backup.

As far as I am concerned with calibers

9mm = Target eliminated
.40S&W = Target eliminated
.45ACP = Target eliminated

It really depends on the operator
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

shiddymunkie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by shiddymunkie » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:25 pm

VeniVidiVici wrote:I used to be big into "combat" :lol: handguns. I've changed my mind after getting some more outdoor experience and would much rather have a good, reliable 22lr. Even a .380 will cause too much damage to small game so a 22lr is better for securing food. A 22lr isn't a man stopper but, it is only a backup to your rifle and it is still pretty darn effective. A nice Ruger in 22lr would fit the bill nicely IMO.
Have you seen the PMR-30 before? Its a standard sized pistol that holds 30 rds of .22 magnum. It might be something you'd like.

While outside the scope of this discussion, there's also the RMR-30, which is essentially the same firearm in a carbine (it's a tiny thing):

As for me choice, the g19

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:37 pm

shiddymunkie wrote:
VeniVidiVici wrote:I used to be big into "combat" :lol: handguns. I've changed my mind after getting some more outdoor experience and would much rather have a good, reliable 22lr. Even a .380 will cause too much damage to small game so a 22lr is better for securing food. A 22lr isn't a man stopper but, it is only a backup to your rifle and it is still pretty darn effective. A nice Ruger in 22lr would fit the bill nicely IMO.
Have you seen the -snip-
I was interested in a Keltec, until I held one. :x The quality just isn't there regardless of how it performs. Ruger is about as low as I will go price wise. I prefer high end guns and am willing to pay for it. Rugers have a proven design but, I've been eyeing a 4"Colt Diamondback in 22lr for awhile now. :mrgreen:
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." ~Mary Gardiner Brainard

Cummins/Knight's Armament Company/Colt/Barrett/

Return to “Handguns”