Pickle buckets from Firehouse Subs

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

redcrow

Pickle buckets from Firehouse Subs

Post by redcrow » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Firehouse Subs ran a commerical on the raido saying you can go to any of the locations and buy
the used 5 gallon pickle buckets for $2 each. The money goes to a charity I can't recall which charity but according to the
Firehouse Sub website they donate money too Fire Departments that can't afford gear.

The states they are located in are:
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado (Denver), Florida, Georgia, Indiana (Indianapolis), Illinois (Chicago), Kansas (Kansas City),
Kentucky (Louisville/Lexington), Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri (Springfield, Kansas City/St. Louis)
North Carolina, Oklahoma, Nevada, New Mexico (Albuquerque), Ohio (Cincinnati/Columbus), Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh/Philadelphia), South
Carolina, Tennessee, Texas (Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Houston), Utah (Salt Lake City), Virginia, Washington DC, West Virginia

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Re: Pickle buckets from Firehouse Subs

Post by dukman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:49 pm

The downside would be that they had pickles in them :oops: I don't know if you will never be able to store really anything in them. Gear will smell like pickles. The leftover vinegar fumes might damage ammo. Food will taste like pickles... but I guess if you really liked pickles it might be a good thing :mrgreen:
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Hot water and baking soda ought to get the pickle stink right out.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:05 pm

It is just vinegar.

Wash them well and they will be fine. Besides you should wrap what ever you store in baggies or mylar bags. These containers will keep out oxygen and vinegar fumes.

On top of that bugs will not like vinegar either so it will likely keep them out also.

BTW I use 5 gallon buckets that contain pool chlorine for non-food storage; after washing them out they work fine.

Foxy

Post by Foxy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:00 am

FYI!

You can get 4 gal frosting buckets from Sam's Club / Costco for FREE at least where I live.

Just go to the bakery section and ask if they have any there going to toss.

As a bonus your stored items will smell like cake (frosting)!

SwampRat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(the remake), any of the resident evil films, 28 days later, armies of darkness, dead snow... ah hell it's like pickin a favorite child...

Post by SwampRat » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:04 am

Yeah, these buckets are bright red as well. Which is a huge plus in hurricane territory. I always consider the possibility that I may need to go dig my preps out of the woods after my house gets wiped off the map.
Upon reading one of my posts you should assume that before I post I reread my posts twice and then often again after I post to check and recheck for spelling and grammatical errors. And I still miss most of them because, as it turns out, when you are home-schooled, you are only as smart as your mom.

Electricity

Post by Electricity » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:05 am

Bakerys often have left over honey, malt and (sigh) corn syrup buckets for free too.
Official Meat World Spice Merchant

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:41 pm

It's for a good cause, and I now know there is a Firehouse Subs close to me. I haven't had one in years!
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:54 pm

Towanda wrote:Hot water and baking soda ought to get the pickle stink right out.

Yep, it's very simple. Fill the bucket with around four ounces baking soda (1/4 of a standard box), fill the rest of it with water, and let it sit for a day or two. Rinse it out well, let it dry, and there's your bucket. You've helped out fire stations and gotten cheap buckets.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:13 pm

I use empty, washed-out kitty litter buckets for a lot of storage. They are also bright yellow, which makes them easy to spot.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:48 pm

I just picked up 3 of them for the 2 dollar donation per each.

Umm, unless you don't have an alternative for 5-gallon buckets, or you have a Firehouse Subs right next door, I'ma say "pass" on this.

These buckets are nasty and covered in vinegar, pickle remnants, and other food scraps both inside and out.

It was a 5-minute drive back and I don't think I'll ever get that smell out of my trunk.

Don't put these in the interior of your car.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:59 pm

*sigh*

Reminds me of.....

(nsfw)Aw, dangit.... it wasn't in the clip.

I was trying to post a Clerks 2 reference. If ya saw it, you know which scene I'm talking about.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:12 pm

Dude. These things are making my backyard stink in the rain.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:13 pm

Looks like ZS double win!
Giving to charity and getting recycled prep gear!
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

bgnad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bgnad » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:20 pm

I'll have to try that out, we now have a Firehouse not far from here.

Thanks for the heads-up! :D
====================================================================================
Brian "Bubba" Gnad
Zombie Squad Fleet Vehicle ZS-069

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." -Benjamin Franklin

John Ringo's "Black Tide Rising" series is now my favorite Zombie PAW Universe.

Vicarious_Lee

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:52 pm

Don't bother. These things are kinda nasty. They might be worth it for free, but not worth paying for.

Home Depot has some nice orange ones for sale that are already squeaky clean.

These buckets look cool, though, so whatever.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... marketID=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

54 cents more than I paid, though I did get a wire handle and a lid that is also really nasty.

redcrow

Post by redcrow » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:58 pm

Yea I was going to warn about the vinegar smell. many moons ago I went on a camoing trip were we had to canoe to get the camp. Well
we had the bright idea to pack everything in pickle buckets we got from a greasy spoon down the road. I soaked mine in bleach for over
24 hours before the trip. The smell never came out and everything we had put in the buckets smelled of dill pickles for the entire trip.
They did keep everything dry even when one of the canoes capsized. The only thing dry was in those buckers. If you like pickles its not
that bad I guess.

Foxy

Post by Foxy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:53 am

In regards to the pickle smell try making a paste with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda and rubbing it on the insides of the buckets then set them out somewhere warm and sunny. The heat will help to get the pickle smell out more quickly thought you'll need to run the process a few time to completely get the smell out.

Vinegar is basically acetic acid, so it's a small and volatile molecule, making it something that is great at soaking into the buckets interior. So even if it seems like the smell is gone after a few scrubbings best to wait a week with the buckets covered and to the smell test again as more pickle smell may end up seeping into the bucket.

ferretrodeo

Post by ferretrodeo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:30 am

I could always use more buckets for my garden.
That which does not kill us makes us stronger, that which does kill us makes us dinner.

Vicarious_Lee

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Foxy wrote:In regards to the pickle smell try making a paste with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda and rubbing it on the insides of the buckets then set them out somewhere warm and sunny. The heat will help to get the pickle smell out more quickly thought you'll need to run the process a few time to completely get the smell out.

Vinegar is basically acetic acid, so it's a small and volatile molecule, making it something that is great at soaking into the buckets interior. So even if it seems like the smell is gone after a few scrubbings best to wait a week with the buckets covered and to the smell test again as more pickle smell may end up seeping into the bucket.
24 hours in the over-chlorinated pool. Outsides are okay, the insides will gag you if you smell.

I may do the "multiple soaks in H2O2 and baking soda" but really?

This was not a good idea. My wife literally facepalmed at me yesterday. :lol:

Hell, gotta do something with the stinky little things.

Mr.NoAm
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead; Dawn of the Dead; Zombieland; 28 Days Later;28 Weeks Later

Post by Mr.NoAm » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Yeah, the Mrs. and I picked up a Firehouse Subs pickle bucket months ago. It stunk up the yard for weeks (we left it outside to see if nature would lessen the smell-not so much)..... I'd avoid these buckets...

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:19 pm

Yeah in the paw a bunch of you will be saying, "I would feed my starving kids this rice but it smells like pickles." The smell is not that bad and I have never noticed any taste/smell issues with food made from beans, rice, or flour stored in them.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

glockman19

Post by glockman19 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:12 pm

I get some of these pickle buckets from where I work and I leave mine outside uncovered for a couple of months and no smell. I was them out with dawn and water then let them air out. I currently have five outside right now. I currently have three with food clothes and dog food in them. Fido does not seem to mind.

Takaaco78

Post by Takaaco78 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:54 am

i have a 55 gallon pickle drum , and i use it for store horse feed. its been cleaned but you can still smell the pickles
“When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else.” – Mark Twain

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”