It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:20 am 
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

ODA 226 wrote:
While it's great to know how fast and how far you can go with your GHB, please take into account that if the SHTF and there was massive civil unrest, you'd be a fool to take ANY road back home. You'll most likely be scarfed up by the authorities or beaten to a pulp by rioters.

Maybe; I believe you're a fairly sharp guy and believe we both understand that in the speed of travel vs. cover during travel trade off we prefer the peace of mind in traveling with cover. Though speed of travel may win if your family is in an unsafe situation that your presence can appreciably improve or if you need to get to shelter due to some environmental reason.

It's not hard to forget that we live in a really big country and the proportion of law enforcement and military to the populous is a very small. In rural areas that still surround some urban centers, travel may be unimpeded given the lower population density. And, beyond all that, we're talking about the theoretical.

I don't think I'm telling you or any other reader anything they don't know in saying "it depends on the situation".

-Jeff

P.S. Great job on your Mag Pouch kit

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:21 am 

I'm working up to it with my EDC+. I have a GHB but its in the overkill category. On a dry run I shouldn't need anything more than the EDC+

My EDC + is a mapedition Jumbo with a water bottle, hat, jacket, gloves, some emergency rations, sun screen, small first aid kit and a pistol.

My home is twelve miles from work along urban roads. I'm going to do it Friday after work and leave my truck at work. First time I'll cheat and change cloths/shoes into my secondary clothes from the GHB in my truck. Key on the first run is to actually make it home and see how bad it is. I might cheat here or there in the name of making it home by getting water froma store or supplement a missing item if needed.

Second time I'll do it in my work clothes/shoes assuming I can't get to my truck. I'll also add a rule of no money/stores on the second run.

I am not in shape but want to use this as a short term goal to get me going. I have to ramp up my evening walks and hope to do the full run in June.

Last edited by JT_of_JFF on Wed May 12, 2010 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:24 am 
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

sigboy40 wrote:
In response to some othe threads floating around about the amount of distance that can be covered in one day, I have decided to test my GHB, and the plan that I have to use it. I would also like to encourage the rest of you to do the same.
Next Wednesday, May 12th 2010, I leave my workplace at 3:30 pm. The scenario will be that all forms of vehicle transportation are down, and all cell phones are not working. I will take only the items listed in my GHB(see link in my sig), my EDC, my walking stick, and my IPOD (don't judge me, it's a long walk). I will walk the 15.7 miles home and time how long it takes me. I expect to arrive home on or before 8:30 pm. I will probably not arrive home any earlier that 7:30 pm.
If anybody else would like to join me in testing your 'Get Home' plan, you are more than welcome to post your plan and the results in this thread.
Good luck to all! Stay sharp and avoid the Zombies.

Gee... I wonder which thread that might have been? :P

I wouldn't want to be without my iPod either... 5 hours of walking alone outdoors will be pretty damn boring. If it's not too embarrassing and doesn't disrupt the fiction of your mock get home exercise, maybe you could wear a reflective vest just in case you're walking near unlit roads? Just a thought. Also, if you think of it, maybe you could bring a notebook with you to write down some notes during your trip. That way it would be easy to share with us what happened - and if you wear a watch you can even add a time to your entries.

-Jeff

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:31 pm 

Final preps are done......
I have my orange shirt on, well hydrated, new socks, and have used more powder than you can find in your average strip club.
Current weather is 81* with an eight mph headwind. That is supposed to increase to 25 by 5pm.
See ya'll in a few hours......

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:
Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:34 pm 

I'm sure you'll be fine, but good luck anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:36 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you, and congrats on getting out there and really seeing if your gear does the job!

Edit: +1 on the smartwool socks. I LOVE mine.

Random stuff you really should buy from me. (Updated May 1, 2016

Last edited by Mister Dark on Wed May 12, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:43 pm 

Cool!

Easy and consistent goes a long way!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:16 pm 

phil_in_cs wrote:
gravediggerfour wrote:
Good Luck brother! I cant wait to hear how it comes out! Your ass is going to have to come to MO sometime when I get there. Maybe Wintergedon this year?

I don't know if you heard, but it was cold at Wintergedon last year.

Hey if your talking about the fact I bugged out from the bug out cause it was cold and shitty, I wasn't expecting that weather, its not my fault the damn Canucks SigBoy brought came with cold and shitty weather! I'm going to be ready for Cold and shitty at Wintergedon cause its WINTERGEDON!

Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html

Please also like us on Facebook!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:07 pm 

Today is the day good luck and have fun. I would try this but I work in College Station and live buy Kingwood TX that is 90 miles one way. I guess I will have to test mine "under fire".

"Liberty is never unalienable; it must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes. Of all the so-called natural human rights that have ever been invented, liberty is least likely to be cheap and is never free of cost."-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:01 pm 

done

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:08 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Bootypirate wrote:
Today is the day good luck and have fun. I would try this but I work in College Station and live buy Kingwood TX that is 90 miles one way. I guess I will have to test mine "under fire".

That's a damn long drive. Most people go the other way - live here and work in Houston somewhere.

Did 4 miles w/ 25lbs in my ruck, plus 3L water. Hour 10 minutes.

I will work something more complicated when I have more time.

sigboy40 wrote:
done

You made good time, buddy!

Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:18 pm 

Drink a beer bro! Cant wait to read the wright up!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:14 pm 

I am ready to start my AAR now that I am stretched out and have taken a hot shower.

4.5 hours between posts, 15.7 miles equals 17.197 minutes per mile. Still two minutes too slow for my personal standards, but we will get to that later.

I took Jnathans advice and took paper and pen with me, the time and what I wrote is in italics, explanation is in regular case.
3:48 I forgot a pen But wait, there is one in my GHB.
3:54 I should have peed before I left
4:02 I didn't realize there was a prairie dog town here. They are barking and chirping, not very happy about me being here. I will have to remember this, if I came thru in the middle of the night all stealthy like ODA wants, I will be made be a bunch of funny looking squirrels.
4:10 How did all this Cher get on my IPOD?
4:19 First drink of water
4:48 Seriously, whats with all the Cher? I dont see what is so genius about this play list

5:06 Hot spots on my feet
5:21 5 minute break, check feet, relace boots
I really didn't know that you could get blisters there...
5:54 Saw a deer, it didn't want to stick around and play
6:04 I was offered a ride by a wonderful gentleman who wanted to help.
I politely refused, explaining that I was doing this because 'somebody was wrong on the Internet.
6:16 turned into the wind and the sun. I'm starting to get tired, I should take another break When I turned West, the wind was directly in my face at 30+mph, this really took a lot out of. I slowed down considerably.
6:33 Feeling it now, energy is low, I need to add hard candy to the GHB
6:35 Going to hit the Goo
6:56 Out of water I have yet to decide if I am going to add another liter
7:03 Crossed I-27 and I have to pee
7:23 Crossed I-87
7:34 You can rest when your dead
7:37 Pain is weakness leaving the body

7:45 Hey look a c-store! Would it be against the spirit of the challenge if I stopped for a slurpee?

I will add more and pics tomorrow.

thinkfree wrote:

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:42 pm 

Sounds like some great lessons.

I don't take well to my feet getting chewed up. I don't know how I did it when I was kid, but I used to walk for hours on end with the cheapest shoes my Mom could find. I'm hoping my expensive boots and my feets hold up well.

Looking forward to your thoughts on your mission.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:45 pm 

Great idea. Will most likely be doing the same tomorrow. Mine will be pretty easy mode though. I only work 2.5 miles from home. My passkey sensor on my old buick went out on me this morning so this seems like an opportune time to hoof it to work and back. The only thing that might make things tricky is i get out of work at 11pm. Better to find out what problems will exist now than when I'm really counting on it. Thanks for inspiring me.

The other day I took a walk in a local state park to see how my ghb would do with 18 pounds packed in it(3L water included). Its just a jansport school backpack left over from college and it was not comfortable after an hour. I think me and the pack need to loose some weight if I'm going to be using it for realzies.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:55 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

FTW sigboy! good man!

did i read that you ran out of water? maybe i missed it, but how much did you take with you...im tired and too lazy to go back and read through the thread.

once again good job! 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:58 am 

Glad you are okay sigboy.

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:29 am 

Glennbo wrote:
You have no idea what you can encounter on foot as opposed to just driving by in your car. It's a completely different world. There are unsavory people, difficult traffic situations (just try crossing a major road if the drivers happen to be in the mood to ignore traffic laws), messed up sidewalk and road surfaces, places where dogs are a danger, all kinds of things you'd never contemplate until they're in your face and unavoidable. You just don't experience this stuff from your car or by looking at a map... <snip>

I would say that this post is a perfect example of "the point".

Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut wrote:

edit: for punctuation

squinty wrote:
You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:
That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

Last edited by prepper7 on Thu May 13, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:16 am 

sigboy40 wrote:
3:54 I should have peed before I left

7:03 Crossed I-27 and I have to pee
First, congratulations! This is a great thing you've done for the forum. And the note taking was a nice touch.

The peeing thing is a problem. Since I'm in a city, when I hike with my BOB late at night there is nowhere to pee. I have to make sure I'm well drained before begining. Even if the cops don't spot you, property owners will object to a grown man peeing into their bushes. I admit I've had to do it a couple of times. And when you get to be 50 years old like me it becomes neccessary to do so more frequently.

The rest of you who decide to do this test should take your personal waste disposal into account. In an urban mock bug out it can be awkward to stumble into a McDonalds with a backpack on to relieve yourself. In a real SHTF situation it probably won't matter as much.

I am so inspired by the results of your hike that I am going to attempt my greatest distance challenge with my 50lb BOB yet...6 miles without stopping. It's going to kill me. I'll have to make sure I have the next day off of work, and have my affairs in order.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:00 am 

Great job, looking forward to the pics. I work from home so walking from work is not an option. I may have to try this from my wifes office, about 7 miles. Thanks for the idea.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:20 am 

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
did i read that you ran out of water? maybe i missed it, but how much did you take with you...im tired and too lazy to go back and read through the thread.

I took two litres of water with me, and I was well hydrated when I left. I honestly didnt think that I was going to run out of water, 80 degree temps would lead most people to believe the same thing. My theory is that the wind dehydrated me more than the temps did. I need to sit down and work thru the times, but I believe that I slowed down considerably when the wind started approaching 30mph.
BobtheBreaker wrote:
Glad you are okay sigboy.

Thank you, Bob, I appreciate your concern.

prepper7 wrote:
Glennbo wrote:
You have no idea what you can encounter on foot as opposed to just driving by in your car. It's a completely different world. There are unsavory people, difficult traffic situations (just try crossing a major road if the drivers happen to be in the mood to ignore traffic laws), messed up sidewalk and road surfaces, places where dogs are a danger, all kinds of things you'd never contemplate until they're in your face and unavoidable. You just don't experience this stuff from your car or by looking at a map... <snip>

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; but in practice, there is.

Sir, you are exactly correct. This quote is so on the money, I just might sig it. This is what I am going to tell people from now on when they ask about the 'crazy' things that I occasionally do.

Glennbo wrote:
I am so inspired by the results of your hike that I am going to attempt my greatest distance challenge with my 50lb BOB yet...6 miles without stopping. It's going to kill me. I'll have to make sure I have the next day off of work, and have my affairs in order.

Do or do not, there is no try. -Yoda

More will follow later, I have to get busy with work stuff. Photo's will have to wait til I get home, I forgot my camera today.

thinkfree wrote:

Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:45 am 

sigboy40 wrote:
6:04 I was offered a ride by a wonderful gentleman who wanted to help.I politely refused, explaining that I was doing this because 'somebody was wrong on the Internet.

Did he offer you free candy too? :wink:

the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:34 pm 

If you can't stop try peeing while walking, I have done in many a time you just have to waddle a little bit, oh and watch the 30mph head wind, you might want to walk backwards while doing it! Glad to here that you made it home ok and you almost held up to EIB standards!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:58 pm 

sigboy40 wrote:
prepper7 wrote:
Glennbo wrote:

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; but in practice, there is.

Sir, you are exactly correct. This quote is so on the money, I just might sig it. This is what I am going to tell people from now on when they ask about the 'crazy' things that I occasionally do.

It's one of my all-time favourite quotes. And one, I believe, you have earned, sigboy. You have inspired, informed, and entertained. Carry on, o intrepid explorer, with your "crazy" (like a fox) adventures. :D

squinty wrote:
You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:
That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next