I'm still here, but busy prepping my ass off..

Forum section for northern Texas members

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 019 Officers

d.riley

I'm still here, but busy prepping my ass off..

Post by d.riley » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:27 pm

It's been pretty quiet here, but I get it. I've been spending as much time as I can boosting my preps. For me personally, the most important/urgent are water, food, and security. I've been working on all of those but not done yet.

Yesterday I finally ordered all the PVC parts I need to plumb in my two rain catchment IBCs to my swimming pool for simple drain and fill if needed. So now if I need to drain those, I can just open the valves and let it drain into my pool, which can overflow to the alley. Or, if I do it right, I can probably drain it directly to waste if needed, so not to screw up the pool chemical balance unnecessarily. Will be able to easily fill from the pool as well (for emergency collection if needed), but of course that is not ideal since there is a fair amount of chemicals in there. But fortunately, those chemicals do deteriorate fairly quickly, as in a few days.

For food I have started building an aquaponics system, but it has a long way to go and now it's hot so I don't want to work on it. If I were to do a regular ground garden it would be raided daily by the local squirrels. :-( So, stocking up on extra canned/dry goods will have to do for now.

For security, I recently replaced the old falling-apart gate on the backyard fence since anybody could just open it and walk in there before. I barred it, but then I couldn't easily use it. Now it is locked unless I am using it. I am also shopping for a DVR camera system so I have better situational awareness of what is happening around my property.

Oh yeah, also am receiving today the much needed replacement turbo for my long-range bug out vehicle.. I am more prone to bug-in, but still want the option to leave if needed.

So many projects, so little time. :-( tick tock, tick tock.

What are you all working on?
d.riley

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “ZSC:019”