ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead - Zack Snyder version
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

ZSC:019 - Getting out to shoot/practice

Post by ShooterMike » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:48 am

Starting this thread for Chapter 19 just because it's been really slow around here lately. Thought I would see if anyone is interested in posting little tidbits about range trips or hunting or really anything involving "you got outdoors to get in some shooting time."

Last week CricketDave and I got out to do some shooting. Involved a lot of ogling and pawing each others toys, a little steel shooting, some practice drills, a few hand-thrown targets with shotgun, and some cool driving&shooting fun. Gonna have to do it again soon.

What about the rest of you? Getting any time to go shooting or hunting?

Rockfish Dave

Re: ZSC:019 - Getting out to shoot/practice

Post by Rockfish Dave » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:47 am

Gearing up for deer season. The property is better than it has been in probably 20 years. Looks like I'll have 3 ground blinds and one tree stand.

Had one varmint cage destroyed. Not sure if the racoon's did it or a buck got tangled up.

More repairs and work for next weekend.

Looking forward to sharing hunting with friends and family again this year.
Vigilence is the price of freedom. I would rather pay today than pay everyday for my lack of action.

http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:42 am

I bagged a few dove last month and put a hog down this morning. He was about 90 lbs and hadn't hit puberty yet.

That means making sausage all day. I think I'll split it into small batches of klobase, jalapeño, a boudin-type that uses barley, and a Greek styles. I've got a giant chuck of prosciutto so I'll grind it into the Greek style.

I'll only smoke the klobase and jalapeño types.
Boldly going nowhere

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:55 am

Late on this one, but we had a good dove hunt on Sept 1 and 2. Most of the 5 of us killed a limit both days. And drank a lot of whiskey and beer at night. And told a LOT of good lies. You know...the older I get, the better I was.... :v:

arrowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Location: Riding Shotgun on the Bang Bus out of the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by arrowolf » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:52 pm

I've got a new Remington 700 .243 I'd like to get out do some long shooting with.
Every cloud has a silver lining. Except the mushroom-shaped ones which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium-90.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:49 pm

When I want to get out to 200 yards and beyond, I head to Tac Pro Shooting Center. It's 45 minutes from me and about the same from you. The range hasn't been very crowded most days. The chance to put a bunch of clays on the long range berm and shoot at them from 300 to 500 yards is a really easy way to get your poop together with a new rifle, in a most practical way.

If you can get away some week day, send me a message or email and I will meet you there and show you around.

Rockfish Dave

Post by Rockfish Dave » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:25 am

Zimmy wrote:I bagged a few dove last month and put a hog down this morning. He was about 90 lbs and hadn't hit puberty yet.

That means making sausage all day. I think I'll split it into small batches of klobase, jalapeño, a boudin-type that uses barley, and a Greek styles. I've got a giant chuck of prosciutto so I'll grind it into the Greek style.

I'll only smoke the klobase and jalapeño types.
Sounds like some good eating!
Vigilence is the price of freedom. I would rather pay today than pay everyday for my lack of action.

http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rockfish Dave

Post by Rockfish Dave » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:27 am

ShooterMike wrote:When I want to get out to 200 yards and beyond, I head to Tac Pro Shooting Center. It's 45 minutes from me and about the same from you. The range hasn't been very crowded most days. The chance to put a bunch of clays on the long range berm and shoot at them from 300 to 500 yards is a really easy way to get your poop together with a new rifle, in a most practical way.

If you can get away some week day, send me a message or email and I will meet you there and show you around.
This year has flown by, good to take the time for recreation.

celtic_phoenix
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by celtic_phoenix » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:58 pm

Dragon Rouge and myself have been hitting the range fairly recently, usually Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville, but we're in talks to go to Quail Creek one of these days now that its not so bloody hot.

In fact we were out playing today. Shot my first .357 rounds, the man thought my reaction was funny as hell, he had tears leaking from his eyes.(I think I laid out a few choice words regarding the recoil) But darn it all I stuck to it and went through 15-20 rounds(not all in a row I had to take a short break as the trigger was a bit stiff on the hands). Also shot some 9mm, 22lr and 38 special for handguns.

Also played with a 20 gauge shotty and a pretty little .556. Did darned good with the .556 at 25 yards my groupings were almost all within the size of my palm. Need to get outside for more distance and see how I do on that.

Might possibly be out next week, depends on if I'm stuck on mandatory OT at work and how everyone is feeling.
ZS fleet number ZS-0491
Not all who wander are lost. J. R.R. Tolkien
You can take the girl out of Kansas, but can't take the Kansas out of the girl.

Wrangler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Wrangler » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:15 am

How's everyone summer training going so far? I've made a couple range trips with ShooterMike and I've learned a ton! He even had new considering trading in my Sig 220 for a high cap 9 mil!

What is everyone else working on this summer?
When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take along Samuel Colt...

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:23 am

I've done a lot of shooting and moving drills with the AR, Sterling, Saiga, and various pistols on paper and steel at 3m, 10m, 25m, 50m, and 100m.

I got to shoot a couple hundred rounds out of the the new Benelli M4 (M1014) semiauto tactical shotgun. It has a lot of buttons that made it seem over complicated to load, but it functioned well from bird to buck to Brenneke.

Still haven't got any long range shooting in, but I want to get the 300 Mag and 45-70 running on the 200-500m ranges to hone my rusty skills.
Boldly going nowhere

Wrangler

Post by Wrangler » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:40 pm

I also need to get some long range shooting in, sadly it's hard to fund a good range with anything more than 200.
When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take along Samuel Colt...

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:51 pm

Wrangler wrote:I also need to get some long range shooting in, sadly it's hard to fund a good range with anything more than 200.
That's for sure. The ranch I always shot on changed hands and ended it for me. i need to find another that backs up to the Trinity River levee.
Boldly going nowhere

Wrangler

Post by Wrangler » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:45 pm

What public ranges do you use?

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:52 pm

Wrangler wrote:What public ranges do you use?
None. I shoot on my farm for the most part. Occasionally I shoot at a public range down by lake Travis. I've never tried one of the good ones in DFW
Boldly going nowhere

Wrangler

Post by Wrangler » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:42 pm

Maybe we should have an outing at Tac Pro.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:38 pm

Any idea what that costs? I'm unable to find range fees or membership costs on the website. All I see are class fees.

Thats a loooong way from Ennis.
Boldly going nowhere

Wrangler

Post by Wrangler » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:31 pm

Yea I'll need to give them a call to find out pricing. Would be a nice day trip though.

d.riley

Post by d.riley » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:33 pm

Some of us have been going out to a private range near Nevada, TX. It's called Armadillo Gun Store and Range. We try to go at least once a week, but not everybody can make it every time. Also depends on weather. Some of us will be there tomorrow afternoon, so maybe see you there. Everybody in this group is so spread out, I don't blame you if it is too far..

cheers
d.riley

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 pm

In for some range time! :clap:
ZSC:019 Member
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

d.riley

Post by d.riley » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Yes Please! "Make it go Boom!"
d.riley

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “ZSC:019”