Climbing in an URBAN environment

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NeverReady

Climbing in an URBAN environment

Post by NeverReady » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:39 pm

I use to climb a lot when I was a kid, not so much now. There are various reasons I want to learn how to climb in an urban environment. Here is a list of things going through my mind.........

1. Trapped in a burning building and stuck on an upper floor.
2. running from zombies and need to scale a wall or climb a tree fast.
3. moving across roof tops if I am in a flash flood.

In general I think it would be good to learn how to climb in an urban environment. Does anyone have any advice? I am looking for books, videos/youtube, etc...Even your own personal style and experiences. Also the main thing I am looking for here is how to use knots and rope, I know how to make solid knots through books and personal testing, but I don't know how to incorporate climbing and knots together. I also want to know about climbing with no rope as this is the most likely case in an emergency situation.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Re: Climbing in an URBAN environment

Post by azrael99 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:00 pm

[YouTube][/YouTube]

[YouTube][YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yVcH_xx ... re=related[/YouTube][/YouTube]
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

urban-survivalist

Post by urban-survivalist » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:14 am

Interesting question NeverReady...

One thing that comes to mind that might be interesting is climbing using "prusik" knots. Not totally urban, but a good minimal way to scale something. You may already have experience with this, but essentially a way that you can scale a rope, just using two small loops of 550 cord.
Dan Carpenter
Head Outdoor Wannabe, https://GearLobo.com
and https://HomesteadLaunch.com

NeverReady

Post by NeverReady » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:20 pm

urban-survivalist wrote:Interesting question NeverReady...

One thing that comes to mind that might be interesting is climbing using "prusik" knots. Not totally urban, but a good minimal way to scale something. You may already have experience with this, but essentially a way that you can scale a rope, just using two small loops of 550 cord.

Thanks Urban-Survivalist I will look into it.

azrael99 I'm guessing you think my question is dumb. Whatever.........

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:38 pm

not really dumb. but hard and would need tremendous preparation.

these videos showed the most extreme way you could do. street climbing is the most extreme one and is hard to learn but would be the most practical as it need only your own body to reach complex and high steps.

zips lines are the most complex one, and take the most time to make but once they are assemble they would be the fastest way to travel from one building to the others.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

lezprepky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Jericho, The Road

Post by lezprepky » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:57 pm

May I suggest googling 'recreational tree climbing'. Recreational tree climbing (rtc) is a hobby that came out of the arborist profession. The techniques are relatively simple, and a large tree is all you need to practice. RTC is MUCH different than rock climbing. Rock climbing takes an enourmous amount of equipment and training. RTC can be learned in a few hours. The techniques can be applied to other climbing situations. Hope this helps.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:37 pm

As far as I know, climbing in an urban environment is illegal, like, everywhere. Every time some "human fly" climbs a building, it ends with them being arrested. Don't get me wrong, it looks extremely cool, and like it'd be a lot of fun. The night in jail, not so much fun. The only advantage in urban climbing over "out in the wild", would be the closer proximity to 911 services and hospitals. You could mitigate your risks and costs, tho, and just stick to climbing the hospital itself- try to stay over the ER entrance. That way you cut down on transport time.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

NeverReady

Post by NeverReady » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:39 pm

KnightoftheRoc wrote:As far as I know, climbing in an urban environment is illegal, like, everywhere. Every time some "human fly" climbs a building, it ends with them being arrested. Don't get me wrong, it looks extremely cool, and like it'd be a lot of fun. The night in jail, not so much fun. The only advantage in urban climbing over "out in the wild", would be the closer proximity to 911 services and hospitals. You could mitigate your risks and costs, tho, and just stick to climbing the hospital itself- try to stay over the ER entrance. That way you cut down on transport time.

This was a while ago. I had ideas about fire escape or evasion via out the window from several stories up. I knew of these guys before I posted, but I assumed they were more like those acrobatic martial artist who don't actually know self defense. If what has been mentioned on the thread is the only options I have, then I'll probably just stick to learning knots, and hope my 550 cord doesn't break.

Either that I just add a jet pack to my BOB. Whichever comes first..... :)

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:28 am

jetpack FTW! :D

Seriously, the knot learning will certainly do you no harm, and could easily be coming in handy later on, but be careful if you plan on using the 550 cord to hold your body weight. I was considering using it for hanging a hammock, and the overwhelming opinion was to NOT do that. Not all "paracord" materials are created equal, and even the best of it stretches (being nylon). I have done my fair share of climbing (cliffs, some rappelling, a LOT of tree work, some commercial rigging no one else would even attempt), and something as thin as 550 would be VERY uncomfortable, if not outright dangerous to have supporting your body. It's great for learning knots with, and it has a ton of uses, but a climbing/rappelling harness is NOT one of them. It's more expensive, but get some good climbing rope, and use your new knot knowledge on that for climbing.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Post by Arsenul » Wed May 29, 2013 8:29 am

I don't have that much muscle, and I'm working on fixing that. But one think you'll know about me is that I love doing this. That's why I'm working on getting a GoPro. Try and show the advantages of climbing and stuff during a disaster. A pack filled with stuff will always be on me too to show it being done with gear.
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

Zombie Hunter C

Post by Zombie Hunter C » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:35 pm

Indeed. I actually take it a step further by practicing the wall jump!

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:38 pm

Matt Damon and Angelina Jolie show you why you NEED this skill:

and

Joking aside, if you want to learn how to climba a building, learn how to climb rock. Buildings are fairly easy (or impossible) once you can rock climb, and the ropework is pretty much the same. In college (decades ago) late one night I climbed a belltower to silence a bell that woke us late-night oil-burners at 7AM, and it felt like Mission Impossible. The other late sleepers were grateful for months.

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Post by Arsenul » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:55 am

On a serious note: I do this myself. I live in a city and there aren't many tree's or cliffs to climb. The biggest rock is no bigger than a TV. So I climb buildings. Most of what you just said you wanted to do is fantasy. If there is a fire, you climb down with a rope if the stairs aren't accessible. If zombies are coming, you run away and you can climb a tree or wall but you need to have the muscle to pull yourself and your gear up. But once you are up there you will have to have a plan cause either your stuck with zombies below you, or you've got people on your tail following you. When it comes to moving across rooftops, unless the buildings are connected then your gonna have a hard time. This isn't the matrix. People who do parkour professionally have a hard time making a gap of 8ft. And if the buildings are close together but there is a drop, you have no idea how secure the roof is and if it will take your body weight. In parkour when they jump from a height, they roll in order to reduce the impact. You won't be able to do that with a backpack on. In fact most of what you want to do, can only be done if you are running and you only have the clothes on your back. No bags, no hats, nothing. The things that are in the videos that azrael99 posted is all stuff that people who practice this everyday can do. They have been doing it for years. So don't watch it and think you can suddenly do it. In fact you will most likely fail your procession jump the first time. Also keep in mind that in those videos, it was shot like any movie, in parts. None of that was continues footage.

Now onto what you can do right now. You want to do this for real than you should find a parkour group in your area. And you want to focus on parkour. There is parkour which is getting past and over your barrier. Then there is Free Running which has a little bit of parkour but mostly fancy flips which in a apocalyptic situation in which your getting chased, will get you killed. You want to learn from them simple stuff like tic tacking, precision jumps, rolls and other landing, jumping gaps, and other basic stuff. You also want to learn about climbing in general. This video is old but it shows some of the basic types of places you can try. Just simple stuff is smart and you go up to advanced stuff little by little.

I want to hear from you again, to be sure your alive, so drop me a message and I'll try to help where I can.

Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

TangoBravo81

Post by TangoBravo81 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:39 am

This is a really interesting topic which I have also give some thought lately. My main line of thought, however, is not so much getting into places but rather to get out of them if I need.

I am currently planning to picking up some climbing skills, namely bouldering. For those of you who are not familiar with the term: in essence you climb walls without any safety lines or anything. Normally this is done outside, on big boulders (hence the name), but it turns out there are very few of these in urban environments so they came up with an indoor variant. The maximum height is (I think) around 4-5 meters and in case you slip you land on a very (very) thick crash pad, which is convenient (and better for your health also).

I just need to build up some serious muscle for that first, though. I tried it a few times already and was inbcredibly sore for the next few days, although I had done my stretching and warming up.
For those that are not in a good physical condition already, be prepared to experience discomfort to some degree. This is especially true for the "circumferentially challenged" like I was at the time I tried this first. Losing a few pounds really helps here.

And in case nobody has mentioned it yet: learn to fall right. I nearly busted my scaphoid when I made an unplanned landing which was not a pleasant experience to say the least and one I would like to avoid in the future if I can help it.

But when it comes to an escape situation this climbing skill might certainly come in handy. Mainly I am thinking about ways to GTFO of a burning building or something. My office, for instance is on the 3rd floor and in case I cannot get out through the front door I would like to be able to pull out some gear to facilitate getting out. I have purchased a climbing harness (Petzl), a few carabiners (Mammut) and a belay (Black Diamond) already, now I still need some rope and have to learn how to use that stuff to abseil from a given height. My apartment is on the 2nd floor, with some solid railing to tie or hook abseiling gear to.

Another option that I was thinking was to place a bag of fastrope somewhere around my desk which I can hook to the windowsill or some piping and then slide down and out if need be. What makes this difficult is that for one, I was not able to locate any stores or online shops where you can buy this stuff and I also was not able to get any prices. But since fastroping is (I think) not done much in a civilian context this might not be a viable option.

Does anybody have gear for this type of situation and/or can share some first hand experience?

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:29 pm

TangoBravo81 wrote: I just need to build up some serious muscle for that first, though. I tried it a few times already and was inbcredibly sore for the next few days, although I had done my stretching and warming up.
For those that are not in a good physical condition already, be prepared to experience discomfort to some degree. This is especially true for the "circumferentially challenged" like I was at the time I tried this first. Losing a few pounds really helps here.
It's just like any other physical activity: You will be sore for the first week or so. For me, the first week of skiing, running, or sculpting after a break leads to constant sore muscles and a fair amount of ibuprofen. Any new activity will lead to using muscles that aren't used to being used, no matter how in shape you are. Loosing weight will help to a degree because it will lessen the forces on you muscles, but in my experience, sore muscles are just something you have to work through. (There is a big difference between sore muscles and strained, pulled, or torn muscles. If you are actually injured, make sure you allow ample recovery time)

marklar

Post by marklar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:22 pm

if you ever need a harness but dont happen to have one, you could use a Swiss Seat. super easy and super effective. hurts your special parts after a while, but works for shizzle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssmYruwGTzM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:44 pm

TangoBravo81 wrote:But when it comes to an escape situation this climbing skill might certainly come in handy. Mainly I am thinking about ways to GTFO of a burning building or something. My office, for instance is on the 3rd floor and in case I cannot get out through the front door I would like to be able to pull out some gear to facilitate getting out. I have purchased a climbing harness (Petzl), a few carabiners (Mammut) and a belay (Black Diamond) already, now I still need some rope and have to learn how to use that stuff to abseil from a given height. My apartment is on the 2nd floor, with some solid railing to tie or hook abseiling gear to.

Another option that I was thinking was to place a bag of fastrope somewhere around my desk which I can hook to the windowsill or some piping and then slide down and out if need be. What makes this difficult is that for one, I was not able to locate any stores or online shops where you can buy this stuff and I also was not able to get any prices. But since fastroping is (I think) not done much in a civilian context this might not be a viable option.

Does anybody have gear for this type of situation and/or can share some first hand experience?
First, figure out where the fire escapes and whatnot are. Those are way safer than a rope.

Second, remmeber that what you anchor to is vastly important, as it how you anchor it. I'm not sure how you would tie a fastrope to a windowsill, but jsut remember that whatever you're trying off to needs to be able to hold your weight, the weight of the rope (fastrope is a heavy biznatch) and the forces of the wind or whatever else on your way down.

Lastly, if the building is burning, rapelling is right out. Unlike the movies, strapping up to make sure you're not gonna die takes more than just a few seconds, and if it's bad enough that you're going out a window I wouldn't be surprised if you looked up to see a coworker tryign to use the line.

Fire exits. Seriously.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:51 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
TangoBravo81 wrote:But when it comes to an escape situation this climbing skill might certainly come in handy. Mainly I am thinking about ways to GTFO of a burning building or something. My office, for instance is on the 3rd floor and in case I cannot get out through the front door I would like to be able to pull out some gear to facilitate getting out. I have purchased a climbing harness (Petzl), a few carabiners (Mammut) and a belay (Black Diamond) already, now I still need some rope and have to learn how to use that stuff to abseil from a given height. My apartment is on the 2nd floor, with some solid railing to tie or hook abseiling gear to.

First, figure out where the fire escapes and whatnot are. Those are way safer than a rope.

Second, remmeber that what you anchor to is vastly important, as it how you anchor it. I'm not sure how you would tie a fastrope to a windowsill, but jsut remember that whatever you're trying off to needs to be able to hold your weight, the weight of the rope (fastrope is a heavy biznatch) and the forces of the wind or whatever else on your way down.

Lastly, if the building is burning, rapelling is right out. Unlike the movies, strapping up to make sure you're not gonna die takes more than just a few seconds, and if it's bad enough that you're going out a window I wouldn't be surprised if you looked up to see a coworker tryign to use the line.

Fire exits. Seriously.
Hope this thread hasn't died TOO badly...
Seriously, if you plan on using a pipe to hook onto, think things out WELL, and well beforehand. Most pipes these days are either plastic or copper (and often painted over), and can look like a steel pipe to the casual observer. Neither WORKS like steel, tho, and plastic not only softens with heat, but catches FIRE. Just as you would really HATE to look back up at the window you left by, to see the radiator you tied off to juuuuuust cresting the sill, it would well and truly suck to have the supposedly 'solid' pipe give way whenever. Fire exits should, and I believe WOULD ,be preferable, but having a back-up plan is always a good thing. Just be sure that plan B is workable.

Return to “Urban Skillz”