10 Rules for Dealing with Police

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Re: 10 Rules for Dealing with Police

Post by Braxton » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Spookadelic wrote:Illinois is one of the states that requires both parties to be informed that a telephone call is being recorded.
Illinois is one of the few states where concealed carry is not allow.
Illinois doesn't have voter recall of governors.
etc.
Makes you wonder who Illinois is protecting....
I can't comment due to forum rules. This is not the place to drag that shit out. If the mods let this go on I will be surprised.

If you want to hear me go off like a FUCKING BOMMM send me a pm...
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:48 pm

I carry this card in my pocket, it's usually handed out at political protests. It has the do's and don't's of when you're stopped by police. Mainly I just try to be polite and not answer questions they have no need to be answered. They can't do shit to you if you don't talk and that is your right. Showing respect will earn their respect and you generally just get let go.

I'd go figure out where the card came from but it's in an old wallet that I no longer use.

CryHavoc

Post by CryHavoc » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:09 pm

Was it something like this:

http://www.nyclu.org/files/publications ... nglish.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's another:

http://www.aclu.org/files/assets/bustca ... 100630.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zombie women love me for my Braaaains!
If the 'Zombie Apocalypse' started today, how would you know somebody wasn't just filming a movie?
A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
KnightoftheRoc wrote:The end result is, you can't convince a closed mind, and you don't need to convince an open one.

Shmerlin

Post by Shmerlin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:04 pm

I wasn't filming you officer, I'm filming the scenery behind what ever it is you're standing infront of ..... :D
Dinner Adventures, My restuarant review blog.

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:24 pm

It's the ACLU card. I should hunt down which box that wallet is in. I didn't carry one for about three years, just my ID and one credit card until yesterday when I bought a money clip that can carry cards.

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Status Quo

CryHavoc

Post by CryHavoc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:49 pm

Federal Judge Says There's No First Amendment Right to Record the Cops

Federal District Court Judge Suzanne Conlon has dismissed (PDF) an ACLU challenge to the Illinois law that makes recording someone in a public space without their permission a felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison.
http://reason.com/blog/2011/01/19/feder ... heres-no-f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't understand this. After I had read a few posts in this thread about this, I did a little research. Illinois already overturned a case about this where a member of the Press was arrested after recording a Police Officer. The Press Reporter's First Amendment rights were upheld. The ACLU must not have been aware of that case. Or the Judge. It would have held as precedence in the ACLU case.
If the 'Zombie Apocalypse' started today, how would you know somebody wasn't just filming a movie?
KnightoftheRoc wrote:The end result is, you can't convince a closed mind, and you don't need to convince an open one.

Istvan56
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead & Night of the Living Dead

Post by Istvan56 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:33 am

deleted by poster
Last edited by Istvan56 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CryHavoc

Post by CryHavoc » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:38 am

Thanks for the breakdown! Sorry I didn't get back to this right away.

Here's what I'm going by, Istvan56. From the FBI.gov website:
Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242
Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law

This statute makes it a crime for any person acting under color of law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom to willfully deprive or cause to be deprived from any person those rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution and laws of the U.S.
It goes on to say:
This law further prohibits a person acting under color of law, statute, ordinance, regulation or custom to willfully subject or cause to be subjected any person to different punishments, pains, or penalties, than those prescribed for punishment of citizens on account of such person being an alien or by reason of his/her color or race.

Acts under "color of any law" include acts not only done by federal, state, or local officials within the bounds or limits of their lawful authority, but also acts done without and beyond the bounds of their lawful authority; provided that, in order for unlawful acts of any official to be done under "color of any law," the unlawful acts must be done while such official is purporting or pretending to act in the performance of his/her official duties. This definition includes, in addition to law enforcement officials, individuals such as Mayors, Council persons, Judges, Nursing Home Proprietors, Security Guards, etc., persons who are bound by laws, statutes ordinances, or customs.

Punishment varies from a fine or imprisonment of up to one year, or both, and if bodily injury results or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire shall be fined or imprisoned up to ten years or both, and if death results, or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.
So, to me it sounds like what it's saying is that no one acting under the color of law can deprive you of your rights, AND that no one who is an alien or a person of color or because of their race can be treat differently under the law. It sounds like two different things to me.

If what you are saying is true, then I think they need to reword what it says on the official FBI website, because it sounds like the law is covering two separate issues.
Last edited by CryHavoc on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Titanic... What?
New favorite "Zombie Strippers!"

Post by Buck » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:54 am

CryHavoc wrote:10 Rules for Dealing with Police. From the Huffington Post. Scroll down to the slideshow with all 10 rules. These are especially important for people legally transporting Firearms.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neill-fra ... ml#s182278" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mods, I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not...
That was good...
This is better
http://www.webtvhub.com/never-talk-to-c ... amendment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead. "
— Jimmy Buffett

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:35 am

Here's an aspect that might be worth noting: be careful "helping" the police in good faith when you have no idea what is going on. There is a case in New Jersey now wherein "good samaritans" jumped in to help a police officer subduing a man in front of a convenience store. The (innocent) man died from traumatic asphyxiation caused by the effects of OC spray and the weight of bodies on top of him. Now the police officers involved-- and the bystanders that got involved-- are being sued in Federal court.

Note that the police officers named in the suit have taxpayer-funded defense attorneys. The other parties will be paying for their own defense.
Three strangers from South Jersey became good Samaritans for a few frantic minutes outside a Wawa last year when they helped a police officer subdue a man in the parking lot.

That man, Keith Briscoe, apparently had done nothing wrong, though, and died beneath a pile of civilians and police officers. Now, the Winslow Township officer who initiated the arrest is no longer on the force, and he, those "good Samaritans" and four current officers are defendants in a $25 million civil lawsuit filed on behalf of Briscoe's family.

More information here.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

humanoddity

Post by humanoddity » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:20 am

the_alias wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; part 2
Those are excellent videos, thanks for sharing!

Ateo Wolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: George Romero movies.

Post by Ateo Wolf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:24 pm

I know this may be out of turn, but I had watched this video a long time ago and it's done nothing but help me the few times I had been confronted by police officers since, a vehicular stop, and pedestrian stops. I have a bad subconscious habit of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or looking similar to someone else not too far away that pulled the "dumb-ass" card from his sleeve and made boo-boo. But yeah, the most important thing to remember when dealing with law enforcement is to stay calm and try to emulate things shown in the video. Of course, scenarios and reactions will vary due to circumstance.

How to handle a police stop

Hope this additional information is useful.
Bad is never good until worse happens.

theotherryan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Old school Romero.

Post by theotherryan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:51 pm

To me rule #1 is don't deal with the police. I'm not saying that you always lose when you talk to the cops but you certainly do not lose when you don't talk to them. To facilitate this use common sense. Drive the speed limit, don't get stupid drunk or don't do blatantly illegal things in public. Sure if I saw a violent felony being comitted on an innocent citizen I would probably call the cops but otherwise I avoid interacting with them.
Take care of eachother

http://tslrf.blogspot.de/

OnFire

Post by OnFire » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:02 am

theotherryan wrote:To me rule #1 is don't deal with the police. I'm not saying that you always lose when you talk to the cops but you certainly do not lose when you don't talk to them. To facilitate this use common sense. Drive the speed limit, don't get stupid drunk or don't do blatantly illegal things in public. Sure if I saw a violent felony being comitted on an innocent citizen I would probably call the cops but otherwise I avoid interacting with them.
This sums up how I have stayed out of trouble and friendly with the local pd/so. Some don't even try and ask me anything in an official capacity anymore. They know I'm a nice guy but I'm not saying mix if you're in cop mode. Stupid things, stupid places, stupid people. Pick two, you can't have all three and win.

cityscout

Post by cityscout » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:36 am

When I was working on my criminal justice degree I learned how much I do not like the police. The problem isn't that they are bad people. Most of them are great. The problem is that they try to protect their friends and coworkers. Trying to look out for your friends does not make you a bad person. The problem is that it interferes with "serve and protect".

I had a friend sent me this. It is an interesting story about police dealing with police.
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a ... ain-silent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:17 am

vahtryn wrote:I carry this card in my pocket, it's usually handed out at political protests. It has the do's and don't's of when you're stopped by police. Mainly I just try to be polite and not answer questions they have no need to be answered. They can't do shit to you if you don't talk and that is your right. Showing respect will earn their respect and you generally just get let go.

I would be careful playing the "you don't need to know that" card. If your not doing anything wrong, just take 5 min to answer a few questions and then be on your way. Yes, it can be wildly obnoxious but it's better than being carted off to jail for some failure to cooperate crap. You don't have to let them search your car but if you don't they're just going to detain you, tow the car, and get a warrant. I was walking home from a buddy's house at 4am and I got stopped by an LEO. He took my knife off me, asked me a few questions, gave me my knife back and I was on my way. Yes it was obnoxious but I got to sleep in my own bed. If I had said "none of your business" thing's probably would have worked out differently.

Just my opinion of course.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:28 am

CryHavoc wrote:Thanks for the breakdown! Sorry I didn't get back to this right away.

Here's what I'm going by, Istvan56. From the FBI.gov website:
Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242
Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law

This statute makes it a crime for any person acting under color of law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom to willfully deprive or cause to be deprived from any person those rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution and laws of the U.S.
Hopefully not straying into Dark Territory, like Steven Seagal on that train, but I digress.

But to get this prosecuted by the Government you generally have to be a protected class and it has to be very extreme like getting sexually assaulted in a police precinct bathroom by the police. The government is a big monolithic organization and it doesn't move very fast unless it's in its best interests to.

Minor violations will not get their attention.

IMO #1 rule should be don't be doing things in places that will invoke the Police's curiosity.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

CryHavoc

Post by CryHavoc » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:50 pm

Phoenix David wrote:But to get this prosecuted by the Government you generally have to be a protected class...
See, this is part of the problem. The first part of the law has nothing to do with a 'Protected Class'. It's only in the second part of the law that it talks about discrimination, racism, etc...

The whole law isn't being prosecuted. Only part of it.
cityscout wrote:The problem is that they try to protect their friends and coworkers.
Look up 'Blue Code of Silence'. Some precincts are really bad.

lokifz1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.

Post by lokifz1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:49 pm

At least start out being nice it goes a long way.

Don't break the law

Internetz lawyers are not real life Perry masons
Beretta accept no substitute.

Ncdave

Post by Ncdave » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Actually not speaking to the cops sometimes can get you into trouble. I think it depends on the totality of the circumstances you are in. I think it is best for people to use common sense when dealing with police, what I mean is don't not answer questions because you read it online or heard some horror story. You dont have to answer any question asked by Leo during contact. But at the same time if an officer is conducting an investigative stop he/she( the officer) thinks you are the suspect in a crime that just occurred you could be detained or arrested for resist hinder & delay. I know it sounds like BS but most of the time the suspects lie and don't answer questions to.

I guess I am trying say is if an officer is stopping you for investigative purpose he/she has already developed reasonable suspicion( which means you are or have done something that made said officer go hhhmmm, but he/she does not have enough evidence to arrest you yet). During his/her contact with you may determiner weather he/she then develops probable cause which is need for arrest.

I just want to avoid people getting in hot water because they thought they were playing it safe.

Oh and never run, the only thing you do is put bystanders and other Leo at risk during the chase. Yes even on foot because everyone is trying to get to their fellow officer to help him quick. And then you will probably just get charged with other things you may not have been.
"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone, and evil men want you dead, only then will you have done your share."

MTSNIPER

Post by MTSNIPER » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:55 am

It amazes me how many people think every cop is out to get you. I am a Deputy Sheriff and it makes me laugh at all the internet lawyers out there. "If a cop talks to me, I'll just pull out my card and won't answer questions." give me a break people. Not every cop is trying to take your rights away. I'm glad I joined this forum so I can see all the cop hating and bashing going on. You think if we get into a zombie/ wrol situation cops are gunna still be on duty. Im not, Ill be at home protecting my family.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:05 pm

MTSNIPER wrote:It amazes me how many people think every cop is out to get you. I am a Deputy Sheriff and it makes me laugh at all the internet lawyers out there. "If a cop talks to me, I'll just pull out my card and won't answer questions." give me a break people. Not every cop is trying to take your rights away. I'm glad I joined this forum so I can see all the cop hating and bashing going on. You think if we get into a zombie/ wrol situation cops are gunna still be on duty. Im not, Ill be at home protecting my family.
I don't see it as a hate or bash situation.

I see it more like business. Cops have authority over me. We might disagree on what we think I should be doing. So there's not much reason for me to divulge what I am/will be doing, since I don't know when/what we'll disagree on. There's nothing in that saying I will be a dick or not be polite and friendly, but just like every other social exchange, some things are my business and mine alone. I can decide who I tell my personal information to, and that's no different for police, to a point. Just like how I don't tell my boss everything I do. He has an authority over me by being in charge of my employment - so I don't exactly divulge 100% of my activity and time spent to him. Like what I'm doing on the clock right now, as I post this to the forum :P He allows a certain bit of fucking-off at work for morale, but I have no need to alert him every time I do so, and invite a confrontation.

If you see any actual police bashing, feel free to report the posts - we don't tolerate that shit here.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Please do MTSNIPER, if you see any cop bashing report it to us mods. We will deal with it. I assure you it will be fair in accordance to our rules though it may not be congruant to your opinion.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Return to “Urban Skillz”