My Urban Preparation.

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Thorake

My Urban Preparation.

Post by Thorake » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:15 am

I was talking with a friend of mine who for the last 5 yrs plus has been homeless.
Thing is he is truly happy being homeless and would not have it any other way.
The thing is his urban survival skills are amazing due to what he learned from living on the streets.
He usually moves around a lot so he can keep with the warm weather.
Some times he will kick it and he will do well during winter by using a smallish tarp or garbage bags, some cardboard boxes and some news paper to make his shelter.
He is actually in really good health.
He eats a highly good amount due to his knowledge on how to get food.
Some times he pan handles or goes to the store when they are about to toss the deli and get free food that way.
Some times he will go on a walk and stop by near apple and pear trees he knows of.
From what I seen its not rare for him to set up a snare trap and catch pidgeons and other small rodents.

So I think I am going to go be homeless for a about two weeks.
See what I can learn from all that.
In the process I really really want to keep a small journal of every thing that I learn.
To pretty much describe how it was to be homeless for those two weeks.
Thing is in those two weeks I am not going to pan handle or hit up areas for free food.
Its going to come down to me finding it and getting it for myself.
Which is not hard seeing as there about 40 billion squirrels in a one block radius pretty much.

Things I will be taking with me on this adventure would be this.

Pair of old worn out jeans (No holes in them)
Pair of old boots.
worn out cap.
two pairs of socks.
Worn out shirt. (One short and one long sleeve)
One extra pair of underwear.
Worn out coat.
Worn out back pack.
Worn out 10x12 tarp.
Worn out rain poncho
2lb hobo stove made from a coffee can.
About 20 feet of rope.
A gatorade bottle.
Also a my heavily use ka bar (Still in amazing shape)
Seeing as I might be put into harms way.
I am going to pack my 22 magnum mini revolver (Which I got my conceal permit and all)

That would be the only stuff I would be taking.
Every thing else I would have to scavenge for.

I will not be traveling alone for this.
My homeless friend decided to tag along so safety in numbers.
I know the area and I know the cops a good amount so that's a plus.
If I am in any true true danger then this experiment will end right then and there and I will leave the area.

So would any one be interested in me posting what I learn when I am done?
Or do you all think I am just a fool for doing this??

Also I am doing this to help further my self.

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Re: My Urban Preparation.

Post by Lucretius » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:50 am

1. Be careful out there.

2. Since you seem set on doing this, I won't advice against it. But since you're doing it, please share anything you learn.

3. Are the jeans for a "grey man" approach, or have you no fancier pants? Fancy pants can mean the difference between hypothermia and comfort. Besides, fancy pants have more and better pockets, which should be a useful thing when you don't have a home to store useful stuff in. Pockets are good. Cotton is evil. Fancy pants have more pockets and less cotton.

4. Keep your feet dry.
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

Thorake

Post by Thorake » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:59 am

The jeans I have are good old work jeans.
Nothing fancy but they do the job.

Also forgot to put a semi decent worn out sleeping bag that I have had for years on the list.

I plan on sharing all I can that I learn on this trip.

Keeping feet dry is the most important.
Thank god wet season wont be here for like another month and a half.

One thing I am not looking forward to......
My clothes smelling like a dead body ewww.

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:11 am

No tarp? No tent?

Then I'd ditch the sleeping bag in favour of a wool blanket. And a garbage bag.
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

Thorake

Post by Thorake » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:20 am

No I have a tarp. Its a 10x12 tarp.
Even says on the list.

I am going with this sleeping bag cause my mom actually made it a long time ago.
Outside of it is some water resistant crap.
Then i has like a inner wool lining.
It works very well at keeping me warm.

DaJoker

Post by DaJoker » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:24 am

Sounds like you have everything pretty much squared away, safety in numbers is a definite plus. Nearly a necessity from what I've heard from homeless I know. Good luck to ya man! I look forward to hearing what you learned.
NLM FEMA8 Knucklebuster
"Man's true profession is to find the road to himself." Thomas Hobbes
“Showing reality always makes the best propaganda.” Taliban member quoted in Newsweek
M1A/5.7x28mm/Green Wire/Pie

Thorake

Post by Thorake » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:29 am

Thank you Joker.
I am trying to go into this as best prepared that I can go.
Hell if this adventure is a hit with every one.
I might do it again later in time but hitch hike from WA to TX like I have done before.
This time make it more of a survival thing.

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:00 am

You write like
These are song lyrics
But your
Shit don't rhyme
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:05 am

I always understood preparation to be to avoid living homeless :?

I mean sounds like an interesting experiment and would have a read of what you experienced but if your 'urban preparation' is to become homeless in the case of SHTF then that needs a rethink.

Stay safe on your travels anyhow.
Man is a beast of prey

Thorake

Post by Thorake » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:41 am

@stab
If I did not write this way.
I am sure it would piss ppl of due to lack of commas and stuff of that nature.

@Alias.
I avoid becoming homeless at all cost.
Lets say that there was a natural disaster and pretty much every building was fucked.
Then I kinda got to live outside on the streets.
Or if SHTF and I had to slowly move out of town on foot.
I am pretty much playing the roll of a homeless person until I got to my BOL.
Look at hurricane Katrina and how many ppl were homeless.
They were all trying to bug out to a safer location

I am just learning the does and don'ts incase a situation every comes up.
If it does then at least I got a lil first hand knowledge.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:01 am

I hate to be the bad guy here but you may not want to take your pistol. You stated you have a CCW permit. I feel it'd be in your interest to know that if you are "homeless" is some areas you can be arrested for being "homeless" which is breaking the law and can be in violation of the permit regulations. Likewise, you can be charged with vagarncy, pan handling, or trespassing. If you are carrying even with a permit you can have your permit revoked.
Just something to think about.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Thorake

Post by Thorake » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:27 am

The thing is I am not going to panhandle for starters.
The cops I am not worried about due to my bro being a fine officer of the law around there for the last ten yrs.
So I been very lucky to pretty much know 2/3 of the officers on a first name basis that patrol that area.
The reason for the area I am picking is cause I know that the homeless there wont get arrested but simply asked to go else where if disturbing ppl there during the day.
My bro told me to carry my fire arm incase any thing would happen.
That he would spread the word around so that if any cops harass me they know who I am already.
Fuck knowing my bro he probably told them to harass me lol.
Thank you though for the warning.

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:32 am

Thorake wrote:@stab
If I did not write this way.
I am sure it would piss ppl of due to lack of commas and stuff of that nature.
Maybe your time would be better spent learning the basics of the English language, instead of pretending to be homeless. Or even better still, you could volunteer your time at a soup kitchen or such, and actually help the homeless.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

movieman1500
Favorite Zombie Movies: White Zombie, Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by movieman1500 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:15 am

I was homeless for about two years in and lived better than I do now and I highly recommend everyone does it at least for 6 months. I commend you on your choice although when I did it I had none, you will learn about
1. Traveling light and comfortable,
2. Survival,
3. People
4. Most of all that you do not need all the fancy trappings we call necessities

Good luck and post your experiences when finished :D

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:43 pm

I've been an advocate of doing just what you're planning, despite some rather high-and-mighty indignation from people who don't seem to grasp the idea, and probably never will. I don't live in such a large city that I couldn't walk out of it inside of a day, no matter how badly it was trashed by a disaster. But, I think that learning some urban survival skills would be a definite plus for anyone, especially those who do live in the larger cities. We talk about bugging out, going grey man, etc. but few people have a plan on how to REALISTICALLY survive until they do manage to get out of the city. Learning from someone who's lived that life and is willing to teach you- well, that's just manna from heaven.
Suppose an earthquake hits- they give no warning, so you have no chance to head out and beat the crowds, so to speak. Can you think of a better grey man look than being just another "homeless bum"? Nobody thinks to rob them, as they KNOW they have nothing to steal. In many larger cities, they don't even get noticed- a sad statement of our society's outlook on things, but in this case, an advantage to exploit.
So, yes- PLEASE post your notes on this adventure. Also, keep your photo ID with you in addition to your CC permit. That will prove not only who you are, but that you have a fixed address, and are, in fact, NOT homeless, preventing them from charging you with vagrancy. So far, it's not a crime to dress in dirty clothes or go without showering, it's just not acceptable in society.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Moved to Urban Skillz, yo.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:13 pm

Sounds awesome dude. Personally I'd try doing a Hobbo trip, jumping trains and traveling the lower 48 wit ha buddy or two.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Hopping trains is inherently dangerous, not to mention illegal- I'd avoid that.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:56 pm

While I really think your proposed endeavor has merit and a good chance gaining a ton valuable knowledge, One of them ‘media idiots’ beat you to the punch: Back on January 1991 and again on 1995, Chicago journalist/anchorman/TV personality Walter Jacobson did a similar experiment –truth be told it was more of a “we need the ratings for sweeps so let’s come up with some sort of socially aware stunt- check the Wikipedia listing on him, I remember watching footage on Fox Chicago News (it was supposed to be a 2 week piece) and due to the fact that he had a camera crew following him around (albeit at a distance, but seriously: How many homeless guys are trailed by a camera crew, unless someone is about to jump/arrest them?) the integrity of the experience was compromised; on top of that when local competing TV stations and ‘Morning Zoo’ DJs got wind of it they all set about mocking on the affair on their own broadcasts –and in at least one instance- trolling him IRL. A DJ sent one of his cohorts to harass Jacobson while speaking on a cellphone to the radio show.
I wonder if any of that footage is available out there anywhere.
While it was a media stunt and not an experiment, he did come across several unexpected (as well as damn obvious) findings: Apparently (at least in a metropolitan setting as Downtown Chicago) it is easy enough for a homeless person to scavenge for food and shelter that the individual ends up with an inordinate amount of idle time. That bit rather surprised me, but to see him hanging out with real homeless people, whom after taking care of their very basic needs seemed to just lounge around public spaces and people watch a lot, was surreal. He mentioned that boredom was a big part of the day, then again it being winter in Chicago there isn’t much to do outdoors without risking frostbite.
I am happy that you are doing this during the summer, since the idea of attempting it during the winter would add another level of stress and complications on yourself.

Best of luck and be safe! Looking forward to your safe return and posting of your experience
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

Laconic 24
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead.

Post by Laconic 24 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Wow, that's some dedication to preparedness.

I'm really interested in your lessons learned when you're done, be sure to post up about that.

Keep safe, learn a lot, and share it with us. Maybe you should bring a camera too?

Thorake

Post by Thorake » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:01 am

@Mr_slappy
I do remember it.
I also remember having more then five homeless ppl laugh at the guy.
Thought his work was just a bunch of crap.
Which is funny hearing that come from homeless but they actually stay in touch with the news and all that.
The thing is I am doing this for myself.
You can read and read and read but it wont help you out unless you get first hand experience.

@Laconic
I would like to bring a camera.
It's going to have to be one of those crappy throw away ones.
If I show any thing of value that makes me a target for other ppl to try to take my stuff.
Ty and I will stay safe and learn.

@Kents
I've actually hitched hiked from WA state to Texas.
I had money saved up so every night I actually got a room at some cheap hotel.
I did train hop twice and though it does save time.
I have to agree with knight and say it is dangerous and one should not do it due to it being illegal.

@Knight
I am going to be doing this in downtown Seattle.
So it would take a while to walk out of which I plan on doing.
I am happy to have my friend come along.
If I did not have his knowledge this would be an even bigger pain to do.
I agree with you about how to move around and that moving around as a homeless person is a very good idea.
I would love to throw on a chest rig and go out armed to the teeth.
In all reality that just makes me a target.
I want to be unseen by most and just blend in.
Keeping my ID and all my personal paper work hidden on me.
I also informed all my family that in the invent the cops call.
They can confirm that I am not homeless and this is just a learning lesson.

@Murph
Or I can just not be lazy and put the commas and all that in.
My writing is actually college lvl.
I just don't care enough to use in unless truly needed like at work etc.
Also doing this would help me understand homeless a lil bit more and that would in fact be able for me to help them better.
From what I found out 2/3 of the homeless that are pan handling are doing it so they can buy alcohol, cigs, and other stuff they can't just easily get like food.
Due to the fact that they have no real problem finding food (Which I asked around today and found out that they usually toss a lot of food due to having to much. Cause they get 200 dollars in EBT a month and then business just give them food too at the end of the day.)
Also on one more thing.
The ones I simply talked to today.
I helped them out far more then any soup kitchen would ever have.
I did that cause I actually talked with them and accept them as a human being instead of some piece of trash.
Every single one thank me for that and actually had two crying over that.

@Movie
My friend would agree with you on the living better homeless then doing now.
Even though he is still homeless and highly enjoys it lol.
If I did not have a family and if I could I would so go for 6 months to do it.
You know how it goes when you got mouths to feed and bills to pay.
Highly thanks for your comment.

I am going to keep a nice day to day writing of every thing I do to great detail.
I am going to get a few throw away cameras and see if a friend can find me every other day and snag some pics with a digi cam for me.
While doing this I am going to also keep track of any convos I have with other homeless.
Just to get their side of the story and get their input on how to survive.

Also forgot to throw in a crappy dollar store lighter.

DaJoker

Post by DaJoker » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:33 am

May I suggest getting a cheap $20 voice recorder to keep a record of conversations? Geeze, now I want to try this as much for the experience as for study (psych major). Maybe this coming winter break...
NLM FEMA8 Knucklebuster
"Man's true profession is to find the road to himself." Thomas Hobbes
“Showing reality always makes the best propaganda.” Taliban member quoted in Newsweek
M1A/5.7x28mm/Green Wire/Pie

Thorake

Post by Thorake » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:55 am

@Joker
I did not think about getting one of those.
Hell it would save me a lot of time instead of having to write every thing down.
Many thanks Joker.

stu_wat

Post by stu_wat » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:15 pm

Good luck with it all looking foward to the full report.

When you starting this exercise?

Return to “Urban Skillz”