Testing the phone/ipod pedometer.

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Testing the phone/ipod pedometer.

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:44 am

I always seem to have an issue with pedometers. They never seem to work right and eventually get lost because of their small size so decided to test out the one in an Apple device. Ok the program can do more than just measure distance but really unless the pedometer actually works it's kinda worthless to me. Why a pedometer? To take some of the guesswork out of distance traveled in the woods or road when on foot. I guess that's the point. I have used a separate hand held GPS for this purpose as well but sometimes the distances when traveling over steep hills have not matched with reality or maybe what I thought it should be. So started to test out the Ipod/Iphone pedometer today.

I jogged 5.25 trail miles before dinner and then an unknown but guessing around 3 mile on the road after eating. How did it match up with my expectations of distance? I was going at a jogging but not running pace. Normally this device isn't on my person.

Seems rather near the jogging distance done today. Maybe a tool to work out distance and cross reference that with the Garmin handheld GPS for future testing? Also a ride to the trail in my truck didn't measure anything so it's not GPS based or at least that's what I think.

Probably old news to most but kinda interesting for me.
Last edited by Woods Walker on Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

modustollens

Re: Testing the phone/ipod pedometer.

Post by modustollens » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:59 am

I have one of these on my phone and it usually sends me alerts telling me I should be more active (that is, not to be so lazy). I should carry the phone during my hockey games so it will leave me alone.

MT
My homemade stove:Homemade Backpack Stove
Radio Page: VE3EFQ

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:08 pm

I am unfamiliar with phone pedometers, but I assume they just work off the accelerometer used to tell if the phone is in portrait or landscape orientation. It should be fairly accurate on how many steps you take. Your distance traveled per step, on the other hand, needs to be calibrated. Taking 10,000 steps is one thing; determining if that equals ten kilometers of 15 kilometers is another. My Garmin watch does this with both GPS and an accelerometer. By knowing my stride length I can theoretically get near GPS accuracy when out of satellite signal (i.e. indoors).

Most phones have GPS, right? I'd guess that it works similar to my Garmin, so it should be pretty accurate on distance.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:05 pm

Tried it again but this time used a new flashlight during the night run. Normally use a headlamp but wanted to test out some gear.

New M61LL.

Today's info.

Combining a few days.

I had a few pics from the night trail run but this forum said they were too big (just) to post and don't want to spend the time to resize a few blurry night photos from a mobile's camera.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:21 pm

modustollens wrote:I have one of these on my phone and it usually sends me alerts telling me I should be more active (that is, not to be so lazy). I should carry the phone during my hockey games so it will leave me alone.

MT
Hockey games and hanging out at the local Canadian tire eh.......... :D

modustollens

Post by modustollens » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:32 pm

Canadian Tire - a.k.a, Crappy Tire (or the more apt nomenclature, 'made in China tire') - that's where I bought the hardware to make my winter pulk (I think I bought the sled there too).

I play hockey outside. Two hours Saturday and Sunday when the ice is ready. Anyway, I stashed my GPS in my pocket to collect some data: 25 km in 2 hours. That burnt off a few calories I am sure!

MT
My homemade stove:Homemade Backpack Stove
Radio Page: VE3EFQ

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:44 am

modustollens wrote:Canadian Tire - a.k.a, Crappy Tire (or the more apt nomenclature, 'made in China tire') - that's where I bought the hardware to make my winter pulk (I think I bought the sled there too).

I play hockey outside. Two hours Saturday and Sunday when the ice is ready. Anyway, I stashed my GPS in my pocket to collect some data: 25 km in 2 hours. That burnt off a few calories I am sure!

MT
No question about that. :clap:

Today I tested it with two runs of 5.25 miles each. They were on the same dirt road aka no harder trails. Also keep the device with me all day to see if driving longer distances plays a part aka somehow gets recorded.

Seemed spot on. The extra distance were from normal walking about. Kinda amazing how much more ground is covered when jogging even at a relaxed pace. The last run occurred late so messed around with my new flashlight drop-in.

Still warm enough for shorts. Kinda strange. I can't help feeling the hammer is going to come down any second.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:06 am

So let us see how the week worked out. I only carried this device when trail and road jogging. There was also a few miles hiking mixed in when things got too rough.

So for the week of Dec 6-13 we have a total of 53.21 miles jogged if my math is correct. Most of that was done at night.

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:21 am

Nice. I ran my first four marathons maxing out less than that. Are you training for anything specific, or are you just keeping in shape?

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:24 am

Trippy wrote:Nice. I ran my first four marathons maxing out less than that. Are you training for anything specific, or are you just keeping in shape?
Diabetes and hypertension put me in the ER last year. These days my resting heart rate is in the low 60's, sometimes high 50's. BP dropped from 158/100 to 105/72. A1C from 13 to 5.6. All without meds. Lost a ton of weight as well.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:20 am

I have increased the dose. So the 4 day total is ... 49.89 miles most of which is trail running. Jogged on nice local trail today

12.9 miles.

looking scruffy. Probably spooked a few women joggers.

Grapes

Stream crossing. One side than the other. Had to walk for that as didn't want to fall in with my phone. Sorry for the phone pics but again didn't want to lug the camera gear.

Nice day.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:31 am

The default apple app Health functionality is pretty solid. As the iterations have passed they've made huge improvements in readability.

I've spent a fair amount of time with Fitbit and Jawbone devices. For people who are curious about these types of things the first thing I suggest for them is to use the free Health app and the free MyFitnessPal app. Health does a decent job of tracking distance and getting a rough idea of calories burned and MyFitnessPal's ability to track food is way better than the alternatives with either Jawbone or Fitbit. Even when I'm actively tracking diet and exercise I will use Fitbit for calorie burn and MyFitnessPal for calorie intake (it communicates the important stuff back to Fitbit).

For substantial outdoor walks, trail running and the like I use something else though.

I think you would get a lot of good usage out of Motion X GPS in the app store. It costs a couple dollars but it's way, way ahead of anything else I've seen.

I used these to track runs through hilly terrain to keep track of not just peak speed or average speed, but when it dipped and waned over time (useful when it doesn't correlate to elevation changes, which it will also show). It does a great job of presenting the information from a run to the user.

So, not only will it give you the details of the run itself (time, distance, average speed, top speed, ascension, descent), it will give you a detailed map of the route you took. And, if you were taking pictures along your route it shoes you were you were when you took those pictures (making it easier to go back and find the exact spot where you got that one great view or that one campsite or whatever). I also like a feature that you can turn on or off where it gives you updates as time passes. Mine is set to give me distance and speed every 5 minute interval (of course that can be modified in lots of different ways), and they have it blend well with music when you have that going.

GPS works outside of cell or data reception. But, getting the images for the maps on your phone will require data. There's a work around for that though if you're in an area or going to an area without any data. You can download the maps ahead of time and you won't need to worry about data usage to view map details.

I've used this software on hikes, trail running, and backpacking. Including areas with no data reception. I've not jumped into the world of apple watches yet, so I can't speak to the functionality of the watch companion app.

This is really, really fantastic software and it costs less than a coffee.

Return to “Urban Skillz”