A Journey Into Getting Healthy

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zero11010

A Journey Into Getting Healthy

Post by zero11010 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:06 pm

Rhetorical question: How well do you understand fitness?

4 nerds from a youtube channel undergo an intensive fitness camp. They go to one of the premiere trainers in Hollywood who works with them on diet and exercise.

Most people don't really understand fitness. This series goes a pretty long way into making the process of understanding the topic both entertaining, and accessible.

The Last Supper. This is just the announcement.

Measurements are taken. Ep1.

The training begins! Ep2.

Transformation starts. Ep 3.

Don't cheat! Ep 4.

Watch out for injuries. Ep 5.

Halfway! Ep 6.

Progress is visible.

zero11010

Re: A Journey Into Getting Healthy

Post by zero11010 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:26 am

3 and a half weeks to reach their goals, the team is getting frustrated.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:44 pm

Haven't watched this but it is interesting they are picking his Hollywood fitness guy who gets people ready for film roles.

This article is a very interesting take on that http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/bui ... o-20140418 and how films are shot around shirtless scenes and peaking and blah blah blah.

That most people don't understand fitness is a culture failing to pass on the right lessons (not just American either, most of the world). It really isn't that hard; eat right, be active.
Man is a beast of prey

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:00 am

Ep 9.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:14 pm

the_alias wrote: That most people don't understand fitness is a culture failing to pass on the right lessons (not just American either, most of the world). It really isn't that hard; eat right, be active.
That's it. Right there. I lost around 70 pounds in 7 months and never counted a single calorie or gave a rat's ass what my biceps look like. Today I fast hiked up a mountain then ran around it going back to my truck. Ate some wild berries and drank all of 8 oz of fluids during the hike finishing off the rest in my truck. It's 92 F with 92 percent humidity. I don't even think my breathing was particularly high. Eye gnats accounted for the majority of my stress.

1. Weight fell from 298 to 229.
2. A1C from 13 to 7 to 6.1 and now my meter shows an average of 97 so what's that? Some place in the 5s?
3. Blood pressure was 160/100 now 110/75.

No pills or other bullshit the system pushes on people. I don't eat processed foods. I don't drink soda as it's toxic. If it is in a box or wrapper it's not for me.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:45 pm

New body weight low of 228.

Today's stats.

BP 107/76

Blood sugar this morning. That's down 201 points from my previous high fasting number.

Being fit inside also counts.

procyon

Post by procyon » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:18 pm

Woods Walker wrote:New body weight low of 228.

Today's stats.

BP 107/76

Blood sugar this morning. That's down 201 points from my previous high fasting number.

Very nice. Way to go. :clap:
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:13 pm

procyon wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:New body weight low of 228.

Today's stats.

BP 107/76

Very nice. Way to go. :clap:
Thanks brother. Ran 6.5 miles today and didn't even breath hard. Not even sure my heart rate really increased all that much. I test my blood sugar twice a day, once in the AM and again 2 hours after eating my last meal of the day. Sometimes in the middle of the day as well.

First thing in the AM... Goal set for me by the RN was below 100.

30 day average is 88
14 day average is 87
7 day average is 85

Two hours after eating... Goal set for me by the RN was below 170.

30 day average is 104
14 day average is 104
7 day average is 103

I do occasionally test in the middle of the day so those combined with the other data produces an all results average.

30 day average is 96
14 day average is 95
7 day average is 94

But it's not easy. Today as everyone was eating pizza at a restaurant I ordered a salad. During a family gathering the day before I watched as people munched on cup cakes. Dang those smelled great. Decisions are made one meal at a time to do the right thing. The meals are transitory but the gains are not. I am working on a trip report for 4 days 3 nights through the hills last weekend. I nearly floated over them with a pack weighted down with 4 days worth of food and lots of water. These are rough hills and didn't even feel it. Last year I thought the reduction in my performance was a sad fact of getting older...46 isn't that old but I am not 18 anymore. But no I was mistaken. It was a sad result of bad personal choices. Blaming age was just another way to deflect the responsibility way. Here is something I didn't even think was possible.

Blood Pressure 101/77. Resting pulse rate 62. I mean really? 62? Dang I was in the high 80's. BELIEVE ME YOU CAN FEEL THE DIFFERENCE THAT MAKES. It's actually becoming difficult to get winded. In some ways I haven't totally come to terms with that aspect as it happened within the last few months. Like I was wearing a lead suit and just took it off. Pulse rate and blood pressure count.

I still got some weight to drop and another A1C test is coming up in a few weeks but the wind at least for now at my back. Once again if a goober like me can do it so can anyone reading this. Don't accept that things just are what they are. Stand up and fight back!

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:50 pm

With those sugars your A1C should be awesome. Fantastic example of what some really simple things (that are not always so simple to actually do) can accomplish.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

procyon

Post by procyon » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:19 am

Your blood sugar numbers look pretty close to perfect from here man. Way to go.
BP and HR is awesome. Range is pretty much what you expect from runners.

The only thing I would caution, as I have seen it take down a lot of folks trying to get healthy.
You can't ignore your age, just because you feel better.
Crappy performance can be improved. But healing at 40 is simply slower than it was at 20.
So listen to your body when it is telling you that you need to let it heal. A bit winded after a long run on a hot day against a stiff wind followed by sore muscles - price of being fit/ignore.
Sore knees and hips the next morning when you get out of bed - might be time to evaluate the distance you are covering in a week. Joints heal slow and can damage fast.

So keep it up because you are doing an AWESOME job. Just listen to your body while you are at it. :D
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Return to “Urban Skillz”