Using your Vehicle as a Weapon

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zengunfighter

Using your Vehicle as a Weapon

Post by zengunfighter » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:52 pm

Whether an ambush with criminal intent, such as robbery, kidnapping, or murder, or getting caught in civil unrest such as Reginald Denning in the aftermath of the Rodney King verdict, you should be prepared to defend yourself in and around your vehicle.

As in any situation, avoidance is preferred. Being alert, not only to what is going on directly around you, but being aware of criminal trends or possible civil unrest, is critical. Also in avoidance is knowing the area you are driving in, where are the bad neighborhoods, what are alternate routes? And finally, avoidance is a matter of being able to drive out of trouble. Forward and reverse 180s, being able to go 'off roading', pushing vehicles or other obstacles out of the way are good abilities to have.

There is much macho blustering about the 'skinny pedal on the right' being the answer. And maybe it is. But it's a bit more complicated than that. My latest video explores some of the issues revolving around using your vehicle as a weapon.

https://youtu.be/HGqIhLyJPcQ
https://youtu.be/HGqIhLyJPcQ

A couple of weeks ago I wrote a blog illustrated by three of my videos that talks about the subject more broadly.

https://selfdefenseinitiative.wordpress ... n-robbery/

And lastly, the most enjoyable of the many classes I've taken is Bondurant School of High Performance Driving's "Executive Protection/Anti-kidnapping class. I liked it so much I went back 8 years later. Performance driving, defensive, evasive, and offensive driving is covered. Forward and reverse 180s, PIT maneuvers, ramming road blocks, etc. This class has saved me a number of times, and I use the performance driving lessons ever day, in ways as simple as picking the best line through a turn.

Here are some videos from that class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB-y7URmSsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voWyk5x47bA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6o4oE6QbZw
Disciplina Remunenor Fidelis!

http://www.youtube.com/vigunfighter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Using your Vehicle as a Weapon

Post by Halfapint » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:27 am

Never took any tactical driving classes, but I've taken about a half dozen racing classes which teach you a lot about how to control your car. How to correct out of over/under steer, how to pick the best line though a turn and various other situations that occur when you drive well into the triple digits. Thanks for the videos, I don't think there are many offensive/defensive classes around my area. Might need to take a trip and do one, looks like a lot of fun!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:10 am

My younger sister got pulled over and lectured by a LEO on situational awareness for stopping at a red light in Newark, NJ at 0100. By her report he gave her quite a good rundown on the does and don'ts of late night urban driving, obstacle avoidance, possible ambush sites, blocked and unblocked ambushes and was released with a final, 'For the love of God, do not sit at a red light waiting for it to change in this neighborhood.'
Whether she misunderstood him or not, she left with the idea that she had 007 to use her car as a weapon if she was obstructed.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:47 am

KYZHunters wrote:My younger sister got pulled over and lectured by a LEO on situational awareness for stopping at a red light in Newark, NJ at 0100. By her report he gave her quite a good rundown on the does and don'ts of late night urban driving, obstacle avoidance, possible ambush sites, blocked and unblocked ambushes and was released with a final, 'For the love of God, do not sit at a red light waiting for it to change in this neighborhood.'
Whether she misunderstood him or not, she left with the idea that she had 007 to use her car as a weapon if she was obstructed.
Wow...that is a cool cop. I have been to Newark NJ and did not feel safe there in the middle of the day.

I have a daughter who just turned 16 (God help me) and I plan to hopefully give her as much advanced urban offensive driving knowledge as I can once she gets the gist of just basic driving. I really worry that my young suburban daughter will drive thru bad neighborhoods with the door unlocked, fall for fake bump accidents and Late night fake cops, and panic and not "speed away" if someone tries to get in the car.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:26 pm

Honestly, I learned a lot about driving technique and vehicle control from video games. Playing the original Gran Turismo games religiously as a kid and trying to pass all the license tests was tough. You had to follow lines and get your throttle and braking down correctly. So when I turned 16, I understood all about under and over steer, hitting apexes, braking in and accelerating out, yada yada yada.

I think the one skill people lack in basic driving that can help in an emergency is backing up. My dad made me take our truck up to the local shopping center after it closed and drive in reverse all around the parking lot only using my mirrors and I was never allowed more than 12 inches from the curb. Annoying at the time (very "karate kid" wax on, wax off), but it really helped in the long run because driving in reverse is instinctual now.

Thanks, zengunfighter for the original links. I'm jealous of your auto classes. I did some work at our local tack and had a blast, but they offer a "007 driving course" that is like 3 grand for a weekend. You do all the police tactics as well as movie stunt driving tactics using their old Caprice cop cars with LT1 5.7s in them. I think this will be my bachelor party if I find rich friends.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

AraZombie

Post by AraZombie » Mon May 07, 2018 8:08 pm

In a survival situation, a skilled driver can be the difference between life or death. Techniques like dodging obstacles and reverse driving are essentials

Return to “Urban Skillz”