Urban wild edibles video

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Urban wild edibles video

Post by Purple_Mutant » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:27 pm

Here is a video on 13 edible plants that grow in urban environments. The video does get a bit into new age hippie land; so take it for what it's worth. As with anything, take the time to research it. Not everything posted on the internet is true :wink:

You should also check out some of the guy's other videos. He has some really excellent videos on organic gardening. I have employed some of his ideas in my own gardening with great success.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

Quartermaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Re: Urban wild edibles video

Post by Quartermaster » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:09 pm

If you have a local library, a good eye, and some time, you can quickly learn that there are edibles all around you in an urban, suburban, and border environments that are completely edible and nutritious. Most can be eaten raw when young but almost all can be stewed or stir-fried. I have harvested plantain, dandelion, burdock, orache, wild mustard greens, wild onions, berries, acorns, asparagus, bok choy, marrow, feral squash, rose hips, and cattail pollen. With some meat, fish, and grain, one can more than just survive; one can flourish. There are also plenty of old gardens that have gone to seed where houses once stood that can supply you with vegetables, herbs, and fruit. Call your local agricultural extension agent or park naturalist if you want to learn more.

Quartermaster

DalaiLama

Post by DalaiLama » Tue May 05, 2015 3:44 am

I'm going to practice today by eating only things found in this viedo...let you know how it goes.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue May 05, 2015 3:46 am

DalaiLama wrote:I'm going to practice today by eating only things found in this viedo...let you know how it goes.
Groovy. So far I have only done dandelion greens from the backyard.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

Return to “Urban Skillz”