Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Re: Survival "soft" skills?

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:55 pm

Learn to see. The eye is an optical instrument. The brain is the engine of understanding.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Unknown

Post by Unknown » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Making cordage, Basket making. I believe would be good skills to have. I think someone said scavenging but the ability to turn the scraps ,junk or whatever else into useful things.
The only thing left when your food is gone and your gear is broken is your Knowledge, ingenuity and your will to survive

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:39 pm

Learn to write. Keep a journal. Thousands of caches left as time capsules. The generations that follow will want to know what you were afraid of, and how you survived.

Henry David Thoreau

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:59 pm

Learn to cut sign. Develop and study an age box.

Learn to hunt. Your ziplock baggie of Cliff Bars will not get you through the first winter.
Learn the atlatl and the bow. Noise draws attention. Your G-Lock may not bring in the protein, yo.

Learn to collect and process food. If hunting food is a "hard skill" add eating to that list. Do you have a hunting and fishing license? What does this say?
Henry David Thoreau

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:52 am

I'm going to address this on the urban SHTF / WROL level; I'm not sure if that's still kosher on this forum but the way I think of soft skills relevant to urban/suburban survivalism breaks down like this.

Networking and Communication: Learn how to deal with people, delegate tasks, resolve interpersonal conflicts, cold read people to see if they're on the level, and be both a team player and a team leader when necessary. There is no solo survival anywhere, but particularly for the urban WROL scenario, you are going to need a network of people to watch your back, because the high population density means that you'll need 24/7 security to survive.

Childcare/Domestic Skills: Urban disasters sometimes create lots of orphans, so even if you don't have kids, you should know the rudiments of changing a diaper, feeding an infant, dealing fairly with older children and of course other domestic skills like laundry and cooking. How many people do you know that eat out every day or who never do their own laundry, particularly in a primitive or reduced technology manner? If those services got disrupted, how would they feed themselves? How would they keep their clothes clean?

Medicine / First aid: No brainer here. A lot of people have first aid kits, but not nearly as many have adequate first aid training, particularly for trauma. This should include at least an academic knowledge of methods used successfully around the 19th century, because there may be no hospital to pass someone off to and you may have to do some of the crazy "When There Is No Doctor" shit if the crisis goes on long enough and those methods are possible under primitive conditions, even if there is still an unpleasantly high risk of an agonizing septic death.

Navigation / Movement skills: You have to know where you're going, and you have to know how to get there. This includes physical fitness, movement skills (swimming, climbing, driving, etc-I also group stealth under this category) and other skills such as map reading, taking directions, local knowledge (short cuts, off map routes and hideyholes are super useful assets in an urban SHTF scenario.)

Defensive Skills: All the martial skillsets and weapon skills are under this heading, everything from basic self defense to long range rifle shooting. Again because of population density, defensive skills are a priority for urban disasters because you are more likely to have to deal with hostile bastards than you would if you were living off the grid. The size of your group determines the acceptable level of specialization, but everyone should be able to defend themselves and their dependents effectively at at least contact distance.

Food production / Agricultural skills: Farming, fishing, butchering and processing game, animal husbandry, etc all fall under this category. In a group our size (30+ adults) we do have some specialization here as we break things up by the household level-each household is responsible for aquiring the skills (and equipment) necessary for one plant crop, one animal crop and one craft (non food crafts like soapmaking, blacksmithing, carpentry, sewing, etc.) This enables us to cover a broad base of skills per household. YMMV.

Entertainment / Socioreligious Skills: Storytelling, music, art, religious sermons, and just showmanship in general will always be important in a group survival setting-life must be, as the tv theme song goes, more than mere survival. Give people the things they need to make life feel worth living, and they'll live longer, I promise. If nothing else, it will cut suicides down to an acceptable level for a disaster / war zone.

Great post. Remember guys, anyone can stockpile stuff, but a real survivalist actually has a skillset that is useful even if they drop him\her butt naked in the middle of a disaster. Maintain the proper skillset, and you'll always have something you can use, even if you have nothing.
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Great bringing this back up!

Where I'm at, I realized learning to train and teach will be important. As said above, nobody is a lone wolf. The more your new and old friends know, the better off the group will be.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

DJPrepper

Post by DJPrepper » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:26 pm

Be the Gray Man (or Woman).

Blend in, do not get noticed, and leave without drawing attention.

Let the Z focus on the other guy !

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:26 am

It was kind of mentioned earlier in the thread when discussing resiliency, but I think that learning skills to help manage/control your emotional/mental state, as well as helping regulate others in your group, is vitally important and under-rated. All the training and gear in the world means nothing if you are curled into a fetal position from fear and panic. Even if initially everyone is fine, constantly being in stressful situations will wear at a person or group's morale and mental health, making coping strategies vital for long-term survival.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

Return to “Urban Skillz”