Machete from an old saw

Devoted to the discussion of skills applicable in an urban environment

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Slugg

Machete from an old saw

Post by Slugg » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:28 pm

Pretty cool way to salvage an old saw. I'd do this if I had all the tools and equipment for it. Looks like a fun project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiaN7PaZ65c
The future is for those who prepare.

feedthedog

Re: Machete from an old saw

Post by feedthedog » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:33 pm

That is awesome, though I have to say I was hoping that left the teeth on the back of the machete. SAWCHETE!

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:10 pm

I would love to have his shop.....
WWSD?

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:39 pm

I could see doing something like that if the saw's teeth were broken off or worn down to nubs. That is a one man crosscut saw for logs. Used ones go for $60-? online. That one looked like it was in good condition. Probably just needed a sharpening job. If you have a saw like that I would consider learning how to sharpen and use it. Machetes are everywhere. Those saws are expensive and relatively scarce.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:27 am

All it takes is about $5000 worth of equipment to make a razor sharp machete out of a saw! Yes, that is jealousy you hear (or read). Haha I want that shop!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:50 am

Nice little project.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:16 am

I guess one of those things a person does just because they want too, if they just wanted a good machete they would be much better off just buying one, I see good old Collins ones and others all the time for $5-$20. Could always get one with bad scales and replace them to if you want to be handy
If you are going to be cutting up saws I would use ones with missing or damaged handles though this one does look rusty and is missing it's front handle
I collect and sell saws and these one and two man Cross Cut saws are very common and usually don't sell for much especially if in only good condition. not hard to find them for $10, just saw 3 of them lumped together sell yesterday at my weekly auction go for $20. With the two man ones the handles are worth more then the blade and I have bought the saws before and took the handles off and sold them....easier to mail the handles then a 5 ft saw.
I usually only fool with wood working hand saws but I have people all the time try to sell me these crosscut saws, used to be the thing to paint scenes on them, Amish big on this, but seems like around here at least this is getting to be out of style. Good because I have seen some desirable and valuable saws ruined like this
Years ago I cut up a two man saw blade and made some knives out of it, I just cut the blades out with a hot cut chisel. I forged them to shape better and then hardened and tempered them. Turned out OK

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:27 am

I like the "mic drop" of sticking it in the block of wood at the end.

Return to “Urban Skillz”