It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:39 pm 

Living on the edge of a big city, I've really put the Five A's of Self Defense to good use on a regular basis:
Awareness, Alertness, Avoidance, Anticipation, Action

I'm aware of what goes on in my neighborhood and city. I'm alert to potential issues. I avoid trouble whenever I can. I anticipate the potential aggressors next move. Finally, I take Action.

One of the key things that I have found useful is to really study my surroundings before I park and get out of a car. Over the years, I've noticed that a guy sitting alone in his car might be a drug dealer. Guys hanging around the front of a store might be muggers. A lone guy surveying the parking lot might be a homeless guy looking to beg. If the parking lot is too dark or there are too many dangerous looking people, I drive on to a safer location. This action sometimes that means driving 8 miles further to the "Good Walmart" or getting gas during the day. But, it really is worth it. I can't do all the fancy karate moves I learned in my youth any more, but I've avoided many bad situations simply by seriously looking around.

When my wife and I have been complacent, we've seen things we didn't need to see (like drug deals) and we've ended up parting with a few bucks to help persistent homeless*. Some of the homeless are quite well dressed these days. So now we don't assume a guy is just waiting for Uber, we assume he's waiting for us.

*This isn't to say that helping the homeless isn't a good thing. However, we prefer to give through Salvation Army and other charitable groups.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:18 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Great post. Situitions awareness is a key urban survival skill.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:48 am 

Good post. I spent 13 years in the Phoenix area, and getting accosted by panhandlers and homeless asking for money was a regular occurrence. Would have guys in rickety old vans asking for gas money to get home to their ailing so and so, and a week later I'd see them at the same gas station with the same story.

In addition to the above mentioned, I'd advise trying to park your car such that you won't easily be boxed in, always try to leave yourself a clear exit route if you need to hit the gas and drive out fast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:00 am 

The Five Rules of Taxi Driving, as taught to me by my trainer many years ago, also have some application in the non-cab world:
  1. Know where you are.
  2. Know where you are going. Now that we have GPS and Google Maps, there is no excuse not to look up where you're going before you set out. (It was paper maps when I started.)
  3. Know the shortest routes between points A and B. Again, with GPS and Google Maps...
  4. Don't drive into anything you can't back out of.
  5. The ass end of a cab (or your own car, if you're desperate) makes a fine battering ram.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:31 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Towanda wrote:
[*]The ass end of a cab (or your own car, if you're desperate) makes a fine battering ram.[/list]

Good advice all of it.

However the last is something I always preach since car jacking is an issue in my AO. I always say even a Toyota Corolla (never mind an F-150 PU) @ 20 mph beats any hand held firearm when it comes to knockdown ability. :)

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:14 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Great post. Easy to find if someone searches as well. A+ for style.

I suspect that some women will read it and think, "Duh, I have been doing that nearly my entire life." I say that because I am a giant ugly man that can cross off threats pretty quickly when I make my scan. Si o no? Vermin tend to focus on perceived weakness, free stuff and sudden opportunities. (Anger/hate is something different.) And WTF with the vertical cameras on mall floors and crap adding to threats new to me, the human threat outside having already been mentioned?

Argumentatively, I would switch the places of avoidance and alertness. If I am aware I can avoid. Going to and staying on alert uses more of my worry cells and we only have a finite number.

Col. Jeff Cooper's color code, a version explained here by CEO & Founder of Women's Self-Defense Institute, is worth a look as well. I like the quote she uses:
Quote:
"Ultimate victory is in avoiding the fight." - Sun Tzu

http://www.self-defense-mind-body-spirit.com/awareness.html

Because of the car, I'd add to always leave some space. A bad situation might allow you to become that unstoppable Abrams Tank driver you always wanted to be.