It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:16 am 

Come the Zombie Apocalypse, Millennials and precious snowflakes are toast.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/749101 ... ear-Grylls

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:52 am 

That is one of the reasons my home is a library with paper books.

Need the info after the ZPAW?
Check an old person's house.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:13 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Click bait link. TLDC; "Millenials are missing out because their lives are different than yours".
How many boomers can't tie a knot or navigate by compass? How many had been camping by the time they were 30?
How many boomers know how to create a new email account and access it on a smart phone? How many know how to write an essay? How many know how to set up the bluetooth in their car?

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:17 pm 

Oh, sure it is...
that's how they make money after all.

If I needed a Bluetooth in my car or am forced to use a smart phone, the kids would help me with that.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:10 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

absinthe beginner wrote:

Speaking for myself I am never more wrong then when grouping people into a category then making generalities about them. So I don't do it anymore. Each individual stands alone in terms of characteristics good or bad IMHO.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:24 pm 

absinthe beginner wrote:

well, I'm a 90s kit and I can tie knots, swim, navigate by map compass and landmarks, drive a boat, sail a boat, make a raft, start and fight fires, use a phone directory and UBD, have basic survival skills, write an essay, use blue-tooth, use google maps and satnav, emails and basic programming...

BRING IT ON!

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:21 pm 

Millennials as scapegoats for all the perceived ills of the world is tired and lazy. Anyone who actually spends time with "millennials" will realize the capitol M millennials we hear about are a small minority, or in some cases practically mythological.

Just like the silly Heinlein quote that won't die, the bias towards generalization (of skills) puts you at a pretty big disadvantage in todays world, if you want to be on the cutting edge of nearly any industry there isn't a ton of room for a bunch of wilderness specific hobbies that you may or may not find interesting/edifying.

For people that will likely live the massive majority of their lives in urban centers, isn't urban and social skills the higher priority? Sure we can come up with outlandish hypotheticals and cherry pick anecdotes that support the need for wilderness skills but I find it hard to to support that fire starting skills really rates higher then programming in our near future. Really the application for most "survival skills" outside of a recreational context has to be so laughably unlikely that it barely warrants talking about.

I enjoy being outdoors, I spend time outdoors. Therefor I could conceivably end up in any number of situations where I would need survival skills, If those two factors don't apply to you (and we don't accept the premise that this makes someone less of a person) then there could be any number of other things that are a better use of your time and I hesitate to rank them for anyone but myself.

I find large swathes of nearly every generation wildly incompetent at any number of things. Sometimes it lines up with what you would expect from their cohort, sometimes not. It tends to have more to do with the individuals general level of intelligence and their interests more then their age.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:43 pm 

RonnyRonin wrote:
Just like the silly Heinlein quote that won't die, the bias towards generalization (of skills) puts you at a pretty big disadvantage in todays world, if you want to be on the cutting edge of nearly any industry there isn't a ton of room for a bunch of wilderness specific hobbies that you may or may not find interesting/edifying.

Actually...
I've found that the general "loose change" skills do come in handy in dealing with day to day tasks. Most recent example: Rigging and marlinspike seamanship (Fitting plywood, tools, hardware, and my extremely precocious 4 year old daughter, into the back of my mini-ute, and driving with the cargo hatch up), basic handyman and mechanic skills (install fan remote, new power window registers, new battery, etc.), street navigation by paper map and the sun (no cell network).

Now, we are talking about personal skills, not professional skills. I don't expect to be able to make my living with any of the eclectic assortment of skills that I've picked up over the last four and change decades on this planet. They're for the top of two levels Maslow's hierarchy of needs. For, the rest, I have a college degree from an accredited university, industry experience, and everything that goes with them. The skills from those are not "loose change". Those are how I make my living. Don't confuse the two.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:37 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

RonnyRonin wrote:
Millennials as scapegoats for all the perceived ills of the world is tired and lazy. Anyone who actually spends time with "millennials" will realize the capitol M millennials we hear about are a small minority, or in some cases practically mythological.

For people that will likely live the massive majority of their lives in urban centers, isn't urban and social skills the higher priority? Sure we can come up with outlandish hypotheticals and cherry pick anecdotes that support the need for wilderness skills but I find it hard to to support that fire starting skills really rates higher then programming in our near future. Really the application for most "survival skills" outside of a recreational context has to be so laughably unlikely that it barely warrants talking about.

I enjoy being outdoors, I spend time outdoors. Therefor I could conceivably end up in any number of situations where I would need survival skills, If those two factors don't apply to you (and we don't accept the premise that this makes someone less of a person) then there could be any number of other things that are a better use of your time and I hesitate to rank them for anyone but myself.

I find large swathes of nearly every generation wildly incompetent at any number of things. Sometimes it lines up with what you would expect from their cohort, sometimes not. It tends to have more to do with the individuals general level of intelligence and their interests more then their age.

Great post!

I work and live in the NYC area and I whole heartedly agree with what you indicate that people using Millennials as scapegoats for all the perceived ills of the world is tired and lazy.

however really want to disagree on generalization not being a good thing.

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:06 pm 

Written by a millennial:

Millennials lack skills to survive unironically in apocalypse

http://duclarion.com/2012/12/millennial ... pocalypse/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:44 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

madoka wrote:
Written by a millennial:

Millennials lack skills to survive unironically in apocalypse

http://duclarion.com/2012/12/millennial ... pocalypse/

She says "we".

She Means I

In my experience, more and more "millennials" are interested in Bushcraft. We grew up watching Ray Mears, we grew up seeing crocodile dundee and thinking "fuck yeah, I wanna do that".

And I say "We" when I mean I, because in my circle of millennials, I naturally meet all the ones who share my interests.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:30 pm 

Google says that means kids born roughly from 1980 - 1995.

City kids learn city stuff, country kids learn country stuff.
I live in a rural area, around here lots of them know much they would need to know in a PAW.
We teach all who want to know... got a group of 6 -8 year olds learning now.