flint and steel

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

WRKNMAN

flint and steel

Post by WRKNMAN » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:29 pm

where would you find flint here in kentucky? I want to try my hand at this type of fire making. I tried yesterday at a bushcraft class I went to it was pretty cool.I would like to put my own set together.

Grainman

Re: flint and steel

Post by Grainman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:33 pm

No idea where you'd find Flint in Kentucky, but you don't actually need flint specifically from what I've read. For example Ragweed Forge says:
Ragweed wrote:You can also use many other minerals as your "flint". Agate, carnelian, jade, bloodstone, chalcedony, quartz, and chert all work well. Any hard stone, which fractures to a sharp edge, will do the job. Keep your striker with you, and when you see an interesting stone, try it.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:33 pm

Chert is pretty common in my area and that is what I have. Ragweed is a good place to get a steel but bust up an old file and grind off the file-y parts and that'll make a good stell right there. The back of a carbon blade knife can make some sparks with chert to. Learn to make char clothe out of old t-shirts and jeans too. Sparks off chert and an old file chunk just aren't good enough to catch in regular old tinder.

I just dug out my old Viking-era flint and steel and I'll take some pics of it for you later and post.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:49 pm

In my area, flint and chert are easiest to find near creek/stream, having been exposed by erosion.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Return to “Bushcraft”