Bushcraft basics: Trioxane!!!

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RGR SNAPLINK
ZS Member
ZS Member

Bushcraft basics: Trioxane!!!

Post by RGR SNAPLINK » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:15 pm

So I have been on a fire starter kick lately. My latest aquisition in flippin amazing. It is dirt cheap ($2 for a box of 3) and super easy to use.

What I have, and what I have found for sale, is the USGI offerings.

So I recently made a little burn pit in my backyard. What better place to test out my latest fire starter?

So the guy who turned me onto them told me that you can start completely soaking wet wood ablaze with them. I figured for my first run with them, I would use green wood. Wood that would normaly be extremely hard and stupid to try and start a fire with.
So, I dug a little pit,

Threw in one tab of Trioxane,

shot it with my fire steel and it instantly lit up.

I took my green sticks and just piled them on. I didn't wait for the little ones to catch, I just threw them all on.

So I had to go to work so I couldn't let it burn too long. But, as you can see, a fire one could definately work with!
It is important to know, if you get some of these little tabs, they mostly burn with invisible flames. You can see some small little white and blue flames, but there are larger ones you can't see. Approach your fire with caution.
High Explosive, Dual Purpose.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Re: Bushcraft basics: Trioxane!!!

Post by Chef » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm

Do they not issue trioxane anymore?
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Frank

Post by Frank » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:49 pm

i think its been replaced by this?
http://www.countycomm.com/firegel.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

RGR SNAPLINK
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RGR SNAPLINK » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:12 pm

No, not issued. At least not where I was at. The focus was so much on the GWOT, that a lot of those old skills and practices are gone.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:33 pm

The focus was so much on the GWOT, that a lot of those old skills and practices are gone.
That's just . . . sad. Typical, but sad.

I keep a small supply with my gear for emergency firestarting or brew-ups, and about a dozen boxes in the stockpile. Be careful to protect the packaging, if the foil gets a hole in it the trioxane will slowly evaporate-- do maintenance checks on your stash often! If you're using the stuff as a heat source, you don't really need a canteen cup stove support for brewing up, you can scratch a small trench with your fingers or whatever to set the trioxane in, then place your canteen cup over it. Don't burn it in an enclosed space.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:43 pm

I carry a bar of Trioxane in my jacket all the time, and love them. They are great for pretty much anything. Also, the gel lights easier than the bar itself.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

hangfire

Post by hangfire » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:59 pm

Dirt cheap is right! Mind sharing where you found it at that price?
"PEOPLE SLEEP PEACEABLY IN THEIR BEDS AT NIGHT ONLY BECAUSE ROUGH MEN STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THEIR BEHALF".
George Orwell

RGR SNAPLINK
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RGR SNAPLINK » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:24 pm

hangfire wrote:Dirt cheap is right! Mind sharing where you found it at that price?

Of course, kinda embarassed I didn't think to do it earlier.
http://www.google.com/products?q=trioxa ... =en&tab=wf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:12 am

Trioxane does work great to start fires, but remember that it also produces a very distinctive smell that can carry for hundreds of meters.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 am

ODA 226 wrote:Trioxane does work great to start fires, but remember that it also produces a very distinctive smell that can carry for hundreds of meters.
That distinctive smell is highly toxic, so best used in an open area and try not to breathe it. I agree though, they make great firestarters.

Couple of other pointers: Its toxic in solid and gas form.

-keep your hands clean after using, you don't want to be touching this stuff then prepping food.
-its best to burn the whole bar once the package is open, you don't want that stuff inside a cook tin or the dust floating around you bag.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:52 am

That is a nice fire pit you've made!
I've never seen Trioxane actually, looks to be good in the wet.
Man is a beast of prey

Black November

Post by Black November » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:47 pm

Are we not using PJ cotton balls anymore?

found this also:
http://www.surplusplanet360.com/Milpack ... 200pk.html
"I guess you broke into the wrong goddamn rec room, didn't you" -Burt- Tremors
WINTERGEDDON: IX, X, XI, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII
SUMMERGEDDON: IX, X, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI
SUMMER BUG OUT: XIII

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:18 pm

Triox is a essential part of my kit . :D
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

RGR SNAPLINK
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RGR SNAPLINK » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:48 pm

Black November wrote:Are we not using PJ cotton balls anymore?

found this also:
http://www.surplusplanet360.com/Milpack ... 200pk.html
I featured this because it's simple, easy, wont burst under pressure (like the gel) so you can keep it in your bag and not worry about it. It is also cheap. Not as cheap as PJ balls, but will start wet wood on fire. PJ balls wont do that, unless you have a whole mess of em!

danzig

Post by danzig » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:17 pm

I also found these and have used them to start fires. Found out a spoon full of sterno smeared on wood or just a pile on ground works just as good, easier to get and cheaper!

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:27 pm

The gel is supposed to be vapor free, but I also have had problems with the package bursting and making a mess of itself.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:21 am

I saw some at the local sportin' good store once, but decided not too get it because of the "best by" dates on the package. Some of the reviews I have read say they really are not good for much past that date. Many of the other alternative fire starting methods have no best by date, so I chose to have them in my pack instead.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Frank

Post by Frank » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:20 pm

id rather invest in Esbit tabs...i had a few that i left unwrapped for two months that still lit up yesterday. (wanted to see if they would still work)
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

Thug Hunter

Post by Thug Hunter » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:50 pm

We used to sprinkle MRE salt on our trioxane heat tabs, and it seemed to cut the smell a lot.
"Time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted."--unknown
"Time spent on rehearsal is never wasted."--Thug Hunter

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:11 am

Another advantage of Trioxane, with it's high burn temps, is how FAST you can cook food with it. I used one with an Esbit folding stove and a USGI Canteen cup. Cooked a can of beans in 30 seconds. I was hooked from there on out. the two downsides, as other have mentioned is:

1) You have to use the whole bar, or it get's everywhere. I'm sure you could get some uber small, tight sealed containers, to contain the mess, but that's one more thing to have to pack/worry about.

2) The aluminum packets can "wear"/"rub" open, and the powder can get everywhere. I'm not sure I want toxic trioxane residue floating around in my BOB, with my snuff and ice cold beers :mrgreen:
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:40 pm

I jus used some this past weekend to start a fire. I had hiked up a mountain during the frost snowfall of the year. It dropped about an inch of wet heavy snow and my boots were soaked. I made my tinder pile and was unable to start a fire with gasoline cotton balls, among many other methods. The only thing that started the fire was trioxane. It allowed me to dry my boots out and continue on my trip. If I hadn't gotten them dry, I probably would have had to come down early.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

sturmotter

Post by sturmotter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:41 am

I'd rather use Esbit/hexamine tabs, because trioxane is toxic and has about half the heat value. Not that hexamine is your best friend either, but it only releases the bad stuff when actually burning. A note on trioxane from Zen Stoves: "These fuel tabs contain metaformaldehyde which is toxic and releases formaldehyde gas (also toxic) when it decomposes. This fuel is toxic despite the many websites that claim theirs are "nontoxic". You shouldn't eat without first washing your hands after handling this fuel and the fumes aren't much fun either."

Isheian

Post by Isheian » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Yeah its bad for you, but trioxane will light just about anything ablaze.
Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
Meaning of the EOD Badge
EOD is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

gunfixrjoe

Post by gunfixrjoe » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:50 am

WetFire is a much better substitue. Completely non-toxic. No smoke, no odor. 1300 degree burning, but snuff it out and you can instantly pick it up as it doesn't retain the heat. Its great stuff and replace all the other man made products in my kit.

Return to “Bushcraft”