Shaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Re: Venomous snakes

Post by Shaper » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:31 pm

Great thread and photos WW!

I have the strangest relationship with snakes. I simultaneously am scared to death, yet excited and aroused (not sexually mind you) when I come in contact with a snake.

I have reoccurring dreams (bordering on nightmares) about snakes which freak me out to no end. Yet, I want a snow white boa for a pet. I had 3 near death (well, bite) experiences when I was a young boy, but I still look actively for them in the wild. :lol:

I take my kids to the zoo and I try spend all of my time in the snake house. I don't think its a phobia because I can hold them, be around them, etc. I just don't understand the love/fear relationship I have with snakes. Is there a shrink in the building? :mrgreen:

Anywho, great thread WW!

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

BigBossMan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (original and remake), Sean of the Dead, 28 Days

Post by BigBossMan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:36 pm

East wrote::lol: How'd you do that!?
It should have looked like this.

Code: Select all

[img]http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/NAME CENSORED/?action=view&current=QmFieSBDb3BwZXJoZWFkLmpwZw.jpg[/img]
Also, go back and edit your posts and take your real name out of the url. There are far too many freak stalkers on the internet.
-BBM

NC5thcav

Post by NC5thcav » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:57 pm

Yea, I just quoted your post and deleted a little of the link coding. It still didn't turn out perfect. And a big +1 on the real name. People can be weird.
"I am determined to defend my rights and maintain my freedom or sell my life in the attempt."- Gen. Nathaniel Greene

"We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again."- Gen. Nathaniel Greene

BigBossMan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (original and remake), Sean of the Dead, 28 Days

Post by BigBossMan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:58 pm

NC5thcav wrote:Yea, I just quoted your post and deleted a little of the link coding. It still didn't turn out perfect. And a big I say, old chap. That has to be among the most brilliant things I have ever read! Bravo! on the real name. People can be weird.
Edit your quote also. Her name is still in your post.
-BBM

East
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead

Post by East » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Wonder why the hell it put my real name anyways? Thanks for lookin out guys...
"When I was just a baby my mamma told me son, always be a good boy don't ever play with guns..." Johnny Cash

BigBossMan

Post by BigBossMan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:02 pm

East wrote:Wonder why the hell it put my real name anyways? Thanks for lookin out guys...
Same reason you didn't drop that copperhead like it was on fire. lol

No worries. We look out for each other.
Last edited by BigBossMan on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-BBM

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:02 pm

I'm just going to edit everyone's post to have the picture that I just saved and uploaded to my own Photobucket. That way we all win. :D

And by 'everyone' I mean 'NC5thcav'. So there it is.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

BigBossMan

Post by BigBossMan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:04 pm

shrapnel wrote:I'm just going to edit everyone's post to have the picture that I just saved and uploaded to my own Photobucket. That way we all win. :D
Damn your Vulcan logic!
-BBM

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:06 pm

But seriously. Don't pick up snakes. Even non-venomous ones will bite, and if even if you aren't worried about your own health in terms of infections and nastiness from a wound, uhm, you should be. :)
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

NC5thcav

Post by NC5thcav » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:07 pm

I already fixed my post.

Back on the subject of snakes, until October I worked at a wilderness camp for at-risk youth here in Surry county. Our camp was 940 acres in the Appalachians. We had quite a few snakes. People should take note of what areas are most prone to have snakes. One of our campsites had lots of snakes because it was right beside a creek and had lots of huge boulders and rock outcrops. Copperheads seem to really like water. I only saw one timber rattler while I worked there. Like someone else posted, it ddin't rattle when the kids walked past it. Another great deterent for poisinous snakes are king snakes. They prey on other snakes quite often.
"I am determined to defend my rights and maintain my freedom or sell my life in the attempt."- Gen. Nathaniel Greene

"We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again."- Gen. Nathaniel Greene

East
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead

Post by East » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:29 pm

Now that you mention that, MANY years ago I did a lot of climbing at Pilot and I remember there being little copperheads curled up in pockets of the rock sometimes...it made for tricky hand holds on occasion. I have a healthy respect for snakes all though I need to remind myself of that from time to time :) Did anyone ever see the episode of Dirty Jobs where Mike helps out someone doing a study of some rare snake off Lake Erie? He gets bit like 5 times and it just makes me cringe because the snake literally grinds it's jaws and teeth into his hand!
"When I was just a baby my mamma told me son, always be a good boy don't ever play with guns..." Johnny Cash

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:22 pm

East wrote:Now that you mention that, MANY years ago I did a lot of climbing at Pilot and I remember there being little copperheads curled up in pockets of the rock sometimes...it made for tricky hand holds on occasion. I have a healthy respect for snakes all though I need to remind myself of that from time to time :) Did anyone ever see the episode of Dirty Jobs where Mike helps out someone doing a study of some rare snake off Lake Erie? He gets bit like 5 times and it just makes me cringe because the snake literally grinds it's jaws and teeth into his hand!
Those were non-venomous water snakes (genus: Natrix) gnawing on Mr. Rowe. Back in college I helped wrangle copperheads for a senior year herpetology class field trip in SE Ohio. We caught about six in an hour. They were all found under large flat rocks on slopes with southern exposures. Naturally that isn't a hard and fast rule, but rocks, with their thermal mass are excellent resting places for cold-blooded inhabitants. So always be alert.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:37 pm

Non-venomous water snakes stink to high hell if handled and bite. I would recommend against handling any snake if unsure. Same goes for any wilderness survival mumbo jumbo adventure. It looks great to see experts on TV land eat dangerous critters in canned survival situations but wow, getting hit without medical care accessible would complicate the issue greatly.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Shemp
Favorite Zombie Movies: Omega Man, Body Snatchers, The Stand

Post by Shemp » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:07 pm

I know this awesome post is old but I just came across it and want to add...The "rattlesnakes will warn you" thing is way false, and even if they do you might not be paying attention. A buddy and I were humping down a plateau in the Superstitions (outside of Phoenix) after a long day of hiking...head down, heavy pack, thinking about the first round of brew at the local re-hydration facility. All of a sudden my buddies forearm slams into my chest, stopping me in my tracks and just when I was about to get all "what the hell, amigo" with him, I noticed the 4-5 foot worth of Diamondback coiled EXACTLY 2 boot strides in front of me. No matter how tired you are, be aware of your surroundings...if you're too tired, take a break.
As far as dispatching a rattler, I agree to live and let live...mmmm....but...for a time, back in the day, for a couple of Springs, I developed a hankering for rattler meat. Great for stuffed quail, or just grilled. Don't do it anymore...but my grand-pappy taught me (and in my case it worked...'bout 5 or 6 times) that if you stand back (5 yards-ish) from a coiled rattler and wave a .22 rifle barrel in a slow, hypnotic circle that tightens down to a single point, say in about 30-45 seconds, that snake will sight right down the barrel. Click, bang, food....
And now the disclaimer portion of this post: THAT WAS THIRTY-FIVE YEARS AGO!!! I DON'T DO IT ANYMORE!! DON'T GO TRANCE DANCIN' WITH A SNAKE AND WIND UP WITH ONE HANGIN' OFF YOUR NUTSACK AND CURSE MY NAME!!!!
Just sharing....Again, great post WW, and all who contributed!
"You see, man, we like to feel we can get out of trouble, quicker than we got into it." ...Oddball (woof-woof)

"Boy Howdy!"...Shemp

TankNSpank

Post by TankNSpank » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:49 am

Lucky you guys, you don't have to deal with Black Mamba's and the various bush snakes we have in South Africa, though I'm sure you all have just as deadly in your backyard.

Is there someone who markets some kind of lower leg protection that would repel snake fangs from penetrating?
Something along the lines of a shin guard that they use in soccer, but for hikers/hunters?

My boots protect my feet pretty well as they're steel toe and solid leather, but I really don't like the idea of using a tourniquet and having my limbs chopped off, or risking my life to some suction device that might not extract all of the venom when I could just strap something around my legs in the most likely area of an attack and have coverage up to the bottoms of my knees, avoiding the need for a hospital and expensive bills that I can't afford.

If not, I reckon I can do some tinkering out in the shop and rig something decent up, I had a near miss with a Puff Adder a while back and have been afraid of going trekking again since.
The greatest thing you can do is something that doesn't involve any benefit to yourself.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:21 am

Is there someone who markets some kind of lower leg protection that would repel snake fangs from penetrating?
Something along the lines of a shin guard that they use in soccer, but for hikers/hunters?
Yep! Plastic snake chaps are pretty widely available here in the US. As are snake boots, which are overkill (too stiff, too heavy, too hot) for the very rare problem of getting bitten by a poisonous snake, even in places where poisonous snakes are quite common. Not that we have mambas or puff adders here ....
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:38 am

TankNSpank

Post by TankNSpank » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 am

Very nice, I'll be ordering a pair next paycheck.
The greatest thing you can do is something that doesn't involve any benefit to yourself.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Shemp.

Yup they only rattle 100% of the time in the movies.

tanksNSpank.

I think sometimes people get hit because they didn't spend the time to be more aware of their environment. Heck, I walked around with my head in the clouds more than a few times. I don’t know the snakes in your AO but kinda guess a tourniquet isn’t going to help that much with a Black Manbia bite. That Puff Adder thing could be a bigger issue for snake bites in Africa. Then again my African snake experience is limited to a snake charmer during a daytrip to Morocco ten years ago.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Ranter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the dead

Post by Ranter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:03 pm

Here is something you don't see every day. Rattlers mating in the wild. Oddly enough, I ran into this amorous couple on my honeymoon 2 years ago. I'm pretty much live and let live with them, unless I find them too close to the house. I don't want my dog, wife, friend's kids, or my nephew finding them the hard way. Everyone around here calls them timber rattlers, but I'm not so sure. From what I've heard, timber rattlers are fairly mellow etc. These bastards will charge you if you get too close. I've yet to see a calm, mellow acting one that I got within 10-15 feet of in the 34 years I've been running around my A.O. I've killed a few in excess of 5 foot long in my driveway over the years. If you miss with that first shot, probably 7 out of 10 times you'll have to back up before the second shot because they're coming at you. Fast. Those bastards can seriously cover some ground! These two were easily 3.5 foot each.

Murf wrote:
Ranter wrote:I sent 125 grains of lead into my dresser, through the now ex wife's lingerie drawer...
I believe that would be considered a negligee discharge.

whmumfrey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow, The Walking Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, I Walked with a Zombie, Dawn of the Dead, and of course, Shaun of the Dead

Post by whmumfrey » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:09 am

I've hiked through some of Australia's (home to some of the world's deadliest snakes) harshest environments over the last 30 years and encountered many snakes (almost inadvertently grabbed one by the tail while climbing on the weekend). I've never had any problems, but once when a friend and I were on a twelve day walk to a remote location here in Tasmania, he was chased along a muddy track by an aggressive, three foot Tiger Snake. Too make things even more interesting, he was wearing a 25 kg (55 pound) backpack at the time. Strangely, this didn't seem to hinder him in the slightest.

TankNSpank

Post by TankNSpank » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:46 am

Woods Walker wrote:Shemp.

tanksNSpank.

I think sometimes people get hit because they didn't spend the time to be more aware of their environment. Heck, I walked around with my head in the clouds more than a few times. I don’t know the snakes in your AO but kinda guess a tourniquet isn’t going to help that much with a Black Manbia bite. That Puff Adder thing could be a bigger issue for snake bites in Africa. Then again my African snake experience is limited to a snake charmer during a daytrip to Morocco ten years ago.
I think SA has 8 different species of highly venomous snakes, granted, we have a low fatality rate but it's still a rate nonetheless.
I'm in the Army, and we're preparing for Somalia so we're constantly training out in the bush and what not lately, checking for snakes is hard to do when you're running with a 80 pound pack and trying to comfortably carry your firearm.
But, it's better to be prepared than dead, when we're training the closest medical help is a medic and the nearest hospital is an hour away.

BluelegSamantha
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by BluelegSamantha » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:34 am

TankNSpank wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:Shemp.

tanksNSpank.

I think SA has 8 different species of highly venomous snakes, granted, we have a low fatality rate but it's still a rate nonetheless.
I'm in the Army, and we're preparing for Somalia so we're constantly training out in the bush and what not lately, checking for snakes is hard to do when you're running with a 80 pound pack and trying to comfortably carry your firearm.
But, it's better to be prepared than dead, when we're training the closest medical help is a medic and the nearest hospital is an hour away.
South Africa is going to fight Somalia?
SSG Pete C. wrote:Shoot the way you talk, or shut the fuck up.

TankNSpank

Post by TankNSpank » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:39 am

BluelegSamantha wrote:South Africa is going to fight Somalia?
From what I understand we're going to provide protection to humanitarian workers in southern Somalia and try to comb the sea around it for pirates, our role is limited but necessary as the UN peacekeeper's aren't doing their job.

Return to “Bushcraft”