Venomous snakes

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 9404
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: CT

Re: Venomous snakes

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:04 am

taipan821 wrote:
Big B wrote:Great post Woods Walker! :D I have alway carried a snake bite kit (little plunger gizmo) in my pack when in CA, AZ, NM, etc. Until I recently read they were pretty much useless.....
If you are an international tourist and go into a country that has snakes (say Australia) be aware of the different methods of treating. for example down under a snake bite extractor is useless as the venom works differently (don't ask me why, i talked to a snake expert), when in doubt carry enough heavy crepe bandages to cover your leg entirely.
I think those snake bite extractors are useless all over the world not just down under however no MD.
Image

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

User avatar
Evan the Diplomat
* * * * *
Posts: 2160
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:48 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: Venomous snakes

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:06 pm

I agree that venom extractors are pointless. Back in my high school days I used to volunteer at the reptile house in the National Zoo. Not a single keeper nor the curator endorsed any type of venom extractor. To a person they all said pressure bandage and a set of car keys to drive you to the ER.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

User avatar
ZombieEater666
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:10 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: World war z
Location: Australia

Re: Venomous snakes

Post by ZombieEater666 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:59 am

Yep i agree at the scouts we quickly learnt that venom extractors are pointless and dont work and un reliable to a extent, would love to be proved wrong tho

User avatar
Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 9404
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: CT

Re: Venomous snakes

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:44 am

Water Moccasin aka cotton mouth. Pit viper.

Image

Habitat. In this case cypress swamp.


Image


Image

Yes I wore boots! LOL!

Image


Notice the cat's eye and shape of it's head.

Image

Image

Classic threat display with fangs. My advice is to leave it be. Yea don't want to take a hit in the middle of the swamp.

Image
Image

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

User avatar
SCBrian
* * * * *
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Venomous snakes

Post by SCBrian » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:56 am

Pattern Identification, pattern identification, pattern identification!!

Yes, most have vertical pupils, most have a diamond head. I could go into keeled scales and anal plates as well but the issue is usually if you are close enough to look into it's eyes, you are in strike range. Pattern identification is a better technique to ID snakes than pupil/head. For example - the coral snake, Member of the cobra family. Round head. But I bet you know the rhyme... Red / Yellow...

Most areas only have a few venomous snakes, easy to learn the patterns and shapes...

:)
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

User avatar
Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 9404
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: CT

Re: Venomous snakes

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:34 pm

SCBrian wrote:Pattern Identification, pattern identification, pattern identification!!

Yes, most have vertical pupils, most have a diamond head. I could go into keeled scales and anal plates as well but the issue is usually if you are close enough to look into it's eyes, you are in strike range. Pattern identification is a better technique to ID snakes than pupil/head. For example - the coral snake, Member of the cobra family. Round head. But I bet you know the rhyme... Red / Yellow...

Most areas only have a few venomous snakes, easy to learn the patterns and shapes...

:)
That's can be a tricky one for some snakes. For example the Timber rattler can be all over the map, even solid black. For others like the Coral snake it's a dead giveaway. Bottom line though IMHO if yea don't know assume it's venomous. I like the better safe than sorry thing!
Image

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

User avatar
SCBrian
* * * * *
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Venomous snakes

Post by SCBrian » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:47 pm

Woods Walker wrote:

That's can be a tricky one for some snakes. For example the Timber rattler can be all over the map, even solid black. For others like the Coral snake it's a dead giveaway. Bottom line though IMHO if yea don't know assume it's venomous. I like the better safe than sorry thing!

Very much your last sentence. :)

We are spoiled down here. Our Timbers are very well marked. So well we argue they are a separate sub-species... lol

Canebrake Rattler:

Image

One thing to note though, is more and more rattlesnakes are learning not to rattle. evolution in progress. As rattlesnake roundups and general hunting targets the rattling sound looking for the snake, the ones who dont rattle survive, and bred that trait along.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

User avatar
rooks
*
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Australia

Re: Venomous snakes

Post by rooks » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:37 am

Great thread.

I will firstly say, if you're in Australia, assume it's venomous. :awesome:

I will also add to the thread and say the whole sucking the venom out, cutting open the wounded area etc is nonsense. Even if it's some dedicated plunger in a med kit, it won't do anything.

Not only will doing such risk illness by the sucker :ohdear: (not poisoned like the bitten, but could make you crook), as with anything that bites, the snake inevitably leaves behind a trace, including venom, on the outside of the wound. This venom on the extremities is what is used by the medical folks to help identify what snake you were bitten by, and therefore which antivenom to administer.

If you can't identify the snake, and have sucked/cut/tampered with the bite area, not only will you have done nothing to help you and wasted precious time, you will very likely have delayed your chances at concise medical treatment.

A gauze pad, and compression bandaging - as tight as you would a sprained ankle - and little to no body movement is best. The lower the heart-rate, the better.

No tourniquets - you need to slow blood-flow, but not cut it off.
~ Russ

User avatar
Hiroshima_Morphine
* * * * *
Posts: 1397
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.
Location: Southern Appalachia
Contact:

Re: Venomous snakes

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:25 am

I'm late to the party- but I'll add two things. Really one point but said two different ways.

A buddy of mine who is a Wildlife Biologist with the GA DNR said the only sure fire way of identifying a venomous snake was by looking at which way the slit on their belly ran for their reproductive and digestive orifices- and since that can be inconvenient at best and dangerous at worst- just leave the damn thing alone.

I have a redneck buddy who says there are only 2 snakes it the world- cobras and rattlers. If they ain't got a rattle than they are a cobra and I won't mess with either.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone
Website: AnonymityGone.WordPress.Com

drop bear
* * *
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 am

Re: Venomous snakes

Post by drop bear » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:01 pm

rooks wrote:Great thread.

I will firstly say, if you're in Australia, assume it's venomous. :awesome:

I will also add to the thread and say the whole sucking the venom out, cutting open the wounded area etc is nonsense. Even if it's some dedicated plunger in a med kit, it won't do anything.

Not only will doing such risk illness by the sucker :ohdear: (not poisoned like the bitten, but could make you crook), as with anything that bites, the snake inevitably leaves behind a trace, including venom, on the outside of the wound. This venom on the extremities is what is used by the medical folks to help identify what snake you were bitten by, and therefore which antivenom to administer.

If you can't identify the snake, and have sucked/cut/tampered with the bite area, not only will you have done nothing to help you and wasted precious time, you will very likely have delayed your chances at concise medical treatment.

A gauze pad, and compression bandaging - as tight as you would a sprained ankle - and little to no body movement is best. The lower the heart-rate, the better.

No tourniquets - you need to slow blood-flow, but not cut it off.
And of course python bites can be an issue as well.

Image

Post Reply

Return to “Bushcraft”