It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:42 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

One of the harder firestarts IMHO in the wood is fire via magnification. The challenges are numerous and proper timing is essential. Using a marginal lens and only materials found in nature only adds to the problems. On the flip side if I can do it odds are so can just about anyone else.

When it comes to a small lens the SAK is dang small.

Lets get the materials to pull this off. Natural hydrocarbons in this case Yellow birch bark. These often grow near water.

Punky woood from this very dead and a bit too tall and dead for my comfort tree.

Maybe Easter Hemlock however felt the urge to be someplace else so didn't inspect it all that long.

Eastern Red Cedar. These can grow in fields or rock outcrops. They like sun but are killed when taller trees crowed out the light so they tend to be in clear sunny spots. Knowing the preferred habitat of something you're looking for will greatly increase the odds of finding it. Yes that's obvious but IMHO worth stating.

I am after the outer bark which will be fluffed up. Like with Yellow birch taking hanging cedar bark is similar to clipping your finger nails. Harmless so long as it isn't done into living material.

The odds are against this grass igniting directly from that little lens but going to try anyways.

The woods were damp so put the tinder on some rocks and roots for a short time. Time however is not on my side as one never knows how long the bright sunny sky will hold. Then again per my phone and Weather Underground that would be around 2 more hours. A bit of a party pooper for my fake survival situation. Oh well.

The grass and leaves didn't work. The little lens burned a pin prick hole and nothing more.

However the punk wood took a coal. Initially it resisted as the color is on the lighter side. Also the focused sunlight would burn into the punk wood then get diffused for lack of better words. So I kept the focus point slowly moving in circles. This kept the smoke going and then a coal took. I kept the firecraft part of the video unedited so viewers can see it's not an instantaneous process.

Blew it into flames using a cedar and yellow birch bark tinder bundle. I was a bit lazy as constructed the tinder bundle on the fly. This should of been done first even though punk wood can easily hold a coal long enough. That's me in the mist of the smoke. The slightly damp materials were stubborn.

Success!

Observations.

I did this at around 12:30 PM to maximize the chances. I have never been able to get direct flames from a SAK lens however it can make a coal. This isn't to say that is impossible just I have not done it. But I really don't need to as the same basically methodology used in friction fire and traditional flint and steel applies here. Create a coal then blow that coal into flames. That said my advice is to pack at least 3 reliable ways to start a fire and tinder. If something happens to your fire kit don't wait till you have been walking in the rain for half the night to try this. Strike while the iron is hot. Here is a video.

Thanks for looking!

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+