Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Bear behavior: problem black bear

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu May 25, 2017 8:35 pm

Quick story: My GF lives on an Appalachian mountain with her family. They have neighbors about every couple hundred yards along their road which runs parallel to the base of the mountain. They have 2 horses and 3 dogs. Their next door neighbor also has dogs. He lives within 200 yards.

3 days ago, I got a text that the neighbor's dog was mauled by a black bear. The dog lived, but it was badly hurt (I'm pretty sure he had a big dog, not sure the breed) but the bear drug it up a tree and the dog fell. I know that doesn't sound like bear behavior that I know of, and I even thought mountain lion... though extremely rare (some say extinct) in their area. But they say it was a black bear.

I know no other details, sadly. Don't know if it was night or day, don't know if it was on a hike or in the yard, don't know if they saw it or just found the dog. However, black bears are common there and I've had them poop on my hunting spots.

My question is: anyone know anything about black bears and their territory? Will this bear continue to be a problem? Will the dogs and horses attract it? It doesn't get into any trash and food is kept inside, but will it think it owns that area now? I've found "den holes" of black bears up their peak, but I've never seen one come down the mountain even though it happens now and again.

Second question: Is hiking with a Mosin M44 with a slab of bacon on my back frowned upon?
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Bear behavior: problem black bear

Post by raptor » Thu May 25, 2017 9:18 pm

I have black bears on my property. I can assure you that they can climb. I have video of them doing it.

Check you local game laws; in LA, MS & TX they are protected. You can shoot them in SD but you better call and report it to the local authorities ASAP and explain what happened.
Last edited by raptor on Fri May 26, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu May 25, 2017 10:38 pm

raptor wrote:I have black bears on my property. I can assure you that they can climb. I have video of the doing it.

Check you lica l game laws in LA, MS & TX they are protected. You can shoot them in SD but you better call and report it to the local authorities ASAP.
I've seen bears treed, but I've never heard of them dragging prey into a tree. Not saying it didn't happen, just saying it seemed bizarre.

I'm heading out there to talk to the neighbor tomorrow and find out more
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Fri May 26, 2017 5:00 am

If it was a bear, and given the time of year (not early spring when they're coming out of hibernation), if you've got a bear close by that's snatching large dogs to snack on and dragging them up into a tree to eat......you need to put an end to that particular bear.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 26, 2017 6:37 am

LowKey wrote:If it was a bear, and given the time of year (not early spring when they're coming out of hibernation), if you've got a bear close by that's snatching large dogs to snack on and dragging them up into a tree to eat......you need to put an end to that particular bear.
Yep, it is really aggressive. Contact the Fish and Game and/ or Forestry Department in your area. They have ways of dealing with the problem that will keep you out of jail.

A long time ago I had one break in to my house and cause a big mess while I was out of town. They came and captured and released it back in to the wild with a tracking collar on it. It headed straight for the nearest cabin and broke in to it. They then had to destroy it, it was simply too dangerous.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri May 26, 2017 9:37 pm

I have them as well. They climb like squirrels. I would report the attack as you may have a problem bear. Also take any bird feeders in. They love the black sunflower seed.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Sat May 27, 2017 1:36 am

If you could say what state they are in it would be helpful. The Appalachian Mountains run from Alabama to New York. In east TN there was only one county that allowed black bear hunting in 2015, I haven't looked since then. That's on public land, generally if an animal is not endangered and is on private land you can get a (nuisance)? permit on private land. This may not apply to other states.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:52 pm

Well this isn't really a newsworthy thread, but basically this is what happens when the PA game commission gets involved.... they do nothing.

Long Story Short:

Neighbor has a bird feeder and a doggy door. Bear's have come around before, but only once a year or so. 1:00AM Bear decides to visit bird feeder. Dog runs out of doggy after being awoken. Neighbor hears dog, runs outside. Sees bear mauling dog. Neighbor has no gun. Bear takes dog up tree about 10 foot. Neighbor runs up to tree and yells and carries on. Bear drops dog and takes off. Dog lives after surgery and many stitches, neighbor upset, bear run away to other neighbor's house where it destroys their "garbage shed".

Neighbor calls PA game commission. PAGC officer jokes that he could fine the owner for the feeder and if he shot the bear he "might feel like pardoning him, might not". PAGC says they will bring a humane barrel tap out within a week. Been a couple weeks, no trap, no call. Neighbor still very upset. Oh, and they would only relocate the bear about 6 miles away...

Bear still attacking trash cans. Third neighbor states that his game camera picked up to 5 different bear: 3 small, 2 very big.

End of story: bear attacked gf's trash last night and little sister saw from balcony. JeeperCreeper can't wait for bear season.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:03 pm

When's bear season start ?

Any second now ! :shock:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:07 pm

flybynight wrote:When's bear season start ?

Any second now ! :shock:
HAHAHA I feel like with PA and their laws, I'd more easily go to jail for defending against a bear than a human...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:02 am

That is bullshit, call the guy's boss or call the head office and tell them you want to make a complaint. Start documenting, get the name of whoever you talk to and tell him you will be documenting for record your conversation. Make them specify days they will be coming out to do something about it or explain why they won't be. You also need to put up a game camera to document.

If you have a dangerous animal running around loose they have an obligation to do something about it. A lot of these game warden and forestry jobs are insider family jobs too. If that is the case he may feel his job is safe and could run a bit on the lazy side. If you don't get any results keep climbing or contact your local political rep. Explain your documented steps and what they are not doing. Pols mostly love stuff like that as they feel they are helping a voter by making the government work better.

If you get in a situation where the animal breaks in and you have to shoot the animal you can save yourself thousands in legal fees up front by showing you were making the effort to do the right but were not getting the any action from the state.

Fifty years ago you shoot the bear, get a nice rug and done. These days some DA will drag you through the court of this.
Shall be my brother

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:08 pm

If you see a bear call 911 and report it. Odds are the local PD will not respond but at least you have documented the incident and you build the data points for the bear being a problem.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:26 pm

raptor wrote:If you see a bear call 911 and report it. Odds are the local PD will not respond but at least you have documented the incident and you build the data points for the bear being a problem.
Odds are the police will respond unless bears are very common in his area.

This isn't NOLA where the police are like; "Are you sure he is dead? Did you check his pulse?"
Shall be my brother

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Stercutus wrote: This isn't NOLA where the police are like; "Are you sure he is dead? Did you check his pulse?"
Are you kidding? NOPD does not even expend that much effort. :wink:

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:59 pm

I don't know the laws up in PA but what about a trap? Heck, even a bunch of mouse traps is gonna hurt that bear but not kill it. Or if you have some time a bear pit. Dig a deep hole, line top of hole with something maybe a sheet and styrofoam or thin plywood and bait it, bear comes in goes for the food and falls into the whole. If it lives call the game warden if not...... fill in the hole and refuse to talk about bears any more.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:17 pm

The Twizzler wrote:I don't know the laws up in PA but what about a trap? Heck, even a bunch of mouse traps is gonna hurt that bear but not kill it. Or if you have some time a bear pit. Dig a deep hole, line top of hole with something maybe a sheet and styrofoam or thin plywood and bait it, bear comes in goes for the food and falls into the whole. If it lives call the game warden if not...... fill in the hole and refuse to talk about bears any more.

The whole point was that killing the beer would be illegal.
Shall be my brother

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Stercutus wrote:

The whole point was that killing the beer would be illegal.
I always kill beer. :awesome:

Return to “Bushcraft”