Looking for wilderness first aid and other training

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KnifeStyle

Looking for wilderness first aid and other training

Post by KnifeStyle » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:23 pm

I have some idle time to kill over this winter, looking to make the most of it with some courses or classes. Anyone know what I should look for in a wilderness first aid course to get my money's worth? Also, any other standardized courses for the outdoors that would be handy and utilitarian?
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

SCBrian

Re: Looking for wilderness first aid and other training

Post by SCBrian » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:16 pm

KnifeStyle wrote:I have some idle time to kill over this winter, looking to make the most of it with some courses or classes. Anyone know what I should look for in a wilderness first aid course to get my money's worth? Also, any other standardized courses for the outdoors that would be handy and utilitarian?
Look for one that's "Hands on", and offers a practical exam. I've seen instructors who taught great from the book, and I've seen instructors who were great 'hands on', I learned more from hands on. This could vary by instructor as well. I've had the course and a few re certs over the years.
NOLS is one of the pinnacles for companies teaching the course. Lots of other companies teaching as well. ECSI & ASHI come to mind. It's a 20 Hour course.
No Joke - check with your local Boy scout Council office, WFA is becoming more encouraged for most "Off pavement" trips (IIRC if you are more than 30 minutes from medical attention, it's required). This time of year, most Boy Scout councils are gearing up for Winter Camp, and many offer this course over the time between Christmas and New Years. Girl Scouts may also offer it. Check local outdoor centers to see if they offer it, or can recommend someone local for it...
You'll pick up some eye opening stuff Depending on the instructor, you may even discuss when to not even bother with cpr, etc...

https://www.nols.edu/portal/wmi/courses/wfa/
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:46 pm

Agree that you should check with your local Boy Scout Council. It varies by Council, but you will probably have to become an adult volunteer. By the way, this is a course that takes a couple of weekends.

Becoming an assistant scoutmaster or Venturing advisor is a good way to positively influence the lives of young men and women.

If you don't think you have that much time (hour a week) you could be a merit badge counselor. That's where you use your expertise and instruct Scouts on earning one of the hundred plus merit badges. So if you are an architect, you counsel on the architecture merit badge.

Even as an adult you can pick up a lot of skills. They even have a composite materials merit badge. Imagine that.
Last edited by Evan the Diplomat on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

CK14

Post by CK14 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:25 pm

I second NOLS. This past January I took the Wilderness First Responder course and it was well worth the time. I'm not sure what it cost since I took it as training for work but It was great. I went in with just standard Red Cross First-aid training, and was easily able to keep up with the course. We did lots of hands on practicals probably 65% of the class was outside and hands on Final exam was 100 question written and a pretty challenging practical that took about 30 min. Certification is good for 2 years. Many people in our area use this certification as the first step towards EMT.
Pee when you can, eat when you can.

Return to “Bushcraft”