We need to up our bush shelter game folks

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

We need to up our bush shelter game folks

Post by ineffableone » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:23 pm

Hey folks, I have been busy working on my homestead and only have internet when I come into town. So I haven't been participating too much on the forum. I have been reading threads some, but just don't have the time to spend like I used to. I am visiting family and so have been catching up on the internet a bit. I found something I just had to share.

While watching a youtube video I saw an interesting video in the recommended section to the side. Clicked and was just amazed. Not even finished I opened the channel and saw the maker had a lot more videos similar.

Here is the 1st video I came across

BTW this is just the beginning of this build, in later videos he adds on more and more. Really making this a super deluxe shelter.

The channel name is Tube Unique Wilderness https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJjhee ... IfQ/videos
And he has some amazing shelter builds as well as some crazy food vids.

Now this stuff reminds me a bit of a channel we all are probably familiar with, Primitive Technology https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JX ... dBA/videos and if not well worth checking out, but this new discovery is taking things a lot further. Taking luxury western living and using "primitive" shelter making skills to duplicate what might be seen in multimillion dollar homes.

But this was just the tip of the iceberg, there are more channels like this. I started to notice in the recommended section other similar videos but from other channels. At first I assumed it was the same guy with different channels, but when I started checking the videos out. I found they were completely different channels.

Here are just a few of the ones I found.
Building Skill https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpNH_w ... 0Gg/videos
Survival Skills Primitive https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChUP6B ... 1og/videos
Brave Wilderness Primitive https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1DknE ... aVA/videos
Primitive Skills https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs8DNF ... G9g/videos
Primitive Technology Ideas https://www.youtube.com/user/stockytheduke/videos
(who I had been subbed to already back when they had just started out, but had missed their evolution into a rather prolific channel.)
Primitive Life https://www.youtube.com/user/laws507/videos *edit, Had to add this channel to the list just because it was so awesome and I had missed posting it

There are just too many amazing videos to pick others to post here, I would end up just filling this post with amazing videos. These channels listed vary a bit, some are more hunting and eating wild foods, others more shelter building, others more inventive primitive technology. They all have some awesome content, and are worth checking out to see how simple materials can achieve amazing things.

There are a bunch of similar channels that are just the hunting and eating of "exotic" foods. I am sure if you start down this rabbit hole of youtube channels you will discover a lot more, just as I did. I just wanted to cover the basics here and focus on the ones that had amazing crazy shelter building and primitive technologies.

Amazing thing too, a lot of these videos have 8 million + views already. The channels have millions of subscribers. So these channels are very popular.
Last edited by ineffableone on Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: We need to up our bush shelter game folks

Post by ineffableone » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:31 pm

As my brother pointed out, these folks have resources we don't in these rain forests. From abundant vines for lashing, to choices of wood for poles, and so much more. However I still think the skills, inventiveness, and ingenuity demonstrated in these videos can hopefully inspire us to up our game for building "primitive" shelters. After watching some of these videos I have a hard time calling them primitive, they are complex and sophisticated. What we are doing out in the woods with some of our best shelters is primitive, but what these folks are doing is building modern shelters with "primitive" skills.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:14 pm

Great find! And I just need to get back out a d building shelters. Even the primitive ones. I'm out of practice.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:35 pm

If they did a bunch of these projects on the same site, they could have a very impressively palatial estate. Maybe not as long-lived as a "proper" one ...or maybe longer... :idea: Some pretty ancient structures still standing around the world.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:56 pm

I added another channel I had missed, Primitive Life.

It was too good of a channel to not have in the list above. He is working with a lot more permanence. Using stone work and primitive concrete.
velojym wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:35 pm
If they did a bunch of these projects on the same site, they could have a very impressively palatial estate. Maybe not as long-lived as a "proper" one ...or maybe longer... :idea: Some pretty ancient structures still standing around the world.
Would be awesome to see some of this combined into a village/town set up. These channels though are from different areas I think. So it is not like they could combine together eachother's work.

The new channel I linked, Primitive Life is building much more permanent stuff. It is amazing. But some of the others are ass well. Some of the stuff is more entertainment and just demo of skills and ideas. While others are more practical based and possibly actually using what they build as homes. The more entertainment level stuff still has some amazing skills and can be used as inspiration for just what is possible if you really think about it.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:15 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:14 pm
Great find! And I just need to get back out a d building shelters. Even the primitive ones. I'm out of practice.
These have for sure inspired me to do some of these sorts of big build bush shelters on my homestead property. I am hoping to start working on my house this spring, but doing some of these sorts of projects could be fun diversions from the more serious work. Plus make for great guest housing for visitors. :clap:

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:35 pm

I found this video last night and thought I would share it on this thread. It is a psych explanation why we like to watch the videos produced by Primitive Technology.

Of course the maker of this video assumes we are just the typical couch potato who doesn't get outside. So mileage might vary for those on this forum.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:36 am

I went through a period of watching a TON of Filipino guys. The only one I still watch is the “Peimitive Skills” guy. Because I like that he actually tries to run a homestead. The “Primitive Technology” guy hasn’t been updating as much as he used to. Used to updated in the first week of the month, but not anymore. He’s got some great videos.

I’ve been watching a lot of TA Outdoors and Bushcraft Tools.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:36 am
I went through a period of watching a TON of Filipino guys. The only one I still watch is the “Peimitive Skills” guy. Because I like that he actually tries to run a homestead. The “Primitive Technology” guy hasn’t been updating as much as he used to. Used to updated in the first week of the month, but not anymore. He’s got some great videos.

I’ve been watching a lot of TA Outdoors and Bushcraft Tools.
Yes I was impressed with Primitive Skills, while what he is doing might not be as impressive looking builds they are more practical like Primitive Technology. Though PS is actually doing it as a livable place instead of PTs proof of concept.

Primitive Life has some pretty good practical work as well. Though does seem to succumb to the less practical here and there.

The biggest thing some of these less practical channels do for me though, is show just what is really possible. While plenty of it is not so practical the skills and knowledge could be used to do more practical and still very impressive bush shelter stuff.

Too often I think people rely on the same handful of shelter ideas without thinking about what they might be able to do to make a better design. While some of this is due to these repetitive designs being tried and true structure designs. I also think it is difficult for people to break out of a rut and think creatively.

That is what I loved about this site http://100wildhuts.blogspot.com/ Which started with pretty basic designs but quickly broke the mold and got creative. Sadly he never reached the 100 mark, and only got to hut 21

For example the hut 21 is a round shelter with staggered bunk beds, that is just awesome innovative thinking in shelter building

My point being that there is likely some amazing shelter designs we can be coming up with. While most will end up being one offs, and not useful for others except as inspiration, some might actually be useful designs that can really help folks who are into bushcraft and primitive skills. We can take some inspiration from these channels as well as from things we learned from the past shelters and even toss in some modern ideas with some pure creative ingenuity.

Which is why I titled the thread "We need to up our bush shelter game folks" since it is pretty obvious there is a lot of unused ideas on shelter building out there that could be utilized. Who knows one of us might end up inventing a shelter design that takes off and becomes the go to bush shelter for the future bushcrafters.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:38 am

I’ve only got 5 acres, but I have convinced the GF that we should make a primitive camp at the bottom of the property for “camping adventures” she’s down. I told her it would have to be done with hand tools and we’d have to spend the knight in them. So we’ll see. We are going to clear an area first nothing major just a little flat spot because we are on a hill.

It would be fun to come up with some stuff. Challenge accepted!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:38 pm

We have a .66 acre lot, on the side of a hill in fairly heavy woods.
Though the local rules prevent building a site-built structure without permits and all the official fluff, the lower part of the property, by the little creek, isn't visible from the road.
I can see an arrangement of saplings and dirt, properly arranged, wouldn't be noticeable, and would be a great little back-yard getaway spot where I could go for a little peace and quiet, and to practice some woodcraft skills away from the "nice" house.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:48 pm

Awesome you guys are getting into it.

I am visiting family, which is part of why I have suddenly become so much more active online having access to the internet in abundance here.

But once I get home to my 40 acres, I will be scouting places to start working on bush shelters as well.

Now I will be a bit distracted from bush shelters by actually beginning work on my house. But I figure a lot of bush shelter resources will come from felling trees and milling timber, etc.. So I can likely use some of what is left over from the home building to build some awesome bush shelters. Way I figure, some good guest housing and fun for kids who visit.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:49 am

ineffableone wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:48 pm
Awesome you guys are getting into it.

I am visiting family, which is part of why I have suddenly become so much more active online having access to the internet in abundance here.

But once I get home to my 40 acres, I will be scouting places to start working on bush shelters as well.

Now I will be a bit distracted from bush shelters by actually beginning work on my house. But I figure a lot of bush shelter resources will come from felling trees and milling timber, etc.. So I can likely use some of what is left over from the home building to build some awesome bush shelters. Way I figure, some good guest housing and fun for kids who visit.
Hell yeah! Congrats on the house, and using extra material sounds quite resourceful, well within the woodscraft thought!

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:45 am

Well the house build will take some time. I will be happy if I get all the posts and beams set this year. That alone will be a challenge to do in the time I will have to do it.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Bushcraft”