Snow Peak Ti Spork Friction Fire Bearing Block.

Devoted to survival skills in the wilderness

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Snow Peak Ti Spork Friction Fire Bearing Block.

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:26 pm

I decided to revisit an old skill. For me the bearing block is the hardest part of the set to get working right on the fly. So like to improvise with items in my kit. What are the chances of me being wildly lost in the woods then forced to use a spork as a bearing block in a survival situation. Just a little above ZERO however that's not really the point. This stuff first and foremost should be fun.

Tulip Poplar bark. Going to use this for the tinder bundle. It was a bit damp/frozen in areas however tossed some in my pocket to warm up.

Yellow Birch Bark. Hydrocarbon acceleration.

There.

Basically the sharp end of the spindle spins in the spoon the blunt end in the fire board. I tried a little wood platform made of splintered wood from a ice storm damaged tree. Too unstable so went with an oak leaf to hold the coal.

Let to coal solidify a bit.

The handle of the spork worked well to free the coal from the fireboard.

Chaga coal extender in the fluffed up tulip poplar tinder bundle.

Fire!

Bacon!

That's about it. Nothing revolutionary. A spoon does make for a bearing block. Remember to shield your hands from heat. In this case I used a glove but a sock also works.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Snow Peak Ti Spork Friction Fire Bearing Block.

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:36 am

This merits a response. Really appreciate your posts, MWW. Interesting and worthwhile subjects, lots of detail, well illustrated, great videos.

Plus I cannot help but notice that all your how-tos on fire starting always seem to lead to cooking, and your cooking is largely centered around bacon. Everything is better when you add bacon. :clap:

Zed Hunter

Re: Snow Peak Ti Spork Friction Fire Bearing Block.

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:46 pm

The holy bacon.

Return to “Bushcraft”