It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:56 pm 

I don't think Jose purposely tipped his kayak over but he certainly capitalized on the opportunity to go home. I too found it odd he was just standing in the water instead of getting a fire started. As long as his sleeping bag was dry, he would have made it.

I'm not being judgemental, he did a great job. I'd have made it 7-10 days. Tops.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:37 pm 
BANNED

Nobody who's not a hunter and trapper is ever going to win this. Nobody who's not 60 lbs of bodyfat is going to win it, either. You have to take the right stuff, you have to have the right knowledge and mental toughness, you have to find, swiftly, a decent place, and you have to get really busy your first week. If you're not getting several lbs of (ready to eat) food per day, (reliably, every day) by the end of 2 weeks, you're not going to win, so you might as well tap out and go back to your regular job.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:42 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

bufordtjustice wrote:
I don't think Jose purposely tipped his kayak over but he certainly capitalized on the opportunity to go home. I too found it odd he was just standing in the water instead of getting a fire started. As long as his sleeping bag was dry, he would have made it.

I'm not being judgemental, he did a great job. I'd have made it 7-10 days. Tops.

Sometimes your body temp just crashes after exposure and things get funky. I been there and even then can't explain it beyond things just happen. Nothing surprises me if someone is cold.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:10 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Bump....new season starts tonight. Seven 2-person teams, back on Vancouver island.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:47 am 

Watching it now... 46 minutes in.
OMG, as they say. Didn't expect that to happen.

Does anyone know what month they filmed this?

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:22 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

ZombieGranny wrote:

I want to say the seasons that take place on Vancouver island start in October, but I'm not 100%.Image

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Last edited by RickOShea on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:28 pm 

I got bored last season, didn't finish it.

This season seems interesting it's not quite "Alone" but still love the idea. The team aspect where one person is hiking to the other is an interesting bit. What the guys and I noticed that (spoiler here) the brothers that tapped the one that was hiking set up camp at 1600 or so, and only made half a mile. I get it rough terrain but I've bushwhacked in the same stuff and put in 5-10 miles depending. That 10 miles apart should be 2 days MAYBE 3.

So far I'm predicting the husband and wife team is going to win. They seem to have gone through things like this before.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:01 am 

Another team gone and only 4 days in?

The main lesson learned so far?
Survival is HARD.
About a fourth of the people have had some sort of injury already.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:56 am 

ZombieGranny wrote:
Another team gone and only 4 days in?

The main lesson learned so far?
Survival is HARD.
About a fourth of the people have had some sort of injury already.

Watching these guys and gals is tough. I was curious as to how bad it is to bushwhack in that kind of stuff. So I headed to an area that is similar and started out. I made about 3 miles in 2 1/2 hours. I'm fat and out of shape right now, and I could probably have done more, at that rate I'd have made it to the general area of my partner in 3 days. They are now on day 5 or 6 and I think one guy is 1 mile or so from his partner. Others are still 5 miles apart. I just don't know how they are going so slow. Maybe its producers telling them they needs to be slow or what.

My bet is still on the husband and wife team. Did you guys see the chimney?!? She is making one hell of a set up, so far probably the best I've ever seen in a survival show. I cant wait to see what she comes up with next. Also I think the brother team has a pretty good set up going.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:09 pm 

I can see how they're taking a while, if you don't know how to move in that vegetation it's like going through a ball of string.
Not to mention the moss and loose rocks make slippery walking.
But still... they knew they were going to do this, and started fresh.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:04 pm 

I do LOVE hearing people before they do this talk about how they are outdoorsy and go hunting and do all that, then get there and realize the difference. I suppose you and I grew up in this kind of stuff, we are used to the rain, the wet, terrain and vegetation.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:35 pm 

Ooh yeah - toss me in the desert and I'm one unhappy Gramma.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:37 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

ZombieGranny wrote:
Ooh yeah - toss me in the desert and I'm one unhappy Gramma.

I'll take almost anything over that depressing cold rainy mess.

The light got pretty dim in this Texan's eyes just being stationed in Germany. :gonk: Being alone and fighting to survive in those conditions would be just horrible.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:32 am 

I've found a person either loves it here, or wants to kill themselves.
No middle ground.
<*)))-{

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:06 am 

ZombieGranny wrote:
I've found a person either loves it here, or wants to kill themselves.
No middle ground.
<*)))-{

And THAT is why we have S.A.D.

I personally love it, does it suck camping in it? Sure, but give me rain and cold weather any day!

OT, I was sad to see that guy get hurt. They were so close to meeting up!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:50 pm 

Watched the first season then forgot about this series, just finished binge watching the first three episodes and remembered why this was the only survival series I watched besides Survivorman.

So far my money is on either the husband & wife team (how badass is that gal?!) or the Canadian brothers as the stealth bomber dark horse. Guessing going to come down to those two teams.

I always wonder why nobody thought to make a skin on frame boat from a tarp? Didn't have the guys bring bows in the 1st season, and pretty much shot nothing with them. Atleast two teams are doing the same thing again, but no boats! Screw that slogging for a mile a day nonsense, spend a day or two throwing together a cedar frame wrapped in a tarp and paddle down the coast for an afternoon.

What has me worried about the husband & wife is the relative lack of fishing experience & effort. The guys that will hang in the longest learn to harvest the bounty from the sea the quickest and most effective.

And that one Chum salmon the one guy nabbed was looking pretty knarly, so has to be middle to late August. Chum aren't the first to run, and that fish was pretty much half dead already.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:30 pm 

Tireur wrote:
I always wonder why nobody thought to make a skin on frame boat from a tarp? Didn't have the guys bring bows in the 1st season, and pretty much shot nothing with them. Atleast two teams are doing the same thing again, but no boats! Screw that slogging for a mile a day nonsense, spend a day or two throwing together a cedar frame wrapped in a tarp and paddle down the coast for an afternoon.

A guy in season 2 did that, made a tarp skin boat and it worked alright until it didn't. The other issue I've seen with the idea of making a tarp boat is, a lot of these guys were dropped in the middle of the island and had to bushwhack it. only 2 have come across a "pond" as the one guy calls it.

The team that met up last episode were the only ones that were on the coast at all. So they were the only ones that could have done that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:42 pm 

Halfapint wrote:
Tireur wrote:

A guy in season 2 did that, made a tarp skin boat and it worked alright until it didn't. The other issue I've seen with the idea of making a tarp boat is, a lot of these guys were dropped in the middle of the island and had to bushwhack it. only 2 have come across a "pond" as the one guy calls it.

The team that met up last episode were the only ones that were on the coast at all. So they were the only ones that could have done that.

I meant to say "HALF" the guys brought bows in the 1st season...ugh damn updating autocorrect, argh.
Somebody DID make a boat? Damn now I have to hunt up Season 2. In BC it's all about water travel, that land bridge stuff is nonsense. Humans first got there by boat, always travelled by boat, STILL travel by boat. The sea is life.

The hubby half is pretty near the coast I thought? Paddling up with a catch of seabass or salmon on Day 5 after UberWife has already built the UberCamp, I can get on board with that. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:02 am 

Halfapint wrote:
Tireur wrote:

Caught up with Season 2 (didn't watch it when it was on, that was pretty good actually), and the Spanish guys boat had "issues" from start to finish so it was never going to work well, simply from a design perspective (you can't really have a flat bottomed canoe).

Looking forward to the next episode.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:28 pm 

Sheesh, is this board dying off or what?

Caught the last episode, and again there's a guy that's heard of skin on frame tarp boats, but isn't really a paddler. That "boat" being built will never work, there are some fundamentally flawed things (flat bottom, nowhere near the displacement needed, it might float but it will be a tippy pig).

The husband & wife have to be strong favourites, they're making a good team, got the food on the way to being sorted, and they have the only thing that could be called a semi-permanent shelter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:05 am 

After seeing that guy cut his finger, I am becoming more convinced that I would want to choose a roll of duct tape as one of my ten items. (That's assuming the producers didn't limit it to a tiny roll).

I would probably go with something like this: 3 inch x 60 yard Orange Duct Tape

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

RickOShea wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:

I want to say the seasons that take place on Vancouver island start in October, but I'm not 100%.Image

When the two brothers from MS/LA decided to quit, it was day 14. And one of them said something about getting home in time for a daughter's birthday on November 20th.

ETA: So if day 66 is Christmas, then they would have started on....October 21st.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6