It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Friction fire fun!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:58 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Some time ago I participated in an online knife challenge. One of the things on my list when sending in the request for entry was to use the knife for a friction fire. Well I tried and for some reason couldn't get a coal that time. Ok I did everything and fulfilled the requirements as nothing is ever assured in life but never did totally forget it. I don't like leaving promises open so.....

MLL Amazon friction fire in the cold. GO! I was doing an axe review and wanted to make a fire so this would kill two birds with one stone. We are going to burn wood but first gotta get something. Tulip Poplar bark makes for good tinder nest material

The downside being the wood feels low density and tends to snap so dislike camping around these tall trees.

Some Friction fire stuff.

Tulip Poplar and Yellow Birch bark.

Platform and kindling ready!

Success!

Hold on...... Naw we got more. One of the downsides to doing a video review of something is I gotta go back and redo the friction fire to show yea all. Moving along the spindle and fireboard carved.

That split was a harbinger of trouble and it was. Look at the fireboard. The back split off during one attempt. The front split off during another attempt. Another attempt worked great but then I dropped the coal like a rookie. The next attempt worked then got a fire for the axe review video. So now another coal is needed just for the pics. 2 coals down one to go. For the previous coals I used the shot glass but this time the deer antler as a bearing block.

There we go.

I love it when the fireboard ignites.

Thanks for looking.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Friction fire fun!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:11 pm 

Very impressive! I've seen this before but I've never tried. I'm still trying to get the hang of a ferro rod. Finding appropriate tinder is the biggest hurdle for me. Doesn't help that everything seems to be wet in Western Washington for 75% of the year.

Post subject: Re: Friction fire fun!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:17 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

redcabeca wrote:
Very impressive! I've seen this before but I've never tried. I'm still trying to get the hang of a ferro rod. Finding appropriate tinder is the biggest hurdle for me. Doesn't help that everything seems to be wet in Western Washington for 75% of the year.

I think you have fat wood which ignites with a ferro rod and is immune to water penetration. Not sure about what's available for friction fire in your area.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.