Tony Serrano Century Bike Ride

Discussion forum for the Metro Atlanta chapter

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 016 Officers

tbrents42
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, Stacy: Attack of the Schoolgirl Zombies, Dead Snow 1 & 2

Tony Serrano Century Bike Ride

Post by tbrents42 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:06 pm

I know there were a few ZS members who were interested in volunteering ham radio services for this event.

It is this coming Saturday (April 9th, 2016) at 212 Bryant Road, Monroe, GA 30655.

There are fliers and directions on the website at http://www.tonyserranoride.com/

If you are interested in volunteering to work at one of the rest stops then you just need a mobile radio of some type (handi-talkie's will work) with a good enough antenna to be able to reach the walton county repeater groups repeater. If you are wanting to ride in one of the SAG (supplies and gear) vehicles then you need a good mobile radio with cigarette lighter type plug and a good mag mount antenna, as a handi-talkie will not work from inside a vehicle reliably. You will need to be onsite before 8:00 AM. I plan to be there by 7:30 AM.

The repeater frequency we will be using is 147.270 MHZ with a positive offset and a pl tone of 88.5. Also we use 147.555 as a simplex frequency if we have trouble with the repeater or propogation.

I look forward to seeing you there.
Tim (KK4JRN) of ZSC-016
THAT WHICH DOES NOT KILL ME SHOULD RUN

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Tony Serrano Century Bike Ride

Post by A Zombie » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:42 pm

I'll be there, but I'm not a HAM. Just lending a hand where needed, I guess. We're also supposed to have our April meeting after this event, but we'll have to see what the turnout is like. If anyone else plans on showing up and doesn't have my number, send me a PM and I'll give it to ya.
-A. Zombie

"All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're not unreasonable, I mean no one's gonna eat your eyes"

"I went to Raccoon City and all I got was this lousy T-virus"

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Zombie » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:34 am

Made much better time than I expected, so i'm here already.
-A. Zombie

"All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're not unreasonable, I mean no one's gonna eat your eyes"

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Zombie » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:49 pm

We had a great time and were well welcomed by the organizers, volunteers and participants. Tim can speak more to the HAM side of things, but the system they had was really cool. They had SAG vehicles that each had a driver and a radio operator. They reported to sites of known incidents, or drove around kept an eye out for incidents. They provided assistance where needed, and kept in communication with each other and the base via radio. It was cool.

I helped with a lot of the manual labor. Moving around and setting up tables, chairs, and tents. Unloading trucks. Filling up coolers and setting up the food area. Then I spent most of the day running the post-race food area. It was a blast. Definitely interested in doing it again next year. Great people organizing it and the racers are a great group of people as well.
-A. Zombie

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:43 pm

Sounds like we did well as a chapter. Thank you to those who attended on behalf of ZS

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
The future is for those who prepare.

tbrents42
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, Stacy: Attack of the Schoolgirl Zombies, Dead Snow 1 & 2

Post by tbrents42 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:08 am

Yeah, A Zombie pretty much nailed it. We only had one incident to respond to really it that was a minor "wheel-bender" where 2 bikes collided and one bike got it's wheel bent and the other rider had a few scrapes but was able to carry on and finish the ride.

It was a lovely day, if a bit windy but still a great event.
Tim (KK4JRN) of ZSC-016
THAT WHICH DOES NOT KILL ME SHOULD RUN

Return to “ZSC:016”