Dragoncon 2016

Discussion forum for the Metro Atlanta chapter

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 016 Officers

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Dragoncon 2016

Post by A Zombie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:18 am

Got a response from Shannon, she's the director of the Apoc Rising track.
Thanks for reaching out so early!

I know we'd definitely like your help with our Zombie Walk on Friday night
(8 PM). We can always use more zombie hunters to keep the walk safe and
orderly, as well as interactive and fun. If that's something your chapter
would be interested in helping with it'd be hugely appreciated!

Also, once we get more finite panels down I'm sure we'll see if any ZS
members are interested in being panelists on any of them. We're always
looking for knowledgeable folks who will bring a fresh perspective to
things. We're just now starting to plan, so we have a ways to go before we
anything resembling a schedule.

In the meantime, if you have any questions please feel free to e-mail,
text, or call. My cell is xxx-xxx-xxxx (I'm on the west coast).

Talk to you soon!
Shannon
-A. Zombie

"All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're not unreasonable, I mean no one's gonna eat your eyes"

"I went to Raccoon City and all I got was this lousy T-virus"

Slugg

Re: Dragoncon 2016

Post by Slugg » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:55 pm

Very cool. Sounds like we have a good Dragon Con going. Maybe we should start coordinating what our Zombie Hunter attire uniforms will be?
The future is for those who prepare.

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Zombie » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:36 pm

Hi Nick,

Hope things have been going well for you!

Apocalypse Rising is now in the full swing of planning and I wanted to check back in with you to make sure the Atlanta chapter was still up for helping. There's the Zombie Walk, as I mentioned previously, and there are also several panels I wanted to see if any of your members would have knowledge enough of the topics to be a panelist for.

If you and your team are still interested, let me know, and I'll send along some additional details.

Thanks!
Shannon
-A. Zombie

"All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're not unreasonable, I mean no one's gonna eat your eyes"

KJ4ZDD
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by KJ4ZDD » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:18 pm

Well, I've never actually been on a panel for dragon con, sounds like fun
KJ4ZDD of ZSC-016 -.- .--- ....- --.. -.. -..
General Class / Fleet#ZS-0511

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Zombie » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi Nick,

Planning is going well, and we're excited to have you guys involved!

For the Zombie Walk, that's exactly what we need. You guys to help keep the walk organized, on route, and make sure we don't generally devolve into mayhem :-) You guys are welcome to interact with the zombies, and the zombies will most assuredly interact back with you. We just want everyone to have fun! I'll also have a staff member or two with you guys, to act in an official capacity if anything does happen.

I've copied my second Sam on here. She's in charge of the zombie prom and will be able to speak to whether or not there's anything you could help with there.

As for panelists, right now we're looking for people knowledgeable on basic first aid, weapons of an everyday and realistic nature (knives, standard firearms, etc.), food and/or water conservation, etc. So if anyone should fit, let me know! Or, if you have anyone that really wants to be on panels I'm sure I can work with them to see if we have anything that would be a good fit.

Thanks again for your willingness to help us.

Thanks,
Shannon
-A. Zombie

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:09 am

KJ4ZDD wrote:Well, I've never actually been on a panel for dragon con, sounds like fun
Sounds like there may be a panel on ham radio?

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Zombie » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:57 pm

Doesn't look like there's one right now, but we might be able to incorporate it.

They could use someone for basic first aid, Slugg. And basic weapons.

I don't think any of us have a ton of varied food and water preservation experience.
-A. Zombie

KJ4ZDD
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by KJ4ZDD » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:04 pm

I've dabbled a bit in basic hot water canning, nothing too serious, just apple juices and tomatoes, things with a naturally high acidity. I know a bit about the more serious hardware, canning pressure cookers and such, needed for sterilizing less acidic foods.

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:01 pm

A Zombie wrote:Doesn't look like there's one right now, but we might be able to incorporate it.

They could use someone for basic first aid, Slugg. And basic weapons.

I don't think any of us have a ton of varied food and water preservation experience.
I don't really want to panel. I can ask around at work though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:30 pm

I have a friend at work that would want to table. He is law enforcement and can talk about his plans for a zombie horde while working at the jail. He won't be naming the county he works for or anything like that. He would need official permission from the county and that isn't really worth it.

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Zombie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:05 pm

He would like to panel? And he would be our common, ordinary weapons panelist, or is he also LPN and medically trained?
-A. Zombie

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:20 am

A Zombie wrote:He would like to panel? And he would be our common, ordinary weapons panelist, or is he also LPN and medically trained?
He isn't medically trained. I guess I misread the above post. I didn't see that they were only looking for those 2 types of people.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

KJ4ZDD
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by KJ4ZDD » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:40 pm

Has anybody asked about having our own spot in the Saturday Parade? If not, we need to get on it before all slots are taken (if they're not filled up already). If that's the case, we can probably still join with another group (last year VaderPainter had about 5 slots left for his "Zombie Hunter 001" vehicle). And, if at all possible, I'd like to not be the only one from ZS walking in it again (I do actually want to walk in the parade though).

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:38 am

ZS used to be a huge part of the Apocalypse Rising track, but that ended suddenly a few years back. It'd be great to have that start up again!

I usually help wrangle the zombie herd, in my Deputy Rick Grimes costume. It can be a lot of fun.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Zombie » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:53 am

Akin wrote:ZS used to be a huge part of the Apocalypse Rising track, but that ended suddenly a few years back. It'd be great to have that start up again!

I usually help wrangle the zombie herd, in my Deputy Rick Grimes costume. It can be a lot of fun.
I'm trying! and if you plan on coming on down, we'd love to have your help with security for the Zombie March.

KJ4ZDD, we didn't submit anything for the parade. I'm sure it's too late, but we can check anyway. I know a Resident Evil group was interested in having us walk with them, but I think they were looking for zombies. We could check with VaderPainter too. And hey, maybe Shannon can get us something.

Side note- do we have anyone who wants to be a panelist? I'm sure she's trying to start nailing down these panels ASAP.
-A. Zombie

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:21 pm

A Zombie wrote:I'm trying! and if you plan on coming on down, we'd love to have your help with security for the Zombie March.

KJ4ZDD, we didn't submit anything for the parade. I'm sure it's too late, but we can check anyway. I know a Resident Evil group was interested in having us walk with them, but I think they were looking for zombies. We could check with VaderPainter too. And hey, maybe Shannon can get us something.

Side note- do we have anyone who wants to be a panelist? I'm sure she's trying to start nailing down these panels ASAP.
Yeah, I'll be there, as always. I've been a wrangler on the march for the past five or six years... I know Shannon (the track director) out here in SoCal, and I help out wherever I can
Last edited by Akin on Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

KJ4ZDD
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by KJ4ZDD » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:57 am

Confirming, we are currently *not* hosting a fan table for Dragon Con this year, due to the fact at least one of us has to sit at the table, like a desk job, from 9-5ish every day. Unless we have more support for this, last year it put quite a strain on the small handful of us volunteers present.

Still going to be part of Apocalypse Rising, Parade, Zombie Walk, flyers tables, possibly the Zombie Prom

Still looking for a few more of us willing to walk in the parade as well.

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Zombie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:23 pm

Hey guys, who all plans on helping out with the Zombie walk? Shannon's looking for numbers so she can plan accordingly.
-A. Zombie

KJ4ZDD
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by KJ4ZDD » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:46 am

Count me in for the Zombie Walk

KJ4ZDD
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by KJ4ZDD » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:58 pm

I'm doing a mad dash packing for Dragon Con, and this section is surprisingly quiet. Con starts tomorrow, and for some even later today.

Slugg had an idea to coordinate outfits for the Zombie Walk, suggesting jeans, an OD green shirt, and green tactical gear. I'll pack those, as well as a black kilt, a green camouflage kilt, the black ZS shirt, combat boots, knee pads, and enough tactical radio equipment to outfit at least 3 people. I'll probably be the flag waver again, unless someone else would like the honor.

Seriously, if there is to be any discussion of what to bring, do it now before we're situated at the convention.

KJ4ZDD
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by KJ4ZDD » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:16 pm

Just in case people are using Facebook for calendar planning, here's the event page for the Zombie Walk being hosted by the Dragon Con Apocalypse Rising Track, this Friday from 8:30-10:00pm:

https://www.facebook.com/events/323074994696530/?ti=cl

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Zombie » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:03 am

Yeah, it seems most Dragoncon convos have been happening over FB or text, seeing as we didn't really get any interest here on the forum other than you, me, and Slugg. If anyone else plans on showing up last minute and helping out, let me know! Also, all the FB info is correct, but volunteers should show up at 8 for instructions, and then everyone else shows up at 8:30 for general announcements, a group photo, and then the walk.
-A. Zombie

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:44 pm

So, DragonCon was fun. We had a pretty good zombie walk and met some cool zombies on the walk. Thanks George for bringing the walkies and everyone for being zombie hunters.

Return to “ZSC:016”