Stone Mountain Hamfest, November 7-8, 2015

Discussion forum for the Metro Atlanta chapter

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 016 Officers

KJ4ZDD
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Stone Mountain Hamfest, November 7-8, 2015

Post by KJ4ZDD » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:11 pm

Get ready for the next local Ham Radio event, the Stone Mountain Hamfest, sponsored by the Alford Memorial Radio Club.

When: November 7th & 8th, Saturday 8:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday 8:00am - 2:00pm
Where: the Gwinnett County Fairgrounds, 2405 Sugarloaf Pkwy, Lawrenceville, GA 30045
Local repeater talk-in: W4BOC, 146.760(-) pl 107.2 (Stone Mountain)
Admission: $6 in advance, $8 at the gate.
Website for Hamfest: http://www.stonemountainhamfest.com
Website for AMRC: http://www.totr-radio.org

I've written an email to the Hamfest Chairman, Chris Balch (KS4MM), requesting information on what it would take to have a table at this hamfest. I'll keep y'all posted on any updates I receive, and once we get enough information we can submit this as an official event to HQ.
KJ4ZDD of ZSC-016 -.- .--- ....- --.. -.. -..
General Class / Fleet#ZS-0511

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Stone Mountain Hamfest, November 7-8, 2015

Post by A Zombie » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:56 pm

I'm down. If my schedule stays the same, I have that weekend off already. I don't know jack about Ham, so this might be a good place to start. And, of course, I could man our table. Let us know when you've heard back. The sooner we can get an event request in, the better.
-A. Zombie

"All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're not unreasonable, I mean no one's gonna eat your eyes"

"I went to Raccoon City and all I got was this lousy T-virus"

KJ4ZDD
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by KJ4ZDD » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:42 am

I still haven't heard anything back, I may just end up going to their next meeting, which will be:

September 10th, 2015, at 7PM
The Alford Memorial Radio Club
Second Thursday of every month at 7:00 pm
Annistown Road Baptist Church
4554 Annistown Rd, Snellville, GA 30039

The meeting will be centered around Anderson Power Pole Connectors (it's a compact way to secure 12-volt power lines at high amperage). While I'd be there specifically to ask about ZS having a table at the hamfest, it's open to anybody that wants to attend, if anyone else has the desire to check out a ham radio group in the area.

Davo

Post by Davo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:56 am

Sorry, Thursdays are no good for me.
Image Image

KJ4ZDD
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by KJ4ZDD » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:42 pm

I got a reply from the hamfest chairman, apparently the cost for other radio clubs is $75, which is still less than standard vendor prices. Though, that still didn't address the "we are a non-profit" angle, I'll have to get back to him on that.

KJ4ZDD
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by KJ4ZDD » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:49 pm

I made it to the AMRC meeting, and it was very welcoming to step into a group of people eager to teach everything there is to know about powerpole connectors. While the Hamfest chairman wasn't there, the club president was. He took my application, and confirmed our place at the Hamfest with a club table. While the exact location has yet to be determined, we should be in the same building we were before, the Main Exhibitor Hall. They know we are Zombie Squad, and that we are attending both days of the Hamfest.

Feel free to send an official event request to HQ.

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Zombie » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:27 pm

Just checking for understanding. We have a spot reserved as a club table, so that includes a $75 fee?

And I haven't submitted anything to HQ about this, has anyone else? We need to get this in soon to make sure they have enough time to review it. I have no doubts that it will be approved, it's just a matter of being approved in time.
-A. Zombie

"All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're not unreasonable, I mean no one's gonna eat your eyes"

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Zombie » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:00 am

This is in a week and a half, where are we with this? I'll be there, who else is coming? Do we need any supplies still?
-A. Zombie

Davo

Post by Davo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:45 am

I may have to work that morning. I should be able to swing by for a while Saturday afternoon; Sunday will depend on how things work out.
Image Image

KJ4ZDD
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by KJ4ZDD » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:34 pm

I've got confirmation of our table location, load in times, helpful facts from the people that run the show that I'll post in the OP. One thing of note: anybody that attends the hamfest, as well as everyone that man's the tables, needs an entry ticket. They are $6 in advance, or $8 at the gate, and this is good for both days. Kinda like Dragon Con, where you need a badge no matter what you do, except this is far more reasonable.

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Zombie » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:23 pm

Awesome! Just making sure we're all on the same page with this event, with it being so close and everything.
-A. Zombie

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Zombie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:11 pm

Man, you guys have been quiet recently. Hopefully we'll liven things up a bit with this event. I'll be there bright and early tomorrow, and will be there all day. I'll be there bright and early Sunday as well, but I'll have to dip out around noon.
-A. Zombie

KI4HQD

Post by KI4HQD » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:37 pm

I met two of you who were manning the booth at the Alford Memorial Radio Club Hamfest on Saturday afternoon. Signing up for this board seemed to be the best/only way for me to learn more about your organization. I am an amateur radio operator, KI4HQD, located near downtown Stone Mountain.

I appreciated your members taking the time to have a booth at the Hamfest and appreciate that you're interested in educating folks about ham radio along with other subjects.

I will try to read through the local and national boards to learn more, but since posting seemed to be the only way to announce my interest, here I am. Life and work are plenty busy for me already, but I appreciate the spirit of what I saw on Saturday and maybe I can contribute a little.

Davo

Post by Davo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:30 am

HI, KI4HQD.

I am have my licence, but am largely inactive, and I live just between Clarkston and Stone Mountain.

Welcome to the boards. I hope that we will see you at at our meeting on Saturday.
Image Image

KJ4ZDD
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by KJ4ZDD » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:02 pm

I was browsing the Stone Mountain Hamfest website, and if you click on the 2015 picture gallery, we are the first thing you see:

ps: I'll get this archived on one of my own servers soon, in case it's not on their site forever.

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by A Zombie » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:00 am

That's awesome! I know we were invited back this year, but have we talked with them at all?

Also, this year is flying by. I wanted to get my tech license here this year... I need to start studying.
-A. Zombie

Return to “ZSC:016”