Preparedness Event brainstorming

Discussion forum for the Metro Atlanta chapter

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 016 Officers

Post Reply
A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:38 pm
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA

Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by A Zombie » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:31 pm

In the same line of thinking as the Charity event brainstorming topic, we need ideas for preparedness events.

Once we become a chapter, we are required to host at least two preparedness events a year to remain a chapter.

What types of events would you guys like to see? I can (and will) spew out a bunch of ideas of what we could do, but what do you guys want to do? Preparedness is such a broad topic, it encompasses a lot, so we have a lot of leeway here.

I plan on editing this post to include all new idea and keep a running list of our preparedness ideas. Post any ideas you may have, or things you want to see. It doesn't have to be full blown events, it can be little things you want to see in an event. You may want to know more about what to include in a First Aid Kit (FAK). We could have a whole seminar on that, or include a class during a Mock Bug Out (MBO), or include that in any number of activities.
  • First Aid classes (various experience levels)
  • Mock Bug Outs (MBO): So many MBOs. Summer MBOs, Winter MBOs, Mountain MBOs, Forest MBOs. SO MANY MBO'S!!!
  • Bug Out Bag classes (BOB)
  • Ham Radio classes
  • Crafts-type classes. Knitting, wood carving/crafting, etc. For certain crafts, we can donate what we make to charities (like scarves, blankets, etc.) and for other crafts we can sell them at our tabling events (paracord bracelets, for example), and of course we can always use what we make.
  • Range trips. Just to shoot, or for gun safety, cleaning, etc. training
  • Self defense classes
  • Pet bug out bags, and other pet-related survival info. Can't forget about the animals!
  • Wild edibles- our BOBs, BOVs, and BOLs can only have so many supplies. If we're out in the wild, what can we eat and what should we avoid?
  • Bug Out Vehicle (BOV) kit classes, for both summer and winter, or in general
  • Hunting- everything. Safety, snares, traps, field dressing, tracking.
  • Gardening- basics through advanced
  • Archery?
  • BOB hikes
  • Actual emergency training. So we have our BoBs, BoVs, BoLs, but what do we actually do in case of a tornado? Earthquake? Flood? etc.
  • Hide Tanning class- Slugg
  • Vitamin, herb, etc. uses in maintaining health & treating injury or illness.
  • Small scale power storage / generation options, in an emergency some light, communications, perhaps music can make a significant difference in morale.
  • Water filtration, disinfecting, distillation, etc.
  • Air filtration and maintaining positive pressure of "good" air in a sealed structure (allowing for changes in air pressure), plants that help clean air.
Last edited by A Zombie on Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-A. Zombie

"All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're not unreasonable, I mean no one's gonna eat your eyes"

"I went to Raccoon City and all I got was this lousy T-virus"

User avatar
Slugg
* * * * *
Posts: 1801
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: Butts County Georgia

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by Slugg » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:41 am

My wife would be willing to do a knitting class.
I have my Technician license so I'd be interested in getting my intermediate license if anyone else is interested.
I have the GOP so we could meet and Charlie Elliot for a range day and shoot some clays or targets.

Honestly, after looking at your list I noticed and basically interested in all you listed.
Image
The future is for those who prepare.

XxJACOBxX
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:26 am

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by XxJACOBxX » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:45 am

Those are some great ideas


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

O.D. Green
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead both original and remake
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by O.D. Green » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:58 am

I agree with Slugg, they all great choices. My wife would love to help on the first aid and other medical issue's just let us know so she can make arrangements. Also, as a Katrina refuge who spent three months with out running water and electricity, can testify to the need of being prepared and share my experiences. Also my wife and I are turning our property into self reliant home stead we are currently raising different breeds of chickens and other poultry,gardening and hopefully next spring start bee keeping and raising rabbits, so we can help fellow members with farming issues and soon fresh eggs for the chapter members. I think we should try for all us to meet for some coffee or something to get to know each other.
Historia est magistra vitae

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:38 pm
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by A Zombie » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm glad you guys like the ideas!
Slugg wrote:My wife would be willing to do a knitting class.
Noted. We will have to do that. :) Also, a range day will happen at some point!
O.D. Green wrote:My wife would love to help on the first aid and other medical issue's just let us know so she can make arrangements... Also my wife and I are turning our property into self reliant home stead we are currently raising different breeds of chickens and other poultry,gardening and hopefully next spring start bee keeping and raising rabbits, so we can help fellow members with farming issues and soon fresh eggs for the chapter members. I think we should try for all us to meet for some coffee or something to get to know each other.
Noted as well. I'm glad we already have people who are willing and capable of training. I think farming/gardening would be a great experience too. I helped start a community garden group in East Lansing, Michigan years ago. It was an urban farming thing, buying plots of land in the city that once held houses, but those houses were forclosed, deemed unlivable by the city, and torn down. We bought the lots, built gardens there, and brought the community together to teach them how to garden and to give them fresh produce. It was pretty cool. So I have a little experience with gardening.

I would definitely be down for coffee or grub, if we can get enough people to meet, and decide on the whens and wheres.
-A. Zombie

"All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're not unreasonable, I mean no one's gonna eat your eyes"

"I went to Raccoon City and all I got was this lousy T-virus"

O.D. Green
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead both original and remake
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by O.D. Green » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:12 am

Slugg wrote:My wife would be willing to do a knitting class.
I have my Technician license so I'd be interested in getting my intermediate license if anyone else is interested.
I have the GOP so we could meet and Charlie Elliot for a range day and shoot some clays or targets.

Honestly, after looking at your list I noticed and basically interested in all you listed.
Glad to have some close by into Ham radios, been hoping to meet some close who could get me started with that, also, since we live close by if you want on chapter meeting we can ride together or meet up and do a convoy to the meet
Historia est magistra vitae

O.D. Green
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead both original and remake
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by O.D. Green » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:20 am

A Zombie wrote:I'm glad you guys like the ideas!
Slugg wrote:My wife would be willing to do a knitting class.
Noted. We will have to do that. :) Also, a range day will happen at some point!
O.D. Green wrote:My wife would love to help on the first aid and other medical issue's just let us know so she can make arrangements... Also my wife and I are turning our property into self reliant home stead we are currently raising different breeds of chickens and other poultry,gardening and hopefully next spring start bee keeping and raising rabbits, so we can help fellow members with farming issues and soon fresh eggs for the chapter members. I think we should try for all us to meet for some coffee or something to get to know each other.
Noted as well. I'm glad we already have people who are willing and capable of training. I think farming/gardening would be a great experience too. I helped start a community garden group in East Lansing, Michigan years ago. It was an urban farming thing, buying plots of land in the city that once held houses, but those houses were forclosed, deemed unlivable by the city, and torn down. We bought the lots, built gardens there, and brought the community together to teach them how to garden and to give them fresh produce. It was pretty cool. So I have a little experience with gardening.

I would definitely be down for coffee or grub, if we can get enough people to meet, and decide on the whens and wheres.
My wife and I just getting started on small farm and I glad to have another green thumb in the chapter, the urban gardening is gaining popularity, the last time I was around the GT campus in Atlanta, I saw many residents with their backyard gardens. My wife wants to do an aquapontic system and the honey bee and I'm studying raising rabbits and drawing up plans on a rain catchment system and making plans to fence the property for a couple goats or some pigs, but it takes time
Historia est magistra vitae

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:38 pm
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by A Zombie » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:22 pm

I provided more of the muscle than the actual planning of the gardens. I tilled and shoveled and broke ground. Helped build a greenhouse, chicken coop, rabbit den. Planted, weeded, picked. Installed solar panels on the shed roof to power moisture control fans in the greenhouse. We attached gutters to our shed, each of them draining directly into rain barrels. Things like that. I don't have any experience with beekeeping or livestock.
-A. Zombie

"All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're not unreasonable, I mean no one's gonna eat your eyes"

"I went to Raccoon City and all I got was this lousy T-virus"

User avatar
Slugg
* * * * *
Posts: 1801
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: Butts County Georgia

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by Slugg » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:20 am

Another hobby I recently started doing is fur tanning. I have been preserving small game pelts right now and would like to get a coyote or deer once I get out to the woods. If anyone knows some places with a coyote problem, let me know. I would be willing to help show anybody how I do it and what materials are needed.
Image
The future is for those who prepare.

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:38 pm
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by A Zombie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:48 pm

I don't know anything about coyote problems, but I added your hide tanning training to the list.
-A. Zombie

"All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're not unreasonable, I mean no one's gonna eat your eyes"

"I went to Raccoon City and all I got was this lousy T-virus"

User avatar
Slugg
* * * * *
Posts: 1801
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: Butts County Georgia

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by Slugg » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:39 am

Thanks A Zombie. It doesn't need to be a coyote problem, just a place coyotes have been seen. I want to do some coyote hunting before small game season ends.
Image
The future is for those who prepare.

User avatar
fred.greek
* *
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by fred.greek » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Vitamin, herb, etc. uses in maintaining health & treating injury or illness.

Small scale power storage / generation options, in an emergency some light, communications, perhaps music can make a significant difference in morale.

Water filtration, disinfecting, distillation, etc.

Air filtration and maintaining positive pressure of "good" air in a sealed structure (allowing for changes in air pressure), plants that help clean air.

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:38 pm
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by A Zombie » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:39 pm

fred.greek wrote:Vitamin, herb, etc. uses in maintaining health & treating injury or illness.

Small scale power storage / generation options, in an emergency some light, communications, perhaps music can make a significant difference in morale.

Water filtration, disinfecting, distillation, etc.

Air filtration and maintaining positive pressure of "good" air in a sealed structure (allowing for changes in air pressure), plants that help clean air.
Thanks for the suggestions! I added them to the list.
-A. Zombie

"All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're not unreasonable, I mean no one's gonna eat your eyes"

"I went to Raccoon City and all I got was this lousy T-virus"

User avatar
Davo
* * *
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:27 pm
Location: Atlanta: OTP, NE

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by Davo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:07 pm

The DeKalb EMA has a festival type thing at PDK airport every year, they would probably welcome no-weapon 72-hour bag displays in concert with their CERT program.

http://www.co.dekalb.ga.us/public-safet ... stival.pdf
Last edited by Davo on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:38 pm
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by A Zombie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:50 pm

Davo wrote:The DeKalb EMA has a festival type thing at PDK airport every year, they would probably welcome no-weapon 72-hour bag displays in concert with their CERZt program.

http://www.co.dekalb.ga.us/public-safet ... stival.pdf
I like it! I'll add it to the list when I get to my computer. Thank you.
-A. Zombie

"All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're not unreasonable, I mean no one's gonna eat your eyes"

"I went to Raccoon City and all I got was this lousy T-virus"

User avatar
Tenderfoot
* *
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:26 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland; The Walking Dead
Location: Flowery Branch

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by Tenderfoot » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:29 pm

A Zombie wrote:In the same line of thinking as the Charity event brainstorming topic, we need ideas for preparedness events.

Once we become a chapter, we are required to host at least two preparedness events a year to remain a chapter.

What types of events would you guys like to see? I can (and will) spew out a bunch of ideas of what we could do, but what do you guys want to do? Preparedness is such a broad topic, it encompasses a lot, so we have a lot of leeway here.

I plan on editing this post to include all new idea and keep a running list of our preparedness ideas. Post any ideas you may have, or things you want to see. It doesn't have to be full blown events, it can be little things you want to see in an event. You may want to know more about what to include in a First Aid Kit (FAK). We could have a whole seminar on that, or include a class during a Mock Bug Out (MBO), or include that in any number of activities.
  • First Aid classes (various experience levels)
  • Mock Bug Outs (MBO): So many MBOs. Summer MBOs, Winter MBOs, Mountain MBOs, Forest MBOs. SO MANY MBO'S!!!
  • Bug Out Bag classes (BOB)
  • Ham Radio classes
  • Crafts-type classes. Knitting, wood carving/crafting, etc. For certain crafts, we can donate what we make to charities (like scarves, blankets, etc.) and for other crafts we can sell them at our tabling events (paracord bracelets, for example), and of course we can always use what we make.
  • Range trips. Just to shoot, or for gun safety, cleaning, etc. training
  • Self defense classes
  • Pet bug out bags, and other pet-related survival info. Can't forget about the animals!
  • Wild edibles- our BOBs, BOVs, and BOLs can only have so many supplies. If we're out in the wild, what can we eat and what should we avoid?
  • Bug Out Vehicle (BOV) kit classes, for both summer and winter, or in general
  • Hunting- everything. Safety, snares, traps, field dressing, tracking.
  • Gardening- basics through advanced
  • Archery?
  • BOB hikes
  • Actual emergency training. So we have our BoBs, BoVs, BoLs, but what do we actually do in case of a tornado? Earthquake? Flood? etc.
  • Hide Tanning class- Slugg
  • Vitamin, herb, etc. uses in maintaining health & treating injury or illness.
  • Small scale power storage / generation options, in an emergency some light, communications, perhaps music can make a significant difference in morale.
  • Water filtration, disinfecting, distillation, etc.
  • Air filtration and maintaining positive pressure of "good" air in a sealed structure (allowing for changes in air pressure), plants that help clean air.

I think all of these are great ideas, but the ones in blue are the ones that I am deficient on and would be really interested in learning more about.
"You never know when something will need to be stabbed after being shot repeatedly..."
Local gunstore clerk talking about bayonets

User avatar
Slugg
* * * * *
Posts: 1801
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: Butts County Georgia

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by Slugg » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:19 am

Another idea my wife(SahnToki) and I discussed that is 2 parts for both disaster preparedness and community service. She is a big fiber arts person(Spinning, knitting for example) and would teach a class about the different types followed by a "Alright, you have yarn and knitting needles. This is the easiest way to make a winter hat" The second part of the event would then be to encourage members who recently learned knitting to donate their knitted hats to cancer patients. My wife does this every year where she knits winter hats for a few weeks and then donates all she makes to a group that hands them out at hospitals to people going through chemo. What do you guys think? I'm going to call around local libraries to see if we could get a room to teach in and maybe they would post it for people to attend. Sounds interesting to me.
Image
The future is for those who prepare.

A Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:38 pm
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by A Zombie » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:01 am

We talked about this the first time we met, Slugg, and I loved the idea then. Still do. I'm on board.
-A. Zombie

"All we wanna do is eat your brains. We're not unreasonable, I mean no one's gonna eat your eyes"

"I went to Raccoon City and all I got was this lousy T-virus"

User avatar
Davo
* * *
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:27 pm
Location: Atlanta: OTP, NE

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by Davo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:40 pm

Excellent - I've wanted to learn to knit, but never put in more than an hour at a time learning.

I know a neonatal nurse that knits booties for the newborns, too, so there are plenty of potential recipients.
Image Image

User avatar
KJ4ZDD
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:41 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Preparedness Event brainstorming

Post by KJ4ZDD » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Bump - all of this information is good.
Davo wrote:The DeKalb EMA has a festival type thing at PDK airport every year, they would probably welcome no-weapon 72-hour bag displays in concert with their CERT program.
2nd_annual_preparedness_festival.pdf (2011)
That annual Dekalb County Emergency Preparedness Festival is coming up pretty quickly in September. Strangely, the DekalbEMA.org website went down recently, and as far as I'm aware CERT is still holding their training classes. Fortunately another Georgia government agency, Ready Georgia, has kept tabs on this event, and has a page dedicated to it here. The details:

What: Dekalb County Emergency Preparedness Festival
When: Saturday, September 19, 2015 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Where: North Dekalb Mall, 2050 Lawrenceville Hwy, North Decatur, 30033
About:
  • See interactive emergency vehicle displays
  • Receive disaster and emergency preparedness info
  • Learn about fire safety & crime prevention
  • Prepare for pet and large animal crisis care
For additional information, please contact Robert Swanson at 678.406.7858 or raswanson@dekalbcountyga.gov


I'd also like to cross post here some information I got at the Prepper's Vault event. Inside the building there was a demonstration on fire starting (even on wet wood!), held by The Native Pathfinder. He holds regular classes on survival skills, and in talking with him, he'd love to work with us on some future group event. I explained that for anything to work, it would have to be planned over a month in advance, and he's still very willing to work with Zombie Squad. Here's a link to his Facebook, and, a link to his Website. The best part? He's very local, based out of Newborn, GA (just north of Charlie Elliot WMA).
KJ4ZDD of ZSC-016 -.- .--- ....- --.. -.. -..
Image
General Class / Fleet#ZS-0511

Post Reply

Return to “ZSC:016”